Nov 26, 2014, 10:47 AM
Discussion

Cheerson cx-10 alternative Firmware

Hi,

I just want to share my weekend project

i made a acro mode FW for the cheerson cx-10 which workes with PPM receivers.
here is a quik video.. ill make better ones soon.
cheerson cx10 acro firmware (0 min 17 sec)

i use the deltang RX32d (http://deltang.co.uk/rx32d-34.htm) RX because its small and it supports PPM out.

but any other PPM receiver can be used if its small enough and can work with 3- 4.2V (1s lipo)

if you are intressted, here is what you need

1. USB Uart
2. a PPM RX that fits into or onto the cx-10
3. the cheerson cx-10 with the red mainboard (i dont have the green one, it may require some modifications)
4. decent solder skills
5. the STM32 flash loader demonstrator (http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257525) or any other stm32F050 flash loader
6. this FW

here is a drawing of the connections:

i have to say that you will need to disable the read protection of the MCU which will erase the orginal FW without a chance to restore it!
so the only way back is to buy a new mainboard.

for now my FW can just do acro (manual or gyro) mode. it reads the ACC too but for now it dont uses it. it can write some telemetrie datas to a serial monitor (arduino or putty or like) to see what is going on internaly.. but there are no settings..

some things like rates, PID's or the receiver channel order can be changed in the config.h..

how to:
1. connect the USB-Uart to the cheerson board as showen in the image above
2. close the boot jumper
3. open the stm32flash loader demonstrator and flash the hex file that is included in the attached zip
4. open the boot jumper
5. connect you RX as showen in the image above
6. connect the USB-Uart again and open a serial monitor with 115200 baud.
7. setup all channels (throttle should go from 0-1000 all other channels should be -500 - 0 - +500)
8. switch it on and wait till the right LED's are stable on (showes that the gyro is calibrated)
9. it is armed if aux1 channel goes high. (the left LED's go on)
10. if the battery is empty (some time less then 2.9V) all LED's will flicker

as this is spare time work i wont host it because i might have no time to take care.. if someone wants to .. its free (source files are included)

Upadate v0.7 (CX-10_acro_FW_RED_BLUE_v07):

- added support for the blue cheerson board
- added a differend PPM order (throttle,roll,pitch,yaw,aux1,aux2 for deltang RX and roll,pitch,throttle,yaw,aux1,aux2 for orange RX)
- some bugs are fixed.(low battery warning and arm procedure)

for the blue board:

- you will need a SWD programmer
- the serial (telemetry) can just be used if the motors are not connected.. to activate it anyway uncomment FORCE_SERIAL.

regards

Felix
Last edited by juuuut; Dec 04, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2014, 11:29 AM
It's brillant !!!!!
It's multiwii based ?
Latest blog entry: Youbi XV-130 130MM FPV Racer
Nov 26, 2014, 11:41 AM
It would be amazing if you can port any nRF24L01 protocols (v2x2, skywalker). All source codes can be found in bradwii or deviationTX project.... In this case, no more need to use an external RX
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Nov 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:53 AM
Suscribed!!!
Nov 27, 2014, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
It's brillant !!!!!
It's multiwii based ?
Hi,

as i worked some time on MWC (~2013) i may have some similarities in the way things are done. but its a complete new project.

Quote:
It would be amazing if you can port any nRF24L01 protocols (v2x2, skywalker). All source codes can be found in bradwii or deviationTX project.... In this case, no more need to use an external RX
possible but i dont have any TX that supports it.. or is it the same protocol that the small cheerson TX uses?

as i said .. its free and anyone can add what he wants .. the next things that on my list are support for the green cheerson board and maybe a level mode and some more RX's (spektrum sat & gr sumD)
we will see..

here is a nother bad mobile video .. today i may do a good one
cheerson cx10 light acro flight (0 min 36 sec)

regards

Felix
Nov 27, 2014, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juuuut
Hi,

as i worked some time on MWC (~2013) i may have some similarities in the way things are done. but its a complete new project.

possible but i dont have any TX that supports it.. or is it the same protocol that the small cheerson TX uses?

Felix
Yes... the so-called "SkyWalker" protocol is the the one use in the CX-10 red board. the source code (yd717_nrf24l01.c ) of this protocol can be found in

https://bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue...rc/?at=default

in the protocol subfolder
Nov 27, 2014, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Yes... the so-called "SkyWalker" protocol is the the one use in the CX-10 red board. the source code (yd717_nrf24l01.c ) of this protocol can be found in

https://bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue...rc/?at=default

in the protocol subfolder
thank you.. ill have a look. but as i said in the first post i cant promise anything as i will just work on it when i have spare time

today i took a video with my gopro1.. its a bit dark but i think you will see more then in the previous videos.
cheerson cx10 acro FW hunting my dog (1 min 35 sec)

regards

felix
Nov 27, 2014, 09:52 AM
Wow great job, I wonder how come no companies came out with something similar already. Maybe you should try to get hirred by one...
Nov 27, 2014, 04:49 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
That's just totally insane, Felix! Pure genius. Echt Spitze!

Better have good eyes and a steady hand for this, in addition to excellent soldering skills.
Nov 30, 2014, 11:45 PM
<Marty>
Subscribed !!! This would defiantly solve my issue getting the NRF module working in my devo12....
Looking so much forward to see how this progresses ...

Thank you so much for sharing your work and info...
Dec 01, 2014, 04:31 AM
I Void Warranties
Nice project juuuut, this is the first time I hear someone has built an alternative firmware for stm32 based toy quads.
Could you put your code on github please, that would be easier to contribute and help with the integrated RF chip if necessary
Dec 01, 2014, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish
Nice project juuuut, this is the first time I hear someone has built an alternative firmware for stm32 based toy quads.
Could you put your code on github please, that would be easier to contribute and help with the integrated RF chip if necessary
Thanks!

and no, thats what i said in the first post.. i cant say how much time i will have for that project so i wont put it anywhere because if i do i have to take care .

you are welcome to put it on github!

regards

Felix
Dec 01, 2014, 12:15 PM
I Void Warranties
SeByDocKy, has the RF protocol of the "newer" green pcb version been reversed ?
Does it even use a nrf24l01 compatible chip ? (at least at the RF level)
Dec 01, 2014, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish
SeByDocKy, has the RF protocol of the "newer" green pcb version been reversed ?
Does it even use a nrf24l01 compatible chip ? (at least at the RF level)
Not yet reversed and If I remember well it's using the XN297 .... (but I am not sure at all)

EDIT. Hexfet and btoschi are close to the hack but in fact ... not sure we can emulate 100% the XN297 with the nRF24L01... even if the first one is assume to be a clone of it ....
Dec 01, 2014, 12:23 PM
I Void Warranties
Ok, maybe I should get one and contribute, you know I like to reverse tx/rx protocols There's yet one new version with head lock feature for preorder (bg).
I'd like to make sure the rf chip is nrf24l01 compatible but I can't find an english datasheet for the Panchip XN297.