May 10, 2004, 02:38 AM
Going Home
Thread OP
Alert

Please take a look at this and give me your Honest Opinion

What do you think of this plane? Is this plane a good plane to have quality and reliabilty wise ? How hard / easy is it to fly? I've been doing a little research on the Sopwith Camel and discovered that back in WWI, the real ones had an attendancy to spin out of control in tight turns. This one flaw resulted in the death of more pilots in training than in actual combat. LOOK HERE for more details. Does the park flyer version of this plane have the same problem?
Last edited by Starguard; May 10, 2004 at 02:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2004, 08:31 AM
Do a search for Wattage Sopwith Camel here and see what luck others have had with this plane.

I don't think it would make a very good trainer. Might be okay for a second or third plane.

A much better choice would be a Tigermoth or SlowStik. If you like buying on EBay check this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
May 10, 2004, 08:50 AM
Come fly with us in Henryetta

shamelss plug here....

You could also look at mine... Ready to fly
Ad you reciever and fly.
May 10, 2004, 10:56 AM
The Wattage Camel is on sale @ Hobby People for $39.99.
HERE

I went with a GWS Tiger Moth for a Cul-de-sac knock around flyer. It is not finished yet, but I can say that I'm not impressed with the quality of it for a ~$54 kit. You will prob. have as many mods in a Tiger Moth as you would a Camel. They will just be different mods.

If you want restriced space flying, check out the Steven's Aero Diddlebug. It is a sweet flyer. A flyer at my local indoor session had one out last session. No problem flying in a single gym. It is even considered a "looker" by some. Has those love it or hate it looks

Linky
Last edited by tiberius; May 10, 2004 at 11:00 AM.
May 10, 2004, 11:25 AM
Starguard,

The reason the real Sopwith Camels torque rolled (often immediately after the wheels lifted off) was the torque effect of the powerful radial engine - where the cylinders rotated (spun) around a fixed crankshaft ! Can't see you having that problem unless you fit a steaming great outrunner !!! lol.

Nigel
Jul 24, 2004, 11:29 PM
Flying is a gamble.
I second Nigel's comment.

Don't let it be forgotten that a full-scale airplane and a scale R/C plane only have one thing truly in common: they look similar. Although you can precisely scale down an aircraft, you cannot scale down the air molecules through which they fly. The specific aerodynamic design that might allow a full scale aircraft to fly beautifully may not work when scaled down to 1/15th it's size.

A well designed parkflyer will usually outperform the aircraft that it is modeled after. Seek the experiences of others when considering a new purchase. When reading reviews and forums, always try to get a feel for the commentor's experience level, too. Just because someone who's been flying for twenty years can fly a model without problems doesn't mean that a newbie will be able to! By the same token, someone who has a difficult time flying any model might not be a good source of information at all.

The moral? Judge carefully, and you will be rewarded with a great experience flying many different r/c models!

-Wayne

Quick Reply