Nov 24, 2014, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

WLtoys V666, the RTF 5.8G FPV plateform

INTRODUCTION

In summer 2013, WIltoys introduced the V262, a direct AR-drone2 clone but in brushed configuration. Then followed, the V333 introducing the "Headless" function. Here with the V666, WLtoys is offering a full RTF FPV kit clearly targetting beginners who can't/don't want to build their own FPV quadcopters. With this kit, you can enjoy FPV out-of-the box!!!!

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x WLtoys V666 (with a 2S 1200Ah LiPo ending with JST connector)
+ 1 x HD ready camera/125mW [email protected]
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x 4Go microSD card
+ 1 x USB microSD card reader
+ 1 x 4".3 LCD monitor/VRX with SMA connector
+ 2 x 5.8Ghz dipole antennas
+ 1 x USB charger cable (for the LCD screen)
+ 1 x Power adaptor
+ 1 x Lipo charger
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (English/chinese)

OVERVIEW

Main body

The main visible différences with a V262 can be found beneath the foam canopy. You can find now: i) longer motor feet and ii) camera coupled with a shocks absorber system.

The 2.4G antenna is now jailed into a heatshrink tube located in the front left arm in order to decrease interférences with the 5.8G part. With this positionning, the V666 is optimizing its 2.4G reception in the horizontal plan. So with this particular choice, you can expect to fly at higher altitudes than the V262. 150m can be reached.

Each foot is scaling 2.6g

The total weight of the V666 is 349g with the shipped dipole antenna

and 9g can be saved with a 5.8G CL antenna

Without the 70g of the foam, the total weight is reduced to 269.5g with a CL antenna

LiPo

The 1200mAh 2S LiPo is ending with a JST connector. Approximatively 50min to charge

Propellers

Shaft and ballbearings

On more time WLtoys is saving costs by using some oïl bushing instead of Ball-Bearings. BB's dimensions are 3mmx6mmx2mm

Motors

The same motors than for the V262 & V333. Some N50 brushed motors with a N40 PCB on trop.

For 350mm size, such brushed motors are representing the limits to go for full brushless motors. Friction and températures are very importants during flights. A direct consquence is their relatively poor life especially if you are abusing of flips and extra weight. I strongly advice to pick up two extra motors as spare when you are ordering the V666. A important procedure, in order to save/extend motor's life is to perform a breakin procedure, i.e. force motors to spin at low throttle during 8-10min and clean residues

WLtoys V666 dry "breakin" procedure (Courtesy Banggood) (1 min 51 sec)

I am advising to clean motors (airflow, clearner spary) every 5-6 flights. As soon as possible, try to save 70g by removing the foam. Fly easy too, don't be too much agressive.

Flight controler board

With this version, the classic mini54zan is replaced with another ARM core. We still find the Beken2423 and the MPU 6050 for the 6-axis stabilization. You can also find the compass/magnetometer chip (L883), so the "headless" feature is physically here (press the photo button more than 3 seconds)

Since, the MCU is no more a mini54zan, this board is no more Bradwii compatible (except if this new ARM core is 100% compatible with the mini54zan). The HL004 is a 100% clone of the mini54zan so bradwii compatible.

Video transmitter/camera

The orientation of the camera lens can ajusted within +/-30 deg. Unfortunatly, the field of view is narrow less than 90 degrees IMHO (approx 60-65 degree I would say). For FPV, the camera is broadcasting in NTSC format. The VTX must be connected to the balancer plug.

NEVER CONNECT THE VTX WITHOUT INSTALLING THE ANTENNA BEFORE. YOU CAN KILL THE VTX IF NOT

The VTX have a SMA connector. It means, you cal install any 5.8G (50ohms) antenna. I installed directly some CloverLeaf antenna. Unfortunatly, no micro-switch dip to select a channel is present. The VTX is glued @5945Mhz (Boscam band). It means, you can't fly simultaneously two V666 in the same area. AFAIK, at 5945Mhz, it's not compatible with Fatshark goggles (at least 8 ch models).

The output power reaches 125mW which is much more I was expected (I was expecting 25mW to be CE compliant). So this is a good news. You can expect 200m for the live transmission without problem, at least more than the control range ~100-150m.

A microSD slot can welcome the 4Go provided card. Largely enough to record 1h10min in HD ready format (720p)

I installed an extra tiny piece of foam to absorbe vibrations between the camera mount and the camera itself. My HD videos were almost jellofree at the end.

Notice than the audio is not broadcasted in the FPV part(seems logic since the LCD display don't have any speaker). The audio is recorded only in the microSD card

The quality if the HD ready camera is correct without being fantastic.... Light sensitivity is not excellent (around 1 Lux I would say), colors are dull too but it's not a VGA camera cheating the 720p via interpolation at least !!!.
When the recording is turned on, the FPV part is slowing down to 15FPS approximatively.

Transmitter

We retrieve the deluxe transmitter chassis from WLtoys. A switchable model between mode1,2,3,4. The novolty is the hole to welcome the monitors' fixation.

Close to 700g for the total system

LCD monitor

The 4".3 monitor is a first entry model. No specific settings can be done. The display's screen is brillant so expect a lot of sun'rays reflexion on it.

No micro switch dip to select a specific channel. By modding the internal VRX, it should be possible to install such switch

The display is internally powered by a 1S lipo (500 ot 600mAh model). A basic mod woul fbe to install a JST connector.

FIRST USAGE

With an extra 60g, I was afraid to loose some flight performances compared with the V262 especially with the bodyguard installed. It's not really the case, the V666 is slill flighing smooth in 40-60% speed rates but can offer more sporty behaviours in higher rates. Of course, with the foam installed, the V666 is litterally "air-breaked" and the maximum speed is considerably reduced compared to results obtained without the foam. With the 1200mAh LiPo, I got a solid 8mins before the LVC alarms let the LED flashing, so it's a good point.
I directly installed some CL antennas (cheap Banggood models). The video link was good, no blue screen within a range of 50m in this tree condition, of course with some statics time to time because I was flying nearby trees). In a more open space/or for altitude fligths, the video transmission is very solid. The LCD screen is very brillant and even with the anti-sun protection, it can be sometimes difficult to see the screen. The field of view is narrow, around 60-65 degrees approximatively. An important mod would be to install a wider lens. A 120 deg is relatively good choice for FPV. A priori, the 808#16 lens D is compatible. I like the fact, that the VTX can be swicth on/off indepently from the main V666 lead connectors since the VTX is plugged on the balancer port of the LiPo.

WLtoys V666 outdoors test with "Live" FPV (Courtesy Banggood) (9 min 10 sec)

WLtoys V666 outdoors test: HDcam + "live" FPV outputs (Courtesy Banggood) (2 min 49 sec)

CONCLUSIONS

If the original goal of the V666 is to offer a very simple FPV kit, the objective is reached. Plug,bind and Fly with the live video., that's all.. no other extra features... Of course, if you have some nominal knowledges, you will run away from such kit because you already know what to do or not to do to build a good brushless FPV plateform. But for beginners, this V666 can be interesting because, even with the extra camera weight, the V666 is not really dangerous for nearby humans. You don't need 6 intensive months to learn/train basic notions to build your own DIY 250mm frame.The control range is limited (< 150m) so no big risks to loose it far away (a buzzer alarm is a must have).
The main problem of the V666 is one more time the brushed motors. You need absoluptly to fly it easy, the more lighter as possible (no extra Gopro for example) and regulary clean motors. And even with these précautions.... motors are dying rather fast (30-40 flights in average). I am strongly advice to order at least two spare motors in the same time.

UNBOXING

WLtoys V666 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Banggood) (28 min 53 sec)

PROS

+ Full FPV kit out of the box
+ Stable flyer for a first video plateform
+ Good switchable TX (mode 1,2,3,4 available)
+ 125mW VTX
+ SMA connectors
+ Correct HD ready camera
+ Efficient camera mount absorbing vibrations, almost jello free plateform
+ LVC LEDs alarm (around 8mm of flight)
+ "V2x2" protocol
+ DeviationTX compatible

CONS

- N50 brushed motor requiring a lot of precautions to extend their life/and to be stocked as spare
- Video frenquency channel can't be set (fixed @5945Mhz)
- Still using oïl bushings
- Bright monitor's screen
- Frame rate drop (~ 15FPS) for the FPV part when recording is turned on
- Narrow Field of view for the camera
- Headless function (reference "Homelock") not available via button with the shipped TX Can be activated by pressing the "photo" button more than 3seconds
- Noisy with foam

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.
You can find it actually for 175 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V666-5_8G-FPV-6-Axis-RC-Quadcopter-With-HD-Camera-Monitor-RTF-p-944001.html

EDIT spare parts are now almost all available

https://www.banggood.com/buy/V666.html

Spare motors

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V666-RC-Quadcopter-Spare-Parts-Motor-With-Gear-p-956811.html

- Compatible Ball bearings (x 8)

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-MJX-F47-F647-RC-Helicopter-Spare-Parts-Bearing-p-57426.html

- Compatible Widelens

http://www.banggood.com/Lens-D-Module-120-Degree-with-case-for-808--16-HD-Camera-Camcorder-720P-Mini-DV-p-906428.html

see modding procedure: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=18

Cloverleaf antennas

-For the VTX (L-SMA type) :

http://www.banggood.com/5_8G-3-Leaves-Omnidirectional-Gain-Antenna-p-73560.html

- For the VRX (W-SMA type):

http://www.banggood.com/5_8G-4-Leaves-Omnidirectional-Gain-Antenna-p-73559.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 03, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2014, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Extra photos

Last edited by SeByDocKy; Nov 25, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
Nov 24, 2014, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Reserved part 3
Nov 24, 2014, 04:30 PM
The New DaVinci
As always SeBy a very in depth and detailed review. Its a little more expensive, bigger and possibly a shorter motor life than the 107D but I do like the monitor. I seriously doubt I'd buy 1 for myself as my next quad is gonna be either a WL V 303 or a Cheerson CX-20, I've got a WL V 959, a Hubsan 107D and a Walkera QR W100S so my next step will be the 350 sizes.
Nov 24, 2014, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo76
As always SeBy a very in depth and detailed review. Its a little more expensive, bigger and possibly a shorter motor life than the 107D but I do like the monitor. I seriously doubt I'd buy 1 for myself as my next quad is gonna be either a WL V 303 or a Cheerson CX-20, I've got a WL V 959, a Hubsan 107D and a Walkera QR W100S so my next step will be the 350 sizes.
Seems to be a logical move
Nov 24, 2014, 05:08 PM
Thank you for the very nice and informative review Sebydocky.
I am looking at these CL antennas:
http://www.banggood.com/5_8Ghz-Mushr...-p-942317.html
Is it supposed to be RP-SMA or regular SMA connector?
Also, would you recommend the L or the W type for this kit?
Nov 24, 2014, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trase
Thank you for the very nice and informative review Sebydocky.
I am looking at these CL antennas:
http://www.banggood.com/5_8Ghz-Mushr...-p-942317.html
Is it supposed to be RP-SMA or regular SMA connector?
Also, would you recommend the L or the W type for this kit?

Ok I will add in #1 the two types of CL I used
Nov 24, 2014, 05:53 PM
V911 - H107C HD - X5C - V666
Wow, the PCB has headless mode built in!! Can anyone with a V333 TX confirm if this mode can be activated? Sebydocky, did you try holding down either of the two the camera button for a few seconds (this is how headless is activated on the V333) to see if that works?

Would be a good little bonus if we could get this 'hidden' feature working...

Great review by the way, can't wait to recieve mine!
Nov 24, 2014, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorks Astro
Wow, the PCB has headless mode built in!! Can anyone with a V333 TX confirm if this mode can be activated? Sebydocky, did you try holding down either of the two the camera button for a few seconds (this is how headless is activated on the V333) to see if that works?

Would be a good little bonus if we could get this 'hidden' feature working...

Great review by the way, can't wait to recieve mine!
I tried with the V636 TX and it worked .... No I didn't try to hold the camera button... I will tmr For Me it's time to sleep (a bit)
Nov 25, 2014, 02:38 PM
Will you be trying to change the camera lens to a wider one yourself?

As for bearings, it seems to be easier to find 3x6x2.5mm ones, would those be possible to fit?

This seem to be an affordable and interesting platform for a first venture into FPV. I was thinking of the Hubsan H107D before but this one seems more promising. Will probably buy it as a christmas present for myself
Nov 26, 2014, 02:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by trase
Will you be trying to change the camera lens to a wider one yourself?

As for bearings, it seems to be easier to find 3x6x2.5mm ones, would those be possible to fit?

This seem to be an affordable and interesting platform for a first venture into FPV. I was thinking of the Hubsan H107D before but this one seems more promising. Will probably buy it as a christmas present for myself
No I don't advice to take some 2.5mm instead of 2mm...
AFAIK the BB of the V959/V212 (old version) are fitting perfectly.

As fait, your flying gently ... (don't abuse of flips for example).... it's a stable plateform... Of course, if you can remove the foam asap... the motors will thanks you
Nov 29, 2014, 05:37 PM
@SeByDocKy, So only you can help me... Or someone else...
And I think you already know my problem.. I would install an OSD on this V666 and I know it's better to make you own installation but i want to test...
3 things are very important for me... RSSI (TX signal 2.4) and RSSI (Video singal 5.8g) and battery lever (no problem for that)... On my Video Tx, I think I can do something with the yellow wire for video.. Ok..
But for my RSSI Video where should I connect my +/- for my OSD on the pic?... At the antenna in?.. Or somewhere else on the Video or camera motherboard?...

And for my RSSI Tx, where I should connect my +/- OSD wire on the Quad motherboard?.. Antenna in or on the Quad motherboard?... Please help as you can...
PS: It seems you are french?.. Please check out my mail for a best chat... In french lol..
Nov 29, 2014, 05:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky972
@SeByDocKy, So only you can help me... Or someone else...
And I think you already know my problem.. I would install an OSD on this V666 and I know it's better to make you own installation but i want to test...
3 things are very important for me... RSSI (TX signal 2.4) and RSSI (Video singal 5.8g) and battery lever (no problem for that)... On my Video Tx, I think I can do something with the yellow wire for video.. Ok..
But for my RSSI Video where should I connect my +/- for my OSD on the pic?... At the antenna in?.. Or somewhere else on the Video or camera motherboard?...

And for my RSSI Tx, where I should connect my +/- OSD wire on the Quad motherboard?.. Antenna in or on the Quad motherboard?... Please help as you can...
PS: It seems you are french?.. Please check out my mail for a best chat... In french lol..
Hummm for the 2.4G RSSI, I don't think it will be possible easily to output the RSSI because the nRF24L01 don't have a dedicaced pin for it. For the 5.8G, the RSSI is almost useless, since it's the quality of your image the real RSSI measure. Only the Vbat can be monitored easily
Nov 29, 2014, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Hummm for the 2.4G RSSI, I don't think it will be possible easily to output the RSSI because the nRF24L01 don't have a dedicaced pin for it. For the 5.8G, the RSSI is almost useless, since it's the quality of your image the real RSSI measure. Only the Vbat can be monitored easily
Ok you really helped me.. I will continue asking and looking out for that...
Dec 03, 2014, 01:03 PM
Bonjour SeByDocKy,
Super revue de détail!
J'ai commandé le v666 chez Bangood, mais ils me disent qu'ils ne peuvent pas l'envoyer: Voici ce qu'ils m'écrivent:
"For the item [SKU164155]WLtoys V666 5.8G FPV 6 Axis RC Quadcopter With HD Camera Monitor RTF,it is mailing with DHL shipping as usual.
But DHl shipping can't mail to your country and we don't sent it to you now."
Ca serait sympa si tu pouvait m'éclairer...Je crois comprendre que c'est une question de batterie
Merci d'avance
Philippe ( je suis en Bretagne...)

Quick Reply