Nov 24, 2014, 08:38 AM
New Product

Boscam CM205 vs Spektrum UM FPV Camera

I had an opportunity to get my hands on a couple ultra-Micro cameras a few days back. BuddyRC Donated a Boscam CM205 ultra micro Camera to me and I thought it would be a great opportunity to put it to the test and see how it compared to the Spektrum Ultra Micro FPV Camera (Thanks to my friend John Markham for letting me use his Spektrum camera). I was shocked to see a $25 Camera not just out performs but Blew the $100 Spektrum Camera out of the water. Here is what I found.

Boscam CM205
Name: Boscam CM205.jpg
Views: 410
Size: 596.7 KB
Description: Boscam CM205 (BuddyRc.com)
Price $24.95 (BuddyRc.com)
Weight 10g
Battery 1cell Lipo 600mah
Max Distance 250’ (Signal present but Bad)
Optimal distance 175’ (Very good Picture)
Mw ??
Antenna Linier

The Boscam CM205. Let me start with the obvious downfall (Not really a downfall for me). For all of you Fat Shark Goggle owners. This camera will not work with your headset. It will work with any headset with 32 channel support. The next downfall is that it does not have a plug that will just plug right into a lipo batter (Very easy $3 fix). I made my own plug which was very simple to make. I’m getting about 6 flights with the same battery that is used in the 180QX (do not exceed a 1 cell battery). If weight is an issue you can carefully dismantle the plug and remove the voltage regulator, and solder your Battery plug straight to it.
Name: Boscam Low weight.jpg
Views: 216
Size: 592.4 KB
Description: Boscam Low weight plug
The distance is unreal. I tested this in the local Golf Dome and I was at the far end of the dome and still had picture, however the picture quality was a little challenging in low light. I cranked up the brightness on my goggles and I could see just fine. Sure there was some interference, but I had that kind of interference on both cameras. I did notice with the Boscam that as I was flying away the picture was worse than if I was flying towards me.
Boscam CM205 (1 min 15 sec)

Spektrum Ultra Micro
Name: Spektrum.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 24.6 KB
Description: Spektrum Ultra Micro FPV Camera
Price $99.99 (Horizon Hobby)
Weight 4.5g
Battery 1 cell Lipo
Max Distance 120’ Complete loss of signal
Optimal distance Loses most Clarity around 70’
Mw ??
Antenna Circular Polarized

So here is the low down on the Spektrum. The Spektrum is much lighter, already has the wiring needed to plug and go, and they work with Fat Shark Goggles. The picture quality is much better in lower light areas. The issue with the Spektrum is for that kind of price I cannot believe the distance and quality of image is so POOR! We had a simple cone that we were flying around and could not even make it to the cone. The only place I can think this would be good for is flying it around the living room or flying very close so you can get the hang of the FPV Concept.
Spektrum UM FPV (1 min 17 sec)

In Closing, I am cheap so it was easy for me to choose the $25 camera at first. Now that I have flown both first hand I feel comfortable with my choice of the Boscam. Yes you have to make or buy a plug, but to me that is an acceptable trade off. The boscam weighs more and if that is an issue you can shave a couple grams by dismantling the plug and soldering a JST connector straight to the voltage regulator. I have done this for the Boscam that I run on one of my 250 quads. I have included a couple video’s for reference.

I would like to thank BuddyRC.com for the products. Their support has been awesome.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 24, 2014, 08:57 AM
Thank you for the review Wes!
Nov 24, 2014, 09:39 AM
Toaster, not Toast
Do you know what's going on inside the plug? It looks heavier than the camera. Could you cut it off completely and connect the battery straight to the camera? You mention a voltage regulator in your review; is that in the plug? This looks like an amazing deal for micro FPV. Also, what kind of goggles are you using? Thanks for posting this, by the way.

-Topher
Latest blog entry: Evolution Woodie
Nov 24, 2014, 01:23 PM
I am using the Skyzone Diversity goggles. I actually had the opportunity to dissect the plug on the boscam. There is a Voltage regulator in the plug that reduces the voltage down to 3.3 Volts.Be VERY careful it is hard to get out without damaging the wires to the board. After removing the board from the plug I opted to keep the voltage regulator and solder a jr receiver connector right to the end of the board. I then hooked the jr to the 6th channel on my receiver which is where it is now getting its power. No extra battery needed.
Nov 24, 2014, 01:28 PM
If you damage the wiring you can use this picture to solder the wire back onto the board. I found it online http://www.supermotoxl.com/FPV/UAV-m...nu-id-119.html

Name: boscam CM205 wireing.jpg
Views: 733
Size: 118.8 KB
Description:
Nov 24, 2014, 06:36 PM
Toaster, not Toast
Thanks for that. Any idea what the setup weighs now?

-Topher
Nov 24, 2014, 07:27 PM
5.8g
Nov 24, 2014, 07:30 PM
Toaster, not Toast
Impressive. I hope you post some more videos for us to check out. I'd love to see how it works in daylight.
Nov 24, 2014, 08:06 PM
I was just talking about that with a friend tonight. I have seen a couple videos of people flying with the spektrum outside and it looks like they were getting more than 120'. Im curious to see if maybe the dome had an effect on the antennas. I will investigate and post my results soon.
Dec 12, 2014, 02:53 PM
Good thread! I recently started looking into this.
It seems the Spektrum UM gains in that its easy to setup...
A lot of people like me do not understand exactly what is needed for exact FPV requirements ( plus compatibility between systems)
Thank god some people help and clarify this further to help the noobs
How much would the extra setup cost to get the Boscam CM205 up and running on a micro? 5-10 bucks for that cable and setup, and purchasing compatible googles (such as? any particular models you think of?)
Thanks!
Dec 13, 2014, 11:34 PM
As for the battery adapter plug I think I had $5 total in materials to make the plug and it contained enough supplies to make 2 plugs from my local Radio Shack. The biggest issue here is what type of goggles or monitor setup you are using. If you are using the Fatshark goggles or Immersion compatible receiver with monitor then you would have to stick with the specktrum UM camera due to the channel restrictions on the immersion/ Fatshark setup. If you are one of the fortunate people that have a 32 channel receiver or goggle setup Like the Skyzone goggles or Boscam goggles then the CM205 is a much better fit as it operates on the 5705 frequencies. Both goggles sell at any online FPV store. BuddyRC is a local store for me so I tend to lean toward them. You can find both set of goggles listed here http://www.buddyrc.com/fpv/monitor.html

I hope I answered your question.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:31 AM
Hey Hertz,
What plug does the cm205 use? I just got mine and I'm not sure.
Thanks
Tim
Jan 22, 2015, 06:41 AM
Can you remove that plug and voltage regulator and just power the camera with a 1s battery? I'm planing on using this on the dromida ominus. I love this hobby. Goggles in route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_hertz
I am using the Skyzone Diversity goggles. I actually had the opportunity to dissect the plug on the boscam. There is a Voltage regulator in the plug that reduces the voltage down to 3.3 Volts.Be VERY careful it is hard to get out without damaging the wires to the board. After removing the board from the plug I opted to keep the voltage regulator and solder a jr receiver connector right to the end of the board. I then hooked the jr to the 6th channel on my receiver which is where it is now getting its power. No extra battery needed.
Jan 22, 2015, 06:44 AM
it's hard to make that picture out. so, neg is on the end and pos is the next lug up on the board? Also, do you think I can hook up a 1s to just the camera board?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_hertz
If you damage the wiring you can use this picture to solder the wire back onto the board. I found it online http://www.supermotoxl.com/FPV/UAV-m...nu-id-119.html

Attachment 7316934
Jan 31, 2015, 07:30 AM
Sorry for the late reply Guys.
@_HypnoToad_
The plug that I picked up at RadioShack was a Size H or 1.3mm Barrel Jack

http://www.radioshack.com/size-h-coa...2BPLUG&start=2

@darmiejr
I believe that the regulator board is a must have. You will need that board in order to use a 1S battery. The 1S battery is pushing 4.2 volts at it max capacity and as low at 3.5 at its lowest. From the research I have done if the voltage to the camera ever exceeds 3.3v it will blow the camera.

As for the wiring there are 4 wires inside the pigtail. The Blue and Green wire are your ground and they solder to the regulator board on the right side. The Red is your power wire and it goes to the Left side of the Regulator Board. The Gold wire is an additional power wire and it solders to the middle pin on the regulator Board.
Last edited by Electric_hertz; Jan 31, 2015 at 07:38 AM.

Quick Reply