Nov 23, 2014, 07:22 PM
Rudders are overrated
Thread OP
Build Log

Scale Build-Off 4 Guillows 16 1/2" span Messerschmitt BF-109

Alright, here we go. Going to try to build two Guillows conversions ... SIMULTANEOUSLY

Hahaha alright (bad) jokes aside, I'm starting a build log for the newest addition to my Guillows kit collection, the BF-109. I've always had a thing for this plane, not sure why. This is the smaller out of the two models that Guillows makes, and I'm going to try to make this one run off of 2s, brushless power.

Given it's TINY size, this is going to be a real challenge... So consider it accepted!
I'll be using most of the same guts that went in my failed Hellcat conversion, may she rest in piece(s). Links below.

This will be mostly a side project while I finish my P-47 (which has also been entered in the Scale Build-Off) since the larger bird takes priority, but I would really like to get a nice flying micro model for the winter/indoor season.

So thanks for reading, and wish me luck!

Specs:
Currently debating on whether or not to go with 3 or 4 channels.. 4 would be full house controls, T/E/A/R, 3 would just exclude the rudder (T/E/A ?) hahaha I love these acronyms Gear will be static, possibly excluded. We'll see what the weight looks like later in the build.

Motor: 180 size
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-525.htm
ESC: 7 amp
http://www.headsuphobby.com/HURC-7-A...-ESC-G-585.htm
Serovs: 3.2 gram
http://www.headsuphobby.com/iFlight-...ervo-G-675.htm
Battery: 2s 300mah Turnigy (hobbyking)
Prop: GWS 5030
Rx: Lemon rx 6ch DSMX

Pics to follow!

-Andrew
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2014, 07:26 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Sounds fun, Andrew. I'll add your entry to the list on the Build-Off thread.

Steve
Nov 23, 2014, 07:27 PM
Rudders are overrated
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
Sounds fun, Andrew. I'll add your entry to the list on the Build-Off thread.

Steve
Thanks Steve!
Nov 23, 2014, 10:13 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Give Guillows a call. They're usually very helpful and will probably send you a new cowl for free.

Steve
Nov 23, 2014, 11:47 PM
Should be a good subject with the reasonable nose moment. I'm amazed that they would actually pack that cowl, looking like that. The longer nose should really help. I built the 190 and went to major effort to avoid ballast. Had to shave the servo control horns, to fit them in the cowling. About the only issue is that it has to be flown a bit carefully at somewhere around 90gms. Still not bad though. BTW I've become a big fan of the little IFlight servos. Had too many issues with micro linears.
Last edited by AntiArf; Nov 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
Nov 24, 2014, 02:25 PM
Rudders are overrated
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85
Give Guillows a call. They're usually very helpful and will probably send you a new cowl for free.

Steve
I hope so. I'm going to give them a call this afternoon. I'm kind of surprised that the cowl was so badly molded. Normally Guillows products are good quality ...with the occasional exception of the wood
Nov 24, 2014, 02:32 PM
Rudders are overrated
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
Should be a good subject with the reasonable nose moment. I'm amazed that they would actually pack that cowl, looking like that. The longer nose should really help. I built the 190 and went to major effort to avoid ballast. Had to shave the servo control horns, to fit them in the cowling. About the only issue is that it has to be flown a bit carefully at somewhere around 90gms. Still not bad though. BTW I've become a big fan of the little IFlight servos. Had too many issues with micro linears.
Wow, nice work fitting those servos into such a tightly packed space! That's about the same weight that my Hellcat turned out at, ironically
I think that long nose will definitely help, especially for battery placement, but I'm concerned with just how narrow the fuse is. I couldn't fit two 5g servos side by side! Lets hope the 3g's fare better .. And thanks for the note on the servos. I'm glad that there are ones of this size that are fairly cheap. I'm not a fan of the linears either.

Andrew
Nov 24, 2014, 02:54 PM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_LeadingEdge
Wow, nice work fitting those servos into such a tightly packed space! That's about the same weight that my Hellcat turned out at, ironically
I think that long nose will definitely help, especially for battery placement, but I'm concerned with just how narrow the fuse is. I couldn't fit two 5g servos side by side! Lets hope the 3g's fare better .. And thanks for the note on the servos. I'm glad that there are ones of this size that are fairly cheap. I'm not a fan of the linears either.

Andrew
I bought half a dozen of these: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Search=HK-5320

I have a couple of conversions going at the moment and these are TINY.

Tom
Nov 24, 2014, 03:45 PM
Or current resident
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
I bought half a dozen of these: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Search=HK-5320

I have a couple of conversions going at the moment and these are TINY.

Tom
Have you used these servos on 5 volts? The ones I have are an older version and are rated at 4.2V. They get real hot real fast on 5V and I'm afraid they won't last long at that voltage.
Nov 24, 2014, 03:50 PM
The Junk Man
I just hooked them up to a generic ESC (forgot which one, it was just a test to see if they worked at all) running a Lemon receiver on 3S.

Since I have first hand knowledge of other voltage incompatibilities (flames, melted plastic, melted foam and everything included) I feel qualified only to say that these passed the smoke test.

Tom
Nov 25, 2014, 06:46 PM
fully sheeted fuse is going to be heavy, if you go that route on the little BF109
You don't have a lot of wing to support a heavy plane
Nov 25, 2014, 07:42 PM
Rudders are overrated
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster
fully sheeted fuse is going to be heavy, if you go that route on the little BF109
Well I hadn't planned on any sheeting. Maybe up around the nose, and/or the saddle area. I just don't think this airframe is strong enough to carry that much weight
Nov 26, 2014, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster
Depends on the sheet grade. I found some incredibly light contest grade 1/32" that was used on the FW190 fuse. It was something like only 2-3gms weight. The couple grams does matter though on models this small. I found the 90gm AUW to be about the limit for comfortable flying. At 10gms less, I've found these 16" jobs to be much more forgiving.
Nov 26, 2014, 03:55 PM
Rudders are overrated
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
Depends on the sheet grade. I found some incredibly light contest grade 1/32" that was used on the FW190 fuse. It was something like only 2-3gms weight. The couple grams does matter though on models this small. I found the 90gm AUW to be about the limit for comfortable flying. At 10gms less, I've found these 16" jobs to be much more forgiving.
Well I have one sheet of 1/32" left and I was planning on it being for the P-47 I'm also working on. I think the 109's airframe should be okay without the sheeting reinforcement. As for weight I'm hoping it won't be more 80g or so. My Hellcat came out at 94g and didn't fare too well..

Quick Reply