Reliability of the FMA Cellpro 4S size chargers - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 30, 2014, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100

That said, I, when asked which charger do I recommend will no longer recommend the Cellpro 4S, simply because the people who have bought them have had system faults that rendered them useless.

Bill
What charger do you recommend in place of the Cellpro 4S?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2014, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
What charger do you recommend in place of the Cellpro 4S?

The PL8. It has been flawless.
Nov 30, 2014, 10:00 PM
Quote:
The PL8. It has been flawless.
That's an excellent recommendation. However, in my experience most users who's charging requirements are met by the Multi4 aren't able to justify moving up to the PL8. For those users I have no reservations what so ever about recommending the Multi4. I used two Multi4 chargers myself for several years w/o issue. Also, the PL6 is a great option for something between the Multi4 and PL8.
Nov 30, 2014, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
That's an excellent recommendation. However, in my experience most users who's charging requirements are met by the Multi4 aren't able to justify moving up to the PL8. For those users I have no reservations what so ever about recommending the Multi4. I used two Multi4 chargers myself for several years w/o issue. Also, the PL6 is a great option for something between the Multi4 and PL8.

I understand, just remember this is a personal decision about what happened to others who took my advice and purchased 4 series chargers. Four of several experienced failures. In fact, I am staring at a Multi 4 that was given to me because the owner kept having faults using it. I will, when I get time, try it out, clean up the contacts and see if I can get it to work. I like the 4S series and bought three of them, one had a system fault that FMA fixed or replaced at no charge. I had one given to me that required cleaning and a new charge lead. It now works.
I use contact cleaners, keep mine in a case when not using them, and store in a cool, dry environment. I have no idea how others cared for their FMA chargers. I suspect tossing them in a pit box and storing in a garage during a hot humid summer or leaving them in a pit box over the cold winter is not conducive to long life of any charger or electric device.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 01, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
Dec 01, 2014, 02:16 PM
Quote:
I understand, just remember this is a personal decision about what based on the failures experienced by those who took my advice and bought the 4 series chargers. I am staring at a Multi 4 that was given to me because the owner kept having faults using it. I will, when I get time, try it out, clean up the contacts and see if I can get it to work.
Your position is perfectly understandable. Many of us do not agree with it. This discussion has presented several sides and now others reading this thread will be able to make their own decisions about the FMA 4S chargers.

Glen
Dec 01, 2014, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Your position is perfectly understandable. Many of us do not agree with it. This discussion has presented several sides and now others reading this thread will be able to make their own decisions about the FMA 4S chargers.

Glen

Glen,

I appreciate your openness and acceptance of my opinion.

Bill
Jul 04, 2015, 01:28 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
I know this is older thread but hopes that someone at FMA may respond.

I have an older Cellpro 4S that recently started going into safety mode and will not charge higher than .5 amp.

I've tried several batteries, all which are balanced and at 3.8v or higher. I read other threads and cleaned the contacts in the charger and adapter board with mo improvement.

I sent an e-mail to FMA asking if they can repair it and if a RMA is needed.

I've loved thus charger for years and is my second charger with an iCharger 106 being primary. Not sure if it is repairable or cost effective to do so?

Thnx,
Denny
Jul 06, 2015, 02:00 PM
Revolectrix Ambassador
I know you said you cleaned the contacted. If you didn't use Deoxit, or similar liquid corrosion cleaning product, I'd try that first. Also, consider replacing the adapter board, or the 5 pin connector on the adapter board.
Jul 06, 2015, 02:14 PM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Thanks for the help. I kind of suspect the XH adapter. I did use some contact cleaner but not the brand you mentioned. I also heard back from FMA and may send it back for their $25 flat rate repair charge. It's been a good charger for many years....
Jul 06, 2015, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
Thanks for the help. I kind of suspect the XH adapter. I did use some contact cleaner but not the brand you mentioned. I also heard back from FMA and may send it back for their $25 flat rate repair charge. It's been a good charger for many years....

Dennis,

$25 is still reasonable for good, reliable charger. By the way, you live in a great town. PM me where you fly.

Bill
Jul 10, 2015, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
Thanks for the tip on repair. I have two original 4S chargers. I get lots of safety code 8 errors, that can be cleared. However, one of the chargers is stuck on safety code 0, which is not even listed in the instructions. I would want that one to be repaired.
Jul 02, 2017, 10:00 AM
2017 update on cell pro 4s. 6 chargers in my inventory. Only one works. Others suffer from safety faults. Deoxit did not help. Time to find another small field charger. Chargers stored in my heated and air conditioned house.