May 09, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thread OP

Cutting nose (Need a good advice before cutting)

Hi Guys,

So finally I got around to start building my old hotliner - anyway I need to cut the nose of the plane so I can mount my Hacker B50..

What would you guys say was the best angels to cut -6 degrees downwash and 2degress to the left??

Does this sound right for a hotliner?

Arvad
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2004, 12:35 PM
Arvad,

Most hotliners are set up without any right or down thrust.

Chuck
May 09, 2004, 04:39 PM
somewhere in South America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvad
-6 degrees downwash and 2degress to the left?? Does this sound right for a hotliner?
No, but it sounds about right for a gas-powered trainer...
As Chuck said, cut it as straight as you can to make the spinner fit best to the contour of the fuselage.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
May 09, 2004, 04:55 PM
I agree with Chuck/Dieter.
As put by another danish F5F pilot "motor pulls so hard that the airframe have no other option than 'follow the motor' :-)"

Now you have opinions from both sides of the pond!
May 10, 2004, 05:59 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Interesting thread - (if I have not imagined it) all my Simprop warm/hotliners have side & downthrust. However I dont think that my Mini-graphite has either of the two!
May 10, 2004, 06:53 AM
f5b-uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorywquin
Interesting thread - (if I have not imagined it) all my Simprop warm/hotliners have side & downthrust. However I dont think that my Mini-graphite has either of the two!
Can't comment on individual designs, but the wings of a glider that is designed to 'float' will have a positive angle of attack. When you apply power and the model speeds up it will climb. Sometimes this climb is too steep for the power available and down elevator needs to be held in. Alternatively the motor can have a lot of downthrust to compensate, or you could compensate with down elevator mixed with throttle on your computer tx.
An F5B model is not really designed to 'float'. Speed is the key, and their wings will have either zero or a negative angle of attack. As such there is no need for downthrust.
And unless I'm mistaken, side thrust becomes less important the faster you fly. At very low speed the vortex from a spinning prop pushes the vertical stabiliser to the right, making the model turn left. As speed increases the aerodynamic forces keep the model tracking straight because the force from the vortex is now negligible.

Mike

Quick Reply