May 09, 2004, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mountain Models Cessna 180

I've been looking at the Mountain Models Cessna 180 kit for a long time and finally decided to quit looking and start building.
So far, I have the fuse framed, which went quickly due to the basic design, and the excellant quality of laser cutting, and flawless parts fit. The fuselage structure on this little model is remarkably reminiscent of the old Carl Goldberg 1/2A Skylane, which has always been neer the top of my cool old kit list. It also reminds me a lot of my first wood model 45 years ago, the all sheet Goldberg C-180 rubber FF kit.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2004, 12:00 PM
Thread OP

The kit is very complete, and the laser cutting and wood quality are excellant.

The structure is a bit beefier than I'm used to working with, and there a quite a few parts involved, but the wood quality is great, parts fit & alignment is great, the structure is coming out far lighter than I would have guessed, and the fuselage is brutally strong.
I plan to have the model done and a couple hundred test flights under my belt so I can take it down to LR SMALL in June. As easy as the model is to build, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
PAT
May 09, 2004, 12:50 PM
Neophyte hacker
Pat and I bought our kits at the same time. True to my hacker nature I am going to add ailerons to mine. No, not for aerobatics. I want to able to sideslip the little thing like I used to do in Cessna 150's. No flaps, I can control myself a little bit :-) I won't be done before Pat is so will have to wait a bit for pics of the mods.

charlie
May 09, 2004, 06:36 PM
Thread OP

The little 180 is ready to cover.

I got the last of the framing done today on the C-180, and all the frames are sanded and RTC.
May 09, 2004, 06:43 PM
Thread OP

It's ALL laser cut

Virtually every part in this airplane is laser cut, right down to the stick wood. All of the tail section ribs were cut to length, so it was simply a matter of gluing the"puzzle" together. The kit calls for tape rudder and elevator hinges, but I plan to go with the typical 1/8" wide Cya hinges. Beyond that, it's going to be straight out of the box.
PAT
May 10, 2004, 01:12 PM
I also have a MM C180 that is still waiting to be built. I have to finish up the Dare DR-1 first... still getting settled in the new apartment so I haven't establised my building area (lost access to the kitchen table . . . getting married, need it now to eat meals on )

I plan on getting floats for the C180 and getting a lighting system as well. I like Doug's models, they build great and fly great!
May 10, 2004, 02:29 PM
Neophyte hacker
James,

I don't think Pat will object to you working on the Dare kit first :-) In fact, if you wanted to add a Sopwith Triplane and DVII to your list I am sure he would understand ;-)

charlie
May 10, 2004, 09:23 PM
I just received this plane last week, so this thread is truly on target for me. Am curious hos this 8.5 oz plane will handle a breeze, and how can a person achieve the ribbed control surface appearance typical of the full scale planes of this type.
May 10, 2004, 09:35 PM
Gravity Always Wins...
There is a great build thread already here on the forum on the 180 courtesy of Dulcelife. Check it for tips and tricks. I've had my MM C-180 for some time now. Just now ready to maiden it. Just waiting for the wind to die down. This is really a minimal or better yet, zero wind airplane. Not taking any chances for the maiden.

Mountain Models C-180 Squadron
Last edited by bnl2001; May 10, 2004 at 09:49 PM.
May 10, 2004, 09:45 PM
Neophyte hacker
Russell and James,

There are also other threads in here on this model, including one that flies on floats. You should both look up those as well as following Pat's build.

This is a 'stand off' scale model. Although you can get carried away with detailing it if you so choose. The kit does not include a method for creating ribbed control surfaces. There are a myriad of ways to achieve that look, depending on how close you want to look

Mine will simply have lines drawn on with a marking pen. When standing off at a few yards they will look like the shadows made by a ribbed surface. If you want to get fancy you could 'draw' ribbing with something like white glue or epoxy and then paint over it. There are bunches of techiques for that sort of thing in these forums as well.

This will be a calm air airplane, which I suspect is what Doug designed it for.

Almost RTC. Pat, we may have a fly off this weekend if I can get these d--- ailerons fitted tonight. Covering should go fast since I chose the all silver finish. I also got my receiver back (555) from Hitec. I had a cold solder joint that failed. 2 weeks from mailing to receipt, not bad.

charlie
May 10, 2004, 10:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Here's Martin Hunter's threadphotos of a float 180.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t=cessna+floats

Hope that link works
May 11, 2004, 09:27 PM
Neophyte hacker

Ailerons

As promised (?) here are some shots of my hacking the 180 and adding ailerons. This shot just shows the hack. 1/4 x 1/8" hard balsa was used as the false spar and as the leading edge of the aileron. I sanded the aileron ribs so the aileron LE was at a 45 deg angle (less sanding that way ).
May 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
Neophyte hacker
These two photos show the routing of the sullivan cable. I put a doubler on the rib where the cable exits the lower surface of the wing. Used the existing holes in the ribs (thanks Doug) to run the cable to the middle of the wing. You can see in the middle where I made a mounting point for the servo. It will be on its side and will protrude into the cockpit area. Will put the servo in after covering.

I made the ailerons near scale size. I was not worried about them being too small since I left in the dihedral from the kit. This will be more like a guided FF with the ailerons providing just a bit of roll control. Not enough to do rolls, since the real one wasn't really made for aerobatics

charlie
May 11, 2004, 09:38 PM
Neophyte hacker
Well, that's all until it flies.

Pat, thanks for sharing the thread :-)

charlie

Quick Reply