Jupiter Kwirl free download plan - Page 5 - RC Groups
Dec 11, 2014, 07:03 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstu
for Lockey
I am going to build the enlarged version 150%,you have not indicated the size of the rotors can you please advise.
regards Jeff
Jeff, I did the 150% fuselage conversion for Thomas and did not do any work on the rotor sizes, maybe Thomas will be able to answer this for you

I did have some ideas for rotors on a bigger model, but as yet I haven't tested them ... size I was thinking was about 350mm long and 55 wide, if anyone would like to give them a try, here is a A4 PDF with the sizes ... remember, these are untested

Hope this is OK with you Thomas

Lockey
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2014, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstu
for Lockey
I am going to build the enlarged version 150%,you have not indicated the size of the rotors can you please advise.
regards Jeff
Thomas and Lockey would be best to answer that

I assume you just enlarge the plan to 150%
Dec 11, 2014, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2soar
Thomas and Lockey would be best to answer that

I assume you just enlarge the plan to 150%
Plans / patterns for the 150% are at post #41 and they were completely re-drawn not just enlarged, so should work OK. if anyone finds any mistakes, please let Thomas or myself know and I will change on the patterns

BUT ... not sure how big the rotors for the 150% need to be ? maybe Thomas can answer this ... guess it will be all a bit ... "trial and error" .. 150% of the original size of the rotors would be really 375 x 75 mm and this seemed a little OTT to me ... but I could be wrong

I also thought that the sizes of EVERYTHING must be enlarged to suit ... BUT this might completely change Thomas's design angles and dihedral etc ... this is why I think Thomas is the guy to ask about the rotors

Drawing the fuselage was the easy part ... Thomas is the clever guy, designing the rotors, angles, dihedral etc etc

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
Dec 12, 2014, 02:01 PM
scratchbuilder
Thomas is the clever guy, designing the rotors, angles, dihedral etc etc

I like to read this!

But

Here is the truth: I looked at my Jupiter Junior plan and checked which rotor diametre was possible. I borrowed the rotor mast angle from alfoot`s Monotwirl.
The right pitch came almost automatically by overlapping the blades.
I built it, it flew, but did not turn. I prolonged the rotor mast, it did not turn. I bent up the blades - and it flew like a dream. Then I made new rotors with built in dihedral.
So it was a combination of own ideas, copying, trial and error and luck.

For the 150% Kwirl I suggest a Rotor diametre of 80cm and a chord of 70mm using 6mm Depron and hard wood or CF leading edges.
I would try all angles as they are on the standard version.
maybe a KFm2 rotor would be interesting.
Lockey`s rotor system looks ingenious to me and is definitely worth a try.
Dec 12, 2014, 05:30 PM
Thomas
I have to tell you that this is one very popular model...I think that I have had more people looking at my video ,in a short time... than any other.
Chris...
Dec 13, 2014, 06:03 AM
Thought I would have a go at the rotors I designed, one set almost finished

61 grams all up for each set of rotors, does this sound heavy Thomas ? I made them 360 x 50 giving a span of around 800 mm, not sure what I will use for the mast and bushes yet

Hope they work ... I might use my Tiny Little Fokker fuselage to test them with, its Depron and only weighs about 170 grams without battery, add a bit for the mast etc

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 13, 2014 at 06:25 AM.
Dec 13, 2014, 12:00 PM
scratchbuilder
That`s good news, Chris.

Tony, I don`t think that there will be a weight problem - you have a lot of "wing area" with the 80 cm diametre.
Dec 13, 2014, 01:41 PM
I call it 'landing'...
Would a foldable joint work? Just in case a blade hits something? Noooo that never happens to me !
Dec 13, 2014, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plattenwerk
Would a foldable joint work? Just in case a blade hits something? Noooo that never happens to me !
Would be good Plattenwerk but how you would maintain the strong negative incidence AND dihedral I am not sure

I did think about making the centre section out of aluminium plate, but how to get each end to bend and twist exactly the same I don't know, and how thick would it have to be to keep its shape ??

I think the normal delta plate in fiberglass sheet used by most autogyro guys would be too flexible and the blades might hit each other

I am not sure if a bigger model like this one will work, the small one that Thomas has designed maybe works so well BECAUSE it is so small and light

Just my thoughts

Lockey
Dec 13, 2014, 09:18 PM
I call it 'landing'...
Ok, your point. My concern was: would the centrifugal force sufficient to spread the blades. Just thinking off walls, trees, unleashed lightpoles... all that kind of plane magnets
Dec 13, 2014, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plattenwerk
Ok, your point. My concern was: would the centrifugal force sufficient to spread the blades. Just thinking off walls, trees, unleashed lightpoles... all that kind of plane magnets
LOL, Yes I can agree with all that I think I have been coerced into flying towards many of these things too ... by shear magnetism ... it wasn't me, it was my radio

Lockey
Dec 14, 2014, 05:52 AM
Blades and head finished, now to convert the Tiny Fokker for testing

Lockey
Dec 15, 2014, 01:01 AM
Ready for testing, although I don't know when as its very windy here in Perth right now and could be for a few days

I have a 2.5 mm wire inside a CF tube and brass tube for bushes inside the heads

Not sure if its going to work ?? Only trouble is, if it goes over on its side, the blades will break for sure, I might make a wider undercarriage and put fiberglass tape on the blades for a bit of extra strength ... I wish now that the blades were foldable

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 15, 2014 at 01:07 AM.
Dec 15, 2014, 02:00 AM
Well she is now ready BUT is no lightweight, weighing in at 660 grams with 1800 / 3s battery

Made a wider undercarriage and taped the front of the blades with fiberglass tape

Blades seem to spin up well at a walking pace

WE WILL SEE
Dec 19, 2014, 02:36 AM
It was a bit of a flop really so am going to try a set of proper rotors

Lockey