Apr 28, 2018, 03:06 PM
scratchbuilder
Excellent video!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2018, 06:16 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Well, here's one more of the little beastie.
Not really flown yet.
I've made a few hops across the front yard.

This is my first autogyro so...
I've got a few questions to those who are used to flying it.
First, I've got a blue wonder motor turning a 7/6 prop and a two cell 450 lipo.
On takeoff she noses up radically, like 50 degrees and shoots up to 30', even with 10 degrees down elevator.
Since I lack room, all I can do from there is float down to land.
When I take it out to a bigger field, I'd like to have it right enough to fly like it's supposed to.
It hangs about 10 degrees nose down when held by the rotor mast at the fuselage.
Do you think it will fly ok when i have room to pull the throttle way back?
Will putting some down thrust help out?

Thanks for any responses.
Nick
May 01, 2018, 09:21 AM
scratchbuilder
Yes, i suppose more downthrust will help. Climbing with full power is ok, but it should not be to steep.
May 02, 2018, 01:11 PM
I put 1/32" shims on the top lugs before going but I was still holding 1/2 stick down at 1/2 throttle to fly level. I replaced the 450 mah pack with an 850 for a little more nose weight next time.

Here's the maiden with the 450:

Jupiter Kwirl Maiden (2 min 23 sec)
May 02, 2018, 03:02 PM
scratchbuilder
The flight looks as it should. I recommend to add a lot of down trim and it will be fine.
May 02, 2018, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your observations.
I think I mostly have to readjust my concepts of flight, Autogyro style.
The Bigger battery made zero difference, so to the curious, CG seems to have a lot of leeway, at least for forward cgs.
Today we flew again and did a loop, also handed off to #1 son and he made a first ever Autogyro flight.
He was a lot smoother than the shakey old geezer.

This is a fine little aircraft!
May 02, 2018, 10:47 PM
I think that that 'shaky old geezer' did a pretty good job and seeing a model like this flies just reminds me of what our hobby is rarely all about.
Happy landings
Chris...
May 03, 2018, 02:33 PM
If you're talking about that swelling rush of satisfaction and fulfillment......

(you're right. )
May 03, 2018, 09:23 PM
That's the one...........
May 04, 2018, 12:15 PM
Here's a parting shot.
Put 1/32" shim under the top motor lugs and replaced the 450 mah lipo with a 1000 mah.
Handles pretty much the same but gets twice the flying time. (8 min).
Don't have to hold as much down elevator in fast flight.

Jupiter Kwirl with 1000 mah lipo (1 min 46 sec)
May 27, 2018, 11:55 AM
I would like to build a Jupiter Kwirl at original size, however, the thinnest foam i can obtain readily is Dollar Tree Foam Board which is approx 4mm -5mm thick. I would leave the paper on and would utilize 3/16" dia. skewers on the leading edges of the blades. Also some small 1/8" balsa pieces to pack under for the blade dihedral.
I know that Flite Test did Al Foots Twirl in DTFB with great results. Does anyone see any issues here?
Thank you.
Last edited by Greg Knipp; May 27, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
May 27, 2018, 10:31 PM
Don't see any probs off hand, sounds interesting.
don't forget the vids.
May 28, 2018, 04:11 AM
I really don't see a problem either, I painted mine all over

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post34029065

and it still flies fine, paint probably put more weight on that your extra MM of foam or paper.

Paul
May 28, 2018, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Knipp
I would like to build a Jupiter Kwirl at original size, however, the thinnest foam i can obtain readily is Dollar Tree Foam Board which is approx 4mm -5mm thick. I would leave the paper on and would utilize 3/16" dia. skewers on the leading edges of the blades. Also some small 1/8" balsa pieces to pack under for the blade dihedral.
I know that Flite Test did Al Foots Twirl in DTFB with great results. Does anyone see any issues here?
Thank you.
If it is available to you, consider using the Elmers foamboard - Dollerama stocks it here, vs. the Adama board at $Tree. It may be only available in black.

I recommend this because the paper is more firmly attached to the foam, eliminating any separation issues. I have used both types on many foam planes, each may have their place.

I have two Kwirls, of which use $Tree foam, stripped of paper, for the blades, which use CF leading edge rods and are wrapped with clear packing tape. One set is in rough condition and I will get around to replacing them soon. When I do, I will make new blades from the Elmers board, CF rod. IF it is white board, I will paint with water-based acrylic craft paint. As with my many flying wings, I will finish with couple of coats of thinned polycrylic. That is what I have done on foamboard flying wings and it really adds strength and durability at insignificant weight penalty. Cover with tape? Perhaps ... but I fins that the tape will bubble or lift over time and that is a nuisance.
May 28, 2018, 09:10 PM
Our local Hobbytown now stocks Flite Test Speed Build Kits, power packs and water resistant foam board. I picked up some water resistant foam board and will give it a try.

Quick Reply