Jan 14, 2017, 11:12 AM
Take me to your toys

I know this is a real old post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
Here's an eepe file for my revised DX5e emulation.

As previously explained, the main requirement for operating the various BNF models, including those with SAFE technology are covered by setting the Taranis to mimic a DX5e. This means setting travel to 80% to match Spektrum, reversing aileron and rudder, setting channel 5 to give three positions (as on the recent versions of DX5), and using the trainer switch as panic button on channel 6.

I used switch SB for channel 5 mode selection, SG for triple rates, and SH for panic button. I also added a throttle lock on SF.

Here are some screen shots that give the general idea.
I tried this on my new Taranis. Simulates as it should, but I think it was made for mode1 ans not mode 2. For me it simulates throttle on the right.
Being new to the taranis, back to reading.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2017, 02:42 PM

Question for all Taranis users

It's not specific as to mode. The mode is set in the transmitter. Check that yours is set correctly. Also check that you have Channel Order set to TAER (sounds like you may have AETR).

If you have further questions, I'll be glad to help.

This is a very useful initial exercise in programming and produces a model that can serve as a starting point for other models. Anything that's intended for a Spektrum transmitter should start from settings like these, though they may need to be adapted.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 14, 2017 at 02:47 PM.
Jan 21, 2017, 10:08 PM
Take me to your toys
Now that I have an actual Taranis in hand, it works. Not sure what I did wrong first time around. Made a module from my Spectrum x4e transmitter. Have it bound and partially working with an as3x6 receiver from my conscendo. Have not figured out the 3 flight modes, or the panic yet, but getting there.
Jan 21, 2017, 10:32 PM

Normally, the flight modes are controlled by a three position switch on channel 5.

Choose your switch and use it as the source for a 100% mix on channel 5.

What version of OpenTX are you using.

Very important. Set the channel order to TAER. Then make a new model if necessary to ensure you have that order (look at Mixer page to see order).

Also set limits for first six channels to 80% to match Spektrum.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jan 21, 2017 at 11:28 PM.
Jun 16, 2017, 03:02 PM
@Daedalus: Thank you for your great explanation about setting up Spectrum models (with SAFE) on Taranis.

I used your template for my HH Delta Ray as a base for my model. Panic mode and SAFE switch work fine but somehow I think the "expert mode" cannot be activated. When moving the DR in expert mode compared to advanced mode it behaves the same. Also, as I read in the manual, in expert mode the throws are supposed to be not limited. I also guess that any support preventing extreme flight behaviour should be deactivated in expert mode. Both do not seem to be the case.

After my setup did not work, I used yours without any of my changes but without luck.

I use the taranis plus with opentx 2.2.0 and the orangeTX module in DSMX 11 mode.

I hope anyone can give me a hind.
Jun 16, 2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks4allTheFis
@Daedalus: Thank you for your great explanation about setting up Spectrum models (with SAFE) on Taranis.

I used your template for my HH Delta Ray as a base for my model. Panic mode and SAFE switch work fine but somehow I think the "expert mode" cannot be activated. When moving the DR in expert mode compared to advanced mode it behaves the same. Also, as I read in the manual, in expert mode the throws are supposed to be not limited. I also guess that any support preventing extreme flight behaviour should be deactivated in expert mode. Both do not seem to be the case.

After my setup did not work, I used yours without any of my changes but without luck.

I use the taranis plus with opentx 2.2.0 and the orangeTX module in DSMX 11 mode.

I hope anyone can give me a hind.

Here are the generic instructions, newly updated to clarify a couple of points and eliminate some unnecessary information:

Using an Open Source Transmitter for Spektrum BNF Models

Many BNF models, sold under brands such as E-Flite, Parkzone, Hobbyzone and Blade, are designed to be “plug and play” with the basic Spektrum transmitters, DX4e and DX5e, as well as to be compatible with more capable Spektrum transmitters like the DX6. The aim here is to help you fly these models using a transmitter with ER9x or OpenTX firmware. We want to program the transmitter to act just like a Spektrum DX5e with a three-position gear switch on Channel 5 and momentary lever switch on Channel 6. This will prepare it to work with models such as the Apprentice and Sport Cub S that use SAFE stabilization technology. Moreover, this model will serve as a template that you can adjust to virtually any other conventional model.

Having created such a model definition on your transmitter (or in the supporting program on your computer), all you have to do to setup a new BNF acquisition is to copy and rename the model memory. Keep the original model definition intact (let’s call it “DX5 Emulate”), so you can use it again for another aircraft (or go back to it if you make modifications that don’t work out).

These instructions are generic, so you’ll have to figure out how to apply them to your Taranis, 9x, 9XR or 9XR Pro transmitter. It’s a good programming exercise.

Emulating a DX5e

Here’s what needs to be set to make your transmitter work like a Spektrum DX5e:

•Channel order TAER. This affects future default models. It does not change ones already created.

•Set limits to +/-80%, all except low throttle (CH1) which is left at -100%: Open source pulse width 100% corresponds to Spektrum 125%, so 80% gives Spektrum 100%.

•Default mixes for channels 1-4. Leave at 100%. Check TAER channel order.

•Three position switch on channel 5. Should give -100 in position 0, 0 in position 1, +100 in position 2. This controls mode for SAFE technology (0 Beginner, 1 Intermediate, 2 Experienced).

•Momentary switch on channel 6: Should give -100 when off, +100 when pressed. Acts as “Panic Recovery” button for SAFE technology models.

•Reverse (invert) channels 2 and 4. To match the Spektrum for aileron and rudder.

•Throttle Trim disabled. You don’t want throttle trim for electric models.

•Trim Increment. Medium is a good compromise setting. Your choice.

•Dual Rate on channels 2, 3, and 4. Use 100% for high and 75% for low to match the DX5e.

In addition to these basic changes, you may want to add the following:

•Set Timer to 5:00 countdown (good starting point), set throttle trigger to THs.

•Throttle Lock. Override CH1 to -100. Disables throttle stick.

How you implement these requirements will vary a bit from one type of transmitter to another but should not be too hard to figure out. Use the graphic servo outputs screen to verify that all controls are functioning as intended.

Daedalus66 on RCGroupsRevised June 16, 2017

Here are some additional comments:

SAFE Beginner mode limits bank and pitch to about 30 degrees, even with full stick movements. Intermediate mode increases the allowed angles to something like 70 degrees. In both these modes, releasing the sticks will bring the model back to level.

Experienced mode applies AS3X stabilization but otherwise does not limit control response. There is no autolevel function invoked by releasing the sticks; rather the "Panic Recovery" mode is available by pressing the momentary switch (Trainer).

To diagnose your programming problems, go to the Graphic Monitor screen and check if the outputs on channels 5 and 6 match the values listed above. Note that the values on a Taranis will be +/-80% as explained above.

Come back here and report on what you find. I'll be happy to help further.

Hope this helps.

Note that I'm attaching a PDF of the instructions in case you want to print tham.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jun 16, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
Jun 20, 2017, 06:25 AM
I did not realize that even in expert mode, AS3X is "supporting a stable flight" as in intermediate/advanced mode".

I triple checked all settings and still have the problem that in "expert mode" the throws are dialled down to the same degree of intermediate mode.
Jun 21, 2017, 07:13 AM
The regular SAFE technology applies AS3X in Experienced mode (it's not called Expert). This is as it should be as there is no reason to fly a lightly loaded trainer outdoors without basic rate stabilization to counteract the impact of wind turbulence.
AS3X does not in any way inhibit the maneuverability of the model by limiting bank or pitch. It does not "dial down" the throws, though it does damp the response to gusts that cause the model to bounce around.
There's no way to turn off AS3X in this application.
If you think the transmitter is dialing down the throws, simply look at the graphic monitor screen. It should show maximum throw as 80%. Or go to the outputs (servos?) screen and see if you are getting 1100 and 1900 as the pulse width range.
By the way, the reason you don't want to use 100% throws with the Taranis is that the linear servos in the model can be damaged by exceeding their limits, which are setup for a Spektrum transmitter.
Jun 28, 2017, 03:01 PM
I checked all the settings and screens. Everything is between -80% to 80%.

I did not mean that I set 100% throws on the Taranis. I meant that with having them limited to 80% on experienced mode, I should have full throws which I don't have.
Jun 29, 2017, 06:32 AM
Do you mean that the physical control surfaces don't move the full amount when you give, for example, full up elevator or full aileron? This is normal because the Delta Ray uses an elevon setup. Try giving full elevator and full aileron. This is the only way you will see maximum travel at the control surface.
Jul 01, 2017, 02:46 PM
I am sorry that there was a misunderstanding.
Yes, I meant full throws on the physical surfaces. As I described earlier, I have tested it and I get the same physical amount in intermediate and experienced mode.
Jul 01, 2017, 04:06 PM

There's no reason you should get different amounts of throw in the two modes. The difference is in the stabilization algorithm. Intermediate has Autolevel when the sticks are released and restricts bank and pitch to about 70 degrees, while Experienced does not have Autolevel and does not restrict bank and pitch. It is a pure rate function that responds only to angular displacement. It doesn't know anything about the current attitude of the model in relation to the ground, only whether it's being pushed off its current trajectory by an external force (turbulence).

Control throws are a factor that affects the speed and power of the stabilization response for each of the modes.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Jul 01, 2017 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply