Dec 31, 2019, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
do you want to run mid or rear motor?

Preference is rear to keep it simple but I could live with either. Just don't want to toss a perfectly good chassis because of the bad transmission.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 08:54 PM
rc user
i put an Associated B4.2 trans next to the BZ222. they look similar at a glance but the mounting holes aren't even close. in fact the B4.2 only has 2 bottom holes and what looks like a horizontal thru hole, probably attaches into the rear hinge pin plate.
The B4.2 diff cups measure about 3mm shorter end to end, so the 222 dog bones would fall out. but they wouldn't have a chance to since they don't fit in the B4.2 cups.

problem with adapting a trans is these little things are so intricate and have so much crap packed in a tight space and the tolerances have to be fairly precise. there's just to many things to go wrong.
I think the best way moving forward is with a 3D printed trans case for belt with no roller. that makes the belt path much less convoluted and will help it live.
Jan 16, 2020, 04:20 PM
Thanks Pat, there are two hard things for me with the 222, one is to believe that this car was only made for HK. I know HK is big, but big enough to get a 1 off car??? Second is I like the car a lot, I don't want to get rid of it, but I just may end up doing it. I don't want to fix the transmission just to break another part. I've got a RC10 worlds car re-pop that I could put the electronics in but now parts availablitiy for that is becoming an issue. I guess I should just buy a Traxxas!
Jan 16, 2020, 06:39 PM
rc user
same here, i really like the car, especially mid-motor. it handles better than my B4.2.
a comparable replacement with gear trans would be a B5M, but those aren't cheap.

i actually like the idea of belt drive, it makes this car unique, but not how they executed it, with such a small compartment and tight turns for the belt to negotiate.(have i said that enough times) .
far as similar cars re-branded, I've never seen one. this may really be a one-off.

really a shame hobbyking didn't stick with a couple models and give good parts support. their parts were so inexpensive it made maintenance a pleasure.

compare this to my MP9- the rear diff carrier bearings just went out, taking the ring/pinion with it, $45 in parts. ouch.

if you want a Traxxas I highly recommend the platinum slash. awesome handling car, LCG chassis, 4WD. even on 2S with the castle setup mine is an absolute joy to drive. well worth the cost.
if you want a 2wd traxxas, meh, the bandit/rustle/slash are decent.
Jan 16, 2020, 06:50 PM
rc user
speaking of traxxas, love em or hate em, the one thing you can count on is parts support. and they are fairly durable too.
Jan 16, 2020, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
speaking of traxxas, love em or hate em, the one thing you can count on is parts support. and they are fairly durable too.

Yup. Here is my 24 year old Stampede. Parts are no problem.

Quick Reply