Nov 21, 2014, 01:36 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
These pins are not only thin but very short. Odd to see that combined with a beefy 32dp spur.

Btw, Chubbs, I don't see any pics yet? Looks like you are linking to a https secured dropbox. You will probably see them, because you have right to access these, but we see nothing. Better attach these to a posting in this thread, or start a blog on your personal page on RCG, like I did, and host the pics there, then link to that.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Nov 21, 2014 at 01:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 21, 2014, 07:15 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild, repeat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
These pins are not only thin but very short. Odd to see that combined with a beefy 32dp spur.

Btw, Chubbs, I don't see any pics yet? Looks like you are linking to a https secured dropbox. You will probably see them, because you have right to access these, but we see nothing. Better attach these to a posting in this thread, or start a blog on your personal page on RCG, like I did, and host the pics there, then link to that.
*sigh* that's exactly what I did. They're going to my dropbox. Sorry about that.

I'll get that straightened out here in a bit.
Nov 21, 2014, 09:26 AM
Thread OP
Pics should be up now.

I should be able to get to the track this weekend. Hopefully I'll know soon if this buggy is the real slim shady or just imitating.
Nov 21, 2014, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs
Pics should be up now.

I should be able to get to the track this weekend. Hopefully I'll know soon if this buggy is the real slim shady or just imitating.
Maybe ask eminem to drive it?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Nov 24, 2014, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
I just edited the 3rd post to reflect my impressions at the track. I'll add some pictures and hopefully some video later.

To sum it all up-

The stock tires are terrible
OVERSTEER
pretty durable buggy
Nov 24, 2014, 05:38 PM
I see, shame about the tires, these seemed like a nice cheap alternative. But a 2WD buggy relies heavily on rear traction, and this just doesn't work than, it seems. Better get some Pro-Line tires on then, or Team C.
Nov 26, 2014, 01:51 AM
Question: is the battery compartment really only 41.5mm wide? Or has HK given a "safe" rounded down measurement? The batteries I hope to run are about 45-46mm, the same ones I run in my Trooper.

I've been looking at getting a 2wd 1/10 recently, but I have never owned a 2wd so I don't know if I will like it. I know it will do donuts easier, otherwise I don't know why I want a 2wd, I guess to try something new out. More recently I'm into buggies more than anything else, so it's almost perfect that HK came out with this buggy, I was actually looking at the other 1/10 buggy they sell no too long ago but I never went through with it. I might have to sell one of my 1/16's .

Sounds like I would want to change the tires out right away too, after reading Chubbs comments.

I'm also still stuck on whether I should get the KIT or ARR version. I'm not sure about the ARR turnigy electronics... I assume the servo is a pos, the motor is probably ok, but I wonder if the esc is any good, 60A is probably barely enough (I have a 3300kv in my trooper).

It's either the BSR basher, or I wait and get a 4x4 buggy eventually. But I thought it would be interesting to try out a 2wd for a change.
Nov 26, 2014, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz
...but I wonder if the esc is any good, 60A is probably barely enough (I have a 3300kv in my trooper).

It's either the BSR basher, or I wait and get a 4x4 buggy eventually. But I thought it would be interesting to try out a 2wd for a change.

A buggy is lighter than a SCT, so 60A can get you pretty far. I run a 9T EZrun in my Kyosho Ultima RB5 with a 60A. Car runs 60 km/h and ESC doesn't break a sweat.

2WD is a challenge, but if you have good rear tires, a fun challenge. Running around on dirt with a 2WD, rear wheels spraying, it looks great.
Nov 26, 2014, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz
Question: is the battery compartment really only 41.5mm wide? Or has HK given a "safe" rounded down measurement? The batteries I hope to run are about 45-46mm, the same ones I run in my Trooper.

I've been looking at getting a 2wd 1/10 recently, but I have never owned a 2wd so I don't know if I will like it. I know it will do donuts easier, otherwise I don't know why I want a 2wd, I guess to try something new out. More recently I'm into buggies more than anything else, so it's almost perfect that HK came out with this buggy, I was actually looking at the other 1/10 buggy they sell no too long ago but I never went through with it. I might have to sell one of my 1/16's .

Sounds like I would want to change the tires out right away too, after reading Chubbs comments.

I'm also still stuck on whether I should get the KIT or ARR version. I'm not sure about the ARR turnigy electronics... I assume the servo is a pos, the motor is probably ok, but I wonder if the esc is any good, 60A is probably barely enough (I have a 3300kv in my trooper).

My battery compartment measures 49mm wide, at the front and the rear. There isn't a restriction in the middle, as it's open on both sides.

This battery fits....just barely
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-car-lipo.html
in fact, it doesn't really fit, as it needs to be forced into the rear compartment. It's listed at 23mm tall...22mm is the largest you want to go.

IF (a big IF) the ESC is actually 60a, it will be more than enough. The speed passion Revention S I'm using in mine is only 45a, and it handles it just fine. 2wd buggies don't take much power. My only worry is that 60a is overrated and it won't actualy handle that much, but again, it probably won't take 60a anyways.

Kit vs Arr comes down to if you want to race or not. If you don't, I think the ARR is the better bargain, as you basically get the whole power system plus a servo for $40. If you're going to race though, you're going to need a race legal system, probably a 17.5T motor. In that case, buy the kit.

Keep in mind, if you're just bashing around in your back yard, I really don't think a 2wd buggy is the way to go. They really struggle through grass, which is where most people will want to run them. the BZ-222 is a track machine, which is where 2wd really shines anyways. The reduced weight compared to a 4wd vehicle is noticeable.
Nov 26, 2014, 05:07 PM
I want to get more into track running, and I will definitely for the most part running it in the backyard, but I will also be running it on a old dirt road that's pretty wide open. In fact I want to do a mild track setup in my backyard soon, I already have imaginary track patterns that I run back there .

I was thinking the same as you about the kit vs ARR. I think at this point the ARR would suit me fine for now, if I were to get one at this point. No rush, I've just always been interested in getting a 1/10 buggy, and is seems like 2wd would be a cool change or if nothing else challenging like Soloprofan said.
Nov 26, 2014, 06:09 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Seems like quite a nice buggy. Lots of good features for its price for sure. Could definitely make a nice budget club lever racer out of it I bet.
Nov 30, 2014, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
I updated the 2nd post with some shock and wheel info.

The shock bores are 12mm. Does anyone know of other brands with 12mm bore? I'd like to swap out the stock shock pistons if I can find some 12mm ones. The stock BZ-222 pistons have 6 holes in them, which is a lot. using very thick oil (1200cSt rear, 1000cSt front), it feels about right, but i'd much rather use fewer/smaller holes with thinner oil to get more separation between high speed and low speed damping.

I just put in an order for a 17.5t motor and matching 48p gears. That speed passion ESC just doesn't handle sensorless operation very well.
Nov 30, 2014, 06:56 PM
6 holes? That's odd, gives you little room to play with different oil grades. 12 mm bore sounds like a common size, I'll check some of my shocks and see if I remembered right.
Nov 30, 2014, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
6 holes? That's odd, gives you little room to play with different oil grades. 12 mm bore sounds like a common size, I'll check some of my shocks and see if I remembered right.
Not only are there 6 holes, but they are fairly large compared to what i'm used to seeing.

One would think, they would design their shocks to operate with the type of shock oils most people have. 10wt (or around 100cSt) would provide almost no damping, and 100 wt (around 1000cSt) would make it hard as a brick.

Instead, anything under 1000cSt is worthless. 1200 is the thickest stuff I have without using diff oil, and it's barely acceptable. I think it will work, but it still isn't as stiff as my other buggy, which has 40wt oil in it.

It's a minor inconvenience, but it's just another thing that makes you say "what were they thinking?". I'm still optimistic the buggy will be good, and it's definitely a bargain, but with some minor tweaks it could be a lot better. New tires (or even no tires, and reduce the price), revised shocks, and a 17.5t sensored power system would make this a really great RTR that could get alot of people into the races. Instead, it's just "ok".
Dec 01, 2014, 01:25 AM
Maybe they got the shock oils labeled wrong in the test center of HK?

I use between 20 an 40 most of the time, and get the shocks the way I want, with enough damping to avoid bottoming out on the slightest bump, but still move light enough to "read" most of the bumps, and keep wheels on the ground.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 01, 2014 at 02:59 AM.

Quick Reply