Nov 18, 2014, 04:26 PM
Kimo
Thread OP
Discussion

Joyways Explorer

Wondering if anyone has sailed the Joyways Explorer and how it compares to the DF.
Both are the same length, the Explorer is 1 inch wider and appox. 2 oz. lighter.
The DF has a ABS hull while the Explorer's hull is fiberglass. Other than that they seem pretty much the same with many parts being the same for both boats.
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2014, 07:09 PM
Kimo
Thread OP
The reason I was asking about the two boats was that Atomik RC has 20% off on the Explorer selling it for $148. but after adding shipping of $40 the cost is more than a DF from Tower that has free shipping. So guess that I will go with Tower and get the DF.
Nov 19, 2014, 04:42 AM
the explorer does not rate as a RG65.

NO bumper !!!!
Nov 19, 2014, 05:02 PM
Kimo
Thread OP
Ordered a DF from Tower this morning. Tower has it for $175 with free shipping and with a $20 coupon it's only $155.
Dec 10, 2014, 06:06 PM

Explorer as rg65

Hi
I bought an Explorer as a\spare parts for my DF65s on ebay ($102) + shipping Its a very well made yacht I measured the overall length and with a bumper added it will measure in Length is 648 +5mm bumper will be under max of 650+/5
Dec 20, 2014, 02:23 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
My wife got me an explorer for Christmas... It arrived yesterday but I can't open it...

Where do you get a bumper from? Atomik had the explorer for $110 plus free shipping this week so she snagged it since the DF was still over $175... And she's not sure if I'm going to like sailboating.... (She says if I like it then I can get another boat later, but she's not going to spend $175 on my first) I love her... Rc boats are the only Rc I DONT have... Lol (planes, helis, quads, car, trucks, motorcycles, all scales....)
Dec 20, 2014, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
...Where do you get a bumper from?
The Dragon Force bumper will not suit this boat as it fits into mouldings on the hull.

I suggest you consider fabricating a bumper. Cut up an old thong (flip-flop, beach footwear) to get a piece the correct shape and glue it on the bow. A sharp blade and sandpaper should do the job.

To comply with RG rules, it needs to be at least 5mm fore and aft (but should not make the boat longer than 661 mm overall) and it needs to be at least 3 mm wide.

RG65 2014 rules:
Rule 1.1.1 defines hull length:
It is intention of these Rules to give ample freedom to design and build R/C sailing racing models whose length will be of 65 +/- 0,5 cm, with an rig height of up to 110 cm and a maximum sail area of 2250 cm2.

Rule 3.2.2 defines the bumper
On the bow and from the deck, there will be a fender protecting, with a length of 0.5 +/- 0.1 cm by 0.3 cm of width at least, of elastomeric material (flexible gum, elastic foam, etc)

So taking the tolerances to the limit, the hull can be up to 655 mm long and the fender can be up to 6 mm for a total overall length of 661 mm

Hope this helps...
Dec 21, 2014, 04:04 AM
Useful Idiot
I get the impression that the Explorer is Josway's idea of what a sailing boat should look like and the DF what sailors think it should. Judging by comments on here, I think the sailors have been proved right.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:37 AM
Buying your first entry level boat on price alone is not a good idea - A boat that doesn't sail well will only give you a bad impression of RC sailing - The Explorer and the DF may look the same but they are miles apart in performance -
Dec 21, 2014, 10:55 PM
Well I asked for a DF... and I guess the wife thought the Explorer was close enough, plus is was on sale.... The good thing is, she has already said that if I get into this, I can get another boat....

I'll make whatever improvements I need to, make some of my own sails... And see how it goes... The time I get to enjoy my hobbies in peace is already limited, so I probably won't be able to sail as much as I want to either.... (Still haven't flown the parkzone umx corsair I got for my birthday in September., and I've built three FPV quads that have yet to see real air) she keeps me really occupied doing non-hobby things...
Dec 21, 2014, 11:56 PM
Quote:
...) she keeps me really occupied doing non-hobby things...
Clearly SHE needs a hobby (grin)
Dec 26, 2014, 12:48 PM
Lol... I know right?

Btw... I can't find the serial number anywhere on the boat or its parts.... Any help?
Dec 26, 2014, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Lol... I know right?

Btw... I can't find the serial number anywhere on the boat or its parts.... Any help?
Its the same as the part number on the box
Dec 26, 2014, 11:20 PM
Gotcha...thanks....when I went to the site I saw the instructions... I wish I had known they were giving me so much extra line for the rigging/sheeting, I would have been easier to use more to tie off all my connections... But everything works... Just need to get it in the water
Last edited by Akura2; Dec 29, 2014 at 01:33 AM.
Dec 30, 2014, 05:59 PM
I'm interested in hearing your reviews, my Explorer is in route lol.

I bought a Joysway Caribbean over the summer and I've wanted a full size boat ever since.I bought a $20 Aquacraft Paradise but its in rough shape and I'm afraid I'll unbalance it trying to fix the hull and end up with something that sails worse then stock.

The Explorer ended up in Tower H's inventory reduction daily sale, with easy pay, or I wouldnt of been able to afford it.It'll be alot safer then using my Caribbean in big lakes so I couldn't ask for more for $38x3.I've been in love with the Explorers appearance since I first saw it so it felt like its meant to be.

Quick Reply