Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 08, 2004, 02:29 PM

What radio/transmitter should I get?

I'm about to get my first real RC plane (only owned that $50 toy stealth last year) and am thinking of getting the Hitec Flash 5 radio. Is this a good choice? Would you recommend another one?

I want one I can connect to my PC by USB.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2004, 03:57 PM
Not sure if you can connect to PC with it, but I bought a JS Qauttro Lite. It's a fairly cheap 4 channel at $124 you get the TX, reciever and 2 servos...

I have one and I find it suits me perfectly for my parkflyers.
May 08, 2004, 04:16 PM
Watch This !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch2s
I'm about to get my first real RC plane (only owned that $50 toy stealth last year) and am thinking of getting the Hitec Flash 5 radio. Is this a good choice? Would you recommend another one?

I want one I can connect to my PC by USB.

Thanks
I'm not sure if the Flash 5 can connect to your PC but it is an excellent radio.
If you order a complete system make sure you get the HS 55 servos (smaller) and NOT the larger ones.

Any of the name brand COMPUTER radios are good, it comes down to a matter of preference. The 5 channel will serve you for a long time and has dual rates, end point adjustment, servo reversing, flap switch and many other features.

It's kind of clumsy to program but after a while you get the knack of it. I have both the Flash 5 and also the Eclipse7 and am very happy with them both.

If it doesn't hook up to the PC just pick up a dual stick controller from WalMart 20-25$. (I'm assuming you're running FMS software)

Ed
May 08, 2004, 04:38 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
The Flash 5 will hook up to a computer by USB, you just need to have the right adapter cable that plugs the other end into the trainer port on the transmitter.

The adapters are widely available in the For Sale forum here and on E Bay. Each brand of radio need a specific adapter to match, they are not interchangeable.

The Flash 5 is a great radio.
May 09, 2004, 04:39 PM
I second the Flash 5X. It was my first and several years later it's still my favorite. I've almost outgrown it though; five model memories seems like a lot until you use 'em all up!

You will need an adapter cable for the sim hookup. I'll warn you: USB versions are generally more expensive than parallel or serial counterparts. If you can locate buckeyes1997 (Matt Clement; I think I got his username right), he might be able to build you one of the latter two types of cables. I bought one from him a few years ago and am very pleased with it.

As for alternatives, the Logitech Wingman dual-stick joystick/pad will work as a dummy controller, but it is a lousy substitute for the real thing because you won't develop the proper muscle memory and technique with the Wingman. It will help your thought processes though. My father experimented with that setup and really struggled with it; the Tx and joystick didn't feel anything alike.

The Flash 5X version you want is the GLIDER package. It is more expensive than the standard package, but comes with gear we electric guys can actually use (Hitec 555 Rx and three HS-81 servos; at least, that's what I got in mine). Good places to shop are ServoCity (http://www.servocity.com) and Tower Hobbies (http://www.towerhobbies.com).

Wings
May 09, 2004, 04:57 PM
I'm a newbie that just got a flash5. I love it.

The instructions are really bad, but once you get used to it it's really easy to adjust EPA, reverse servos, and do Expo, mixing or dual. That 5th channel can do cool stuff, like flaperons, gear or lights.

I got mine on ebay, with a USB PC connector for around $120. Had to shell out 8 bucks for a a strap elsewhere though.

The USB cable sells for almost as much as the Tx, hehe. Theives!

But using FMS with the cable has been a really great training tool, especially for control reversal. After 2 Slow Stick outings , I no longer have "white knuckle" syndrome and can relax and just enjoy flying. I noticed you plan to fly a Slow Stick as your first R/C plane. If you look in the Sim forum, there is an excellent SlowStick model that works on the new FMS alpha 8 free filght sim.

The SS model on aplha 8 is AMAZINGLY realistic now that it incorporates wind and gusts. Flying the real thing is a lot different than when you fly it in a sim with no wind.

Anyway, if you want the USB cable too, you could do worse than get the package on Ebay. Just do a search for Hitec Flash 5. The seller, tti_7 is totally legit, and the skills you gain from the sim are well worth the high price of the USB cable.
Last edited by kosmonot; May 09, 2004 at 05:03 PM.
May 09, 2004, 05:27 PM
You should buy mt JR 8103. 265 shipped and a fantastic radio.
May 09, 2004, 05:30 PM
I am actually just about to buy the flash 5 and usb kit from that ebay seller for $119.

It doesnt come with a receiver or servos but ill get those seperatly. Whats that strap you said you had to get?

Thanks
May 09, 2004, 06:14 PM
Around the World
Flash 5 is great but so is the Prism, and Futaba 7CA / 9CA for a lot more radio. Of course, it's a lot more radio. Flash 5 was my first tx and lasted me over 4 years. Great investment.
May 09, 2004, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch2s
I am actually just about to buy the flash 5 and usb kit from that ebay seller for $119.

It doesnt come with a receiver or servos but ill get those seperatly. Whats that strap you said you had to get?

Thanks
I like to fly with a lanyard/neck strap thing to hold the Tx so I can use my thumb and forefingers for more precise movement on the sticks. And after 30 mins or so you get kinda tired of holding the box without a neck strap. Hitec's Flash 5s don't come with them. You can make your own, or buy one. Tower hobbies sells them for about $8 (ripoff, hehe).

You want one that has a quick removal clip, you NEVER want to do throttle checks with the neck strap on, it's too easy to bump the throttle stick forward accidentally (voice of experience, hehe).
Last edited by kosmonot; May 09, 2004 at 07:05 PM.