Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 17, 2014, 06:43 PM
All Thumbs
Discussion

Post Your Best Scratch-Build for 2014

samwei1950 did this year before last and I havent see another one for this year, so here goes! With 2014 winding down nicely, why not show your best scratchbuilt foamie for the year?

The only rules are:

1) Build MUST be from scratch
2) Build must have been completed in 2014

AND.... with still a few months left, why not finish that one build you lost some steam on? Get 'er Done 'fore the year runs out!

Cheers!

I'll go first though I think this might be the ONLY one I built this year (Summer had me enrolledin bathroom remodel) Nonetheless, its just a taped up version of the tried and true Pink Tank: Aileron Trainer, bu thanks to inspirational words of Whiskers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
It does fly well considering that it doesn't really have wings. Just two thick slabs of foam. It makes me want to grab it and carve and sand an airfoil section into it.
I did just that... and ya know what? it wasnt really that hard. I think I kind of enjoyed it!

The Original:

...and speaking of finishing that half-completed project laying around, maybe I'll even get around to finishing up the Pink 51 sitting on my workbench!
Last edited by tripn4days; Nov 17, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2014, 07:07 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Earlier this year I was obsessed with slow flight , this is a result :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Nov 17, 2014, 07:17 PM
Live to fly... Fly to live

Hmmmm.... ?

I have several builds that are turning out nice, but I guess I would have to pick my PBY Catalina... Mudman1959
Nov 17, 2014, 07:49 PM
All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE
I know the feeling! My original Pink Tank, with square/slab wings and drag off every corner used to just "float" like no other. This new version above with foiled wings and extra weight still flies great, but nothing like it used to...

I love the way those kind of planes can do slow-mo flybys!
Nov 17, 2014, 07:51 PM
All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman1959
I have several builds that are turning out nice, but I guess I would have to pick my PBY Catalina... Mudman1959
Nice! Any snow-sled flights in her future? Looks like she'd love some white fluff to play in!
Nov 17, 2014, 08:45 PM

My Favorite Scratch build

My own design of a trainer!
40 inch KFM3 wing with flaps.
DTFB and painted with Krylon Fussion for plastic.
Has about 30 flights this year and it was built at the end of July.
The pattern is in .PNG format from windows 7 paint.
Nov 17, 2014, 09:43 PM
I cant get enough of this plane heres a like to it
Nov 18, 2014, 05:22 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
I've built quite a few this year, but this one is my favorite (at the moment ) Not a competitive F3P plane, but done in that acrobatic style. Twin motors coupled to the rudder with asymmetrical thrust on a switch.

Azarr
Nov 18, 2014, 07:04 AM
Not the best, but the most fun. The flying witch
Also an Avro Arrow using the guts from the micro Mig 15. Not done yet.
In the works is Wylie Coyote. Modified for better aerodynamics.

Gord.
Nov 18, 2014, 10:43 AM
Built a bunch, but this could be the pick of the litter. Pinkus Special, modded with a kfm wing and ailerons, built with FFF, cheap acrylic paint. A zippy flyer
Nov 18, 2014, 11:59 AM
yank and bank!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE
I still think that must be the most relaxing plane ever.....
Nov 18, 2014, 12:23 PM

Real Thing

Wing Span 38", 11 oz. Cut down 8X4.3. It flys great. Better than the Full size wooden one.
Nov 18, 2014, 02:43 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat
I still think that must be the most relaxing plane ever.....
RC soap bubble comes to mind ....
Nov 18, 2014, 04:45 PM
Fly Different

A few of my recent best builds:

Random, off-topic moment, before I showcase them... I didn't realize Azarr was on the forums until just recently. I was able to catch him at this year's club picnic (after my long hiatus from the SMAC field).

Alright, I'm not sure if this is going to violate the rules for this thread by doing this, but I have three favorites to showcase here (two of which are the same model):

First up, the Striker:

This was originally an absurd attempt at achieving supersonic propeller tip speeds.
Gentle, yet nimble when necessary. No issues with tip stalls, bank & yank @125% servo throw.