Sep 14, 2019, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkanter
This may have been asked before but can you put retracts in?
Its not retract ready.. I posted some photos in this thread of the wings inner structure (sorry, dont know post #s). Basically you'd have to do the mod yourself and the fuse mount would be in the way. Maybe it would be able to be done if one goes taildragger
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 06:43 AM
RC Thanks, I will look for your post to see the wings inner structure. Taildragger would be what I would do if possible.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
KM6UBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
I have a 5055-580 motor NIB that I am considering for my Typhoon. I fly at 5,000 foot elevation so I need a little extra power for my models. The stats say the motor is capable of 1500 Watts output but not sure what prop/Battery combo provides that power. What is the largest prop I can use on the Typhoon? I will be flying from asphalt so I may be able to get bye with a little larger prop. Any recommendations?? TNX..

Randy
Hi Randy,

I have flown this combo At 6000' (Cedar City, Utah) with huge reserves of thrust. Rimfire 60, 5s 5000 LiPo, 13 x 10 APC E prop. If you go 6S, drop back to a 13 x 8 prop.
(see post #323):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Typhoon/page22

You can prop up to compensate for altitude. Electric motors make the same power regardless of altitude, the prop is was suffers in the thinner air. Just check your current draw and you will be alright.

Prop clearance with the 13 inch prop is close but ok from asphalt. I was using smaller diameter tires than stock, if you use the stock tires, it will give a little more clearance.

Best of luck,
Robert
Last edited by Vertigo II; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: stock tire detail
Sep 18, 2019, 12:17 PM

Thanks

Thanks Robert, will have to choose between 5S and 6S batteries. I have Mike and Jean Greear to help me get the bird flight ready.

Randy
Sep 18, 2019, 12:28 PM
KM6UBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatball
Thanks Robert, will have to choose between 5S and 6S batteries. I have Mike and Jean Greear to help me get the bird flight ready.

Randy
Outstanding! My wife and I will be at your field for the pattern contest at the end of the month. See you then.

Here are a couple of pics of Mike flying my Typhoon at the Prado contest a couple of years back.

Robert
Sep 18, 2019, 12:38 PM
After talking to Mike I ordered this beauty when it became available. He liked the way your Typhoon flew. This was his second choice but the Kaos is not available. I am new to pattern so the Typhoon should work OK for Club and Novice classes for my 74 year old trembling thumbs...

R
Sep 19, 2019, 07:31 PM

It's Here

The big box arrived today from Tower Hobby with my Typhoon. First impression is positive. I think I have most of what I need to complete the model. However, I have not decided what battery and prop combination I will be using. Oh well, I can do the build (assembly) without the batteries. I do plan on doing the tail modification with an enlarged dorsal fin while putting the model together.

R
Sep 21, 2019, 05:27 PM
Highly considering grabbing one of these from Tower, got a couple Q's.

1: I'm a fairly new pilot but, at this point, I've more or less reached the limit of what my NexSTAR can do aerobatically. I can do immelmans, split S's, inside loops, wingovers, stall turns pretty much on command; plane will begrudgingly do aileron rolls with the sacrifice of a TON of altitude and inverted/knife edge are right out. Would the Typhoon be a good aerobatic second plane? I don't have any plans on competing and 3D planes just don't interest me, but I want to move onto something more nimble than what I'm already flying and everyone at my field tells me a pattern ship is where I should go for that.

2: I will be using 4-cycle power on this thing, owing to the fuel economy, cleaner installation(That enormous 2-cycle exhaust is a damn eyesore IMO), and nicer sound they have. Unlimited vertical isn't necessary but I do want cruise power to be in the 35-55% range. That's where my NexSTAR is and I feel quite comfortable with the plane cruising at just under half power. I have a Saito FA-45 MkII just sitting here doing nothing(It's planned for a 1.8m Skyhunter conversion and currently swings a 10-7-3 pusher at 9500 no problemo but I might backburner that project for something like this) which I'm half tempted to use for it. I do have two-cycle engines on hand(An OS 46AX I with iffy main bearings and an ST GS45ABC with <150cc through a fresh overhaul) but, honestly, I want to move away from 2-cycle engines wherever possible. I love the sound and the fuel economy of 4-cycle too much.

2a: Prop wise I'll probably use a 10-7-3 or 11-6-3. Maybe an 11-7-3 or 11-8-3(I actually have one of these in my parts bin) if I get a potent enough engine to swing it. I like 3-blade props, just look better on the ground and I've never had any problem with their performance in air. 'bout what size spinner works on this plane? Guarantee any included spinner won't be compatible with 3-blade props.

3: Has anyone ever tried FPV on one of these? They have clear canopies and inverted engines so they seem a natural candidate for it in my eyes.

4: I'm going to go spelunking in the thread for this dorsal fin modification people keep mentioning, but in the interim, can someone give me a tl;dr of why it helps and what's needed to make it?

5: Any suggestions for wheel pants? I had half a mind to give it retracts but, after reading a couple pages of the thread, I see that's not the most feasible course. I fly off a paved runway so how it handles grass isn't really relevant to my purposes and I'd love to have a bit less wheel drag + nicer looks that would come from wheel pants.
Last edited by C6 Aviation; Sep 21, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 05:50 PM
A Saito 45 will not be enough power for this plane. I wouldnt recommend 4 cycle power for this plane, but if done, it would have to be at least a .70c.i. Regardless if using a 2 cycle or 4 cycle, pattern planes are higher performance airplanes with symmetrical airfoils (less lift than a flat bottom akrfoil at any given speed). Thinking you could putt around at 35-55% power is a pipe dream. You'll be stalled at 35% and on the verge of stalling at 55% (or at least sluggish), unless you put an OS 75AX on it, which wont fit. I think you get my drift.

If you want to buzz around the sky at 45-50 mph tops, maybe you should get something sportier than your Nexstar but not a pattern plane. There are plenty of good acrobatic sport planes around. And its gotta be smaller (50 inch span tops) and lighter for a Saito 45; even smaller if you want to cruise at 35-55%. This one is more at "home" flying at least in the 70-80 mph range (or higher). As to FPV... uh... NO!

BTW... I have this plane, and years of pattern plane "experience", so I'm not just posting random thoughts here.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Sep 21, 2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Sep 21, 2019, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
Thinking you could putt around at 35-55% power is a pipe dream. You'll be stalled at 35% and on the verge of stalling at 55% (or at least sluggish), unless you put an OS 75AX on it, which wont fit. I think you get my drift.
That sounds fine to me. I want it to be able to cruise at that power level. Doesn't mean it's going to be doing that very often, if at all. It's not a ship to putt around lazily on, but if I can fly it at around half throttle without it dropping out of the sky it has enough power to fly comfortably at the speeds it's intended to fly at.

See what I'm getting at with that turn of phrase now? If I need full power just to keep the thing aloft, it's underpowered. If it will sustain controlled flight at half power, it has ample poke.

In all likelihood it's gonna be running flat out most days anyway, regardless of what engine goes into it.

Quote:
If you want to buzz around the sky at 45-50 mph tops, maybe you should get something sportier than your Nexstar but not a pattern plane.
NexSTAR'll do 45-50 if I poke it with a stick. It isn't happy about it but it will do it.

No, if I had one of these, I'd be going fast enough to trigger a speed camera put on the side of the interstate.

I'm also pretty short on options these days. The only other sort of thing that might fit the bill would be a warbird, and those are A: notoriously unforgiving B: Almost impossible to find in 40-size anymore. 3D planes bore me and are designed more to fly on the prop than the wing, I already have high-wing cruisers, that leaves pattern ships, warbirds, and oddities like nutballs and wings.

Quote:
There are plenty of good acrobatic sport planes around. And its gotta be smaller (50 inch span tops) and lighter for a Saito 45; even smaller if you want to cruise at 35-55%.
Or perhaps I could channel my inner hotrodder and throw a supercharger on the Saito. We shall see. I always have wanted to try that with one of those RBInnovations units...they just kill two strokes with no power gain but, in theory, there's no reason they wouldn't work on a 4-stroke.

Either way, while I am flexible on the exact engine(FS70, FS62, FS56a, Saito FA-56, FA-60, Magnum clones of OS engines all come to mind), I am 100% dead set on 4-cycle. There is no convincing me to use a 2-cycle on this project, or indeed any other plane I build that isn't 1/2a sized.

Quote:
This one is more at "home" flying at least in the 70-80 mph range (or higher).

Mmmm. Speed. I want something fast. You're just making me want this plane even more by telling me this. I already have something slow and floaty...actually I have three...I'm looking for something fast, nimble, on-rails.

Quote:
As to FPV... uh... NO!
Any particular reason you're saying this?

Quote:
BTW... I have this plane, and years of pattern plane "experience", so I'm not just posting random thoughts here.
If it flies well enough for it to be someone's first aerobatic plane I'll figure out a suitable 4-cycle powerplant.
Last edited by C6 Aviation; Sep 21, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:51 PM
I see you added a few more points... like I said... based on your comments and what your after, I dont think this is the plane for you. But hey! Seems your set on it. So Godspeed! I do wonder why ask only to then rationalize my every advice.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Sep 21, 2019 at 06:57 PM.
Sep 21, 2019, 07:26 PM
AMA 46133
>>1: I'm a fairly new pilot but, at this point, I've more or less reached the limit of what my NexSTAR can do aerobatically. I can do immelmans, split S's, inside loops, wingovers, stall turns pretty much on command; plane will begrudgingly do aileron rolls with the sacrifice of a TON of altitude and inverted/knife edge are right out. Would the Typhoon be a good aerobatic second plane? I don't have any plans on competing and 3D planes just don't interest me, but I want to move onto something more nimble than what I'm already flying and everyone at my field tells me a pattern ship is where I should go for that.<<

The short answer is NO. Moving from a NexSTAR to a Typhoon is not a good move. Unless your name is Chip Hyde or Hanno Prettner. Something like the Four Star or Bingo or even the Great Planes Sportster will be a better bet. Just because you can do those maneuvers does not mean a whole lot as far as flying skills. Sorry but that is not meant to put to down. I have been flying for 50 years and have seen enough young and old in my life time. The plane will behave very differently than a NexSTAR. Not in a bad way but in a way that is way too fast for your reaction time. You make a wrong move and a fraction of a second later you are on the ground in a hole.

>>2: I will be using 4-cycle power on this thing, owing to the fuel economy, cleaner installation(That enormous 2-cycle exhaust is a damn eyesore IMO), and nicer sound they have. Unlimited vertical isn't necessary but I do want cruise power to be in the 35-55% range. That's where my NexSTAR is and I feel quite comfortable with the plane cruising at just under half power. I have a Saito FA-45 MkII just sitting here doing nothing(It's planned for a 1.8m Skyhunter conversion and currently swings a 10-7-3 pusher at 9500 no problemo but I might backburner that project for something like this) which I'm half tempted to use for it. I do have two-cycle engines on hand(An OS 46AX I with iffy main bearings and an ST GS45ABC with <150cc through a fresh overhaul) but, honestly, I want to move away from 2-cycle engines wherever possible. I love the sound and the fuel economy of 4-cycle too much.<<

A four stroke 45 simply will not fly this plane. You need a minimum of a Saito 65 glow. Then you have to worry about the added weight in the nose and you will be flying nose heavy.

>>3: Has anyone ever tried FPV on one of these? They have clear canopies and inverted engines so they seem a natural candidate for it in my eyes.<<

You can be the first.

>>5: Any suggestions for wheel pants? I had half a mind to give it retracts but, after reading a couple pages of the thread, I see that's not the most feasible course. I fly off a paved runway so how it handles grass isn't really relevant to my purposes and I'd love to have a bit less wheel drag + nicer looks that would come from wheel pants.<<

Are you going for the looks. Adding such complexity to your second RC plane is asking for trouble. That's trying to take a bite that is too big for your stomach.
Sep 21, 2019, 09:29 PM
This might be a better choice for your first low winger (the Phoenix Sonic). And the Saito might fly it decently. Cheaper too... Is it as good looking as the Typhoon? No... but its capable of more than you'll probably be able to do at first. Semi-symmetrical airfoil. You can see the video at the Tower Hobbies site.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Sep 21, 2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Sep 22, 2019, 05:08 AM
A man with too many toys
I have a Sonic and it's an ok sport flyer. Anything less than an OS 35 and it will be underpowered for aerobatics. Had to install larger wheels to fly it from a grass field.

Sep 22, 2019, 09:42 AM
C6 first of all congratulations on staying with it in RC and I am very pleased to hear that you want to take the next step. That's fantastic!! It takes a lot of hard work and practice to move on to a low wing airframe and that's an accomplishment you should be very happy with. At this point, which everyone hits in their RC career, you have a choice between doing things the hard way or the smart way. You're going to find that the Typhoon will be a very tough plane to transition to and especially land with out ripping the gear out on your first flight. Also, with a 4 stroke, you're going to spend more time messing with the engine and fuel system than flying the airplane. My advice is to keep things simple. Move to a 4 Star or any of the other planes mentioned here. Also, consider buying a used plane from the classifieds.

At this point, with a good solid foundation flying, you need to figure out how to setup an airplane and how changing things like c/g, thrust, prop, control throws etc change how the airplane flies. Here's an inconvenient fact for you: a good pattern pilot would be able to fly a well setup NextSTAR through the intermediate sequence. Believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Aviation
Highly considering grabbing one of these from Tower, got a couple Q's.

1: I'm a fairly new pilot but, at this point, I've more or less reached the limit of what my NexSTAR can do aerobatically. I can do immelmans, split S's, inside loops, wingovers, stall turns pretty much on command; plane will begrudgingly do aileron rolls with the sacrifice of a TON of altitude and inverted/knife edge are right out. Would the Typhoon be a good aerobatic second plane? I don't have any plans on competing and 3D planes just don't interest me, but I want to move onto something more nimble than what I'm already flying and everyone at my field tells me a pattern ship is where I should go for that.

Sorry, but I have to ask.... why do you think the problem is with the airplane? Could your skills also be contributing to the problem? (Not trying to be argumentative, but you can choose to chase airplanes to "fix things" or choose to chase flying skills. Skills are the better investment.) Nimble is an interesting concept. By changing your CG and control throws and setting good engine thrust, you can get a more "nimble" airplane without buying a new one. Are you aware of the relationship between CG and altitude loss on aileron rolls? If you are losing a ton of altitude that tells me that you are rolling using only aileron and not with rudder and elevator. You can do a nice roll in a NextSTAR w/o diving into the mud. It's all about technique. Remember, rudder and down elevator to maintain your altitude in a roll are your friends. Try mastering slow rolls. Why? That Typhoon will roll a lot like your NextSTAR if you don't have the proper CG or proper control inputs during the rolling maneuver. That airplane will magnify all your mistakes.

2: I will be using 4-cycle power on this thing, owing to the fuel economy, cleaner installation(That enormous 2-cycle exhaust is a damn eyesore IMO), and nicer sound they have. Unlimited vertical isn't necessary but I do want cruise power to be in the 35-55% range. That's where my NexSTAR is and I feel quite comfortable with the plane cruising at just under half power. I have a Saito FA-45 MkII just sitting here doing nothing(It's planned for a 1.8m Skyhunter conversion and currently swings a 10-7-3 pusher at 9500 no problemo but I might backburner that project for something like this) which I'm half tempted to use for it. I do have two-cycle engines on hand(An OS 46AX I with iffy main bearings and an ST GS45ABC with <150cc through a fresh overhaul) but, honestly, I want to move away from 2-cycle engines wherever possible. I love the sound and the fuel economy of 4-cycle too much.

Well, this sounds more like a personal preference than anything. Yes, you can go 4 cycle and you will be spending a lot of time setting up the engine and tuning it. In fact that will occupy more time than flying. You may want to ask yourself why back in the day and even now 4-cycle is not common on the pattern circuit. Lot to learn there in this exercise.

2a: Prop wise I'll probably use a 10-7-3 or 11-6-3. Maybe an 11-7-3 or 11-8-3(I actually have one of these in my parts bin) if I get a potent enough engine to swing it. I like 3-blade props, just look better on the ground and I've never had any problem with their performance in air. 'bout what size spinner works on this plane? Guarantee any included spinner won't be compatible with 3-blade props.

Did you know that if you change your prop to 3 blade you may need to make other adjustments to the plane, especially as it relates to engine thrust line? Why? You need to learn that simply putting a different prop on the plane changes a lot of things.

3: Has anyone ever tried FPV on one of these? They have clear canopies and inverted engines so they seem a natural candidate for it in my eyes.

I don't care about FPV.. My personal preference.

4: I'm going to go spelunking in the thread for this dorsal fin modification people keep mentioning, but in the interim, can someone give me a tl;dr of why it helps and what's needed to make it?

5: Any suggestions for wheel pants? I had half a mind to give it retracts but, after reading a couple pages of the thread, I see that's not the most feasible course. I fly off a paved runway so how it handles grass isn't really relevant to my purposes and I'd love to have a bit less wheel drag + nicer looks that would come from wheel pants.
Wheel pants will affect how the plane flies by adding additional parasite drag under the wing. I would not recommend putting these on. Nor would I recommend retracts. Your biggest problem with this airplane will be finding out how easy it is to rip the gear out by landing too fast. It will not land like a NextSTAR and my guess is that you will have your hands full.

Try for more basic low wing.. Or, if you have an unlimited budget and building time get the Typhoon. We're just trying to help you out, because all of us have been a this inflection point thinking the same way you are and had a lot of expensive lessons to learn. Fraternally, -Ken

PS: Go get an NSRCA coach.
Last edited by kdunlap; Sep 22, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply