Jun 29, 2021, 03:19 PM
I have mine over a year and it remains in the box. Upon receiving it, I dry assembled it as much as possible.
First impressions :
Too heavy
Ailerons and elevators have slight warps
Incidence issues.
Except for the weight, most issues can be overcome.
For the price, it's as good as it gets.
That's why so many of us rather build.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2021, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
>>Stock CG was too far forward. Mine is electric. I altered the fuse to allow the ESC to be move in the belly aft almost to the servos. CG is good. <<

Typically with an electric powered airplane the main power battery is the heaviest component. So to adjust CG most of us move the battery location instead. The speed controller or ESC is not the heaviest component. Plus the speed controller wants to be as closed to the electric motor as possible so as to use the minimum cable length. Secondly the speed controller may give off enough radio interference to the receiver so I typically keep the speed controller as far away from the receiver as possible.
I FIRST ,moved the battery as far aft as possible. I opened up the little oval holes in the belly, this cools the ESC. Altered part of one bulkhead to allow the ESC to be moved aft a couple of inches. This IS NOT ENOUGH TO CAUSE other problems. I achieved the correct CG!! Having corrected the stab incidence & ventral fin at the advice of VERTIGO II. I altered the fuse to allow the stb. wing to be inserted into the fuse. I made the incidence of the wings EQUAL. My Typhoon now tracks perfectly & will K.E., roll & do other maneuvers CORRECTLY. thanks Mitch
Jul 02, 2021, 10:14 AM

Typhoon alteratlons

I was lucky & had the expert advice about the TYPHOON from VERTIGO II. ( a master class pilot) If you fail to correct the CG, correct the stab incidence, increase the ventral fin your Typhoon will not fly correctly. You may THINK it's correct if you're not experienced enough to know the difference. On mine the stb wing would not insert into the fuse, it struck the stb wing fillet. I solved that. Then the incidence of the wings was DIFFERENT. I solved that. Phoenix models are heavy. I added flaperons. About 15 -20% as I recall. The Typhoon will stall if you're not careful. It's not a short field plane. But now mine is a good 40 pattern plane.
Sep 12, 2021, 01:42 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
I assembled a Typhoon back in January 2018. I enjoyed several flights on it but was crowded for hangar space at the time and sold it.

Recently decided to do another one as I recall it being a very nice flyer. Well, Typhoon #2 is assembled and flying now. I’ve gotten over a dozen flights on the new one and it’s exactly the sweet, smooth flyer I remembered.

Several minor changes on the new ones. Most notable being a different cowl - the new cowl has side nostrils instead of the lower air inlet. The new cowl appears to be identical to the Aurora one.

#2 is assembled with similar low priced components as the first but I’m totally pleased with how it performs. This time, I’ll not let it go so quickly.
Sep 12, 2021, 02:38 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Notes on the assembly of my second Typhoon:

In addition to the stab incidence issues discussed earlier in this thread, #2 had a severe horizontal misalignment. Required a good bit of sanding and shimming to achieve a level stab.

First plane tended toward nose heaviness while this second one, with essentially the same weight components, was tail heavy and required 2 oz of nose weight to balance.

The paint line on the cowl was severely misaligned with the fuse - on both sides. Sent pictures to Tower and they (reluctantly) agreed to send a replacement cowl. But only after I indicated I was just going to return the entire kit. Customer service isn’t as “fast and friendly” as it was prior to Horizon takeover.
Sep 12, 2021, 02:42 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
You might also note: because of the new design cowl nostrils, the paint line has to make an awkward turn upward. The earlier cowl looked nicer.
Sep 19, 2021, 08:54 AM
dbc
dbc
dbc
I got the Pocket Radar on my Typhoon this morning. Several level passes in both directions. I’m really pleased that this inexpensive ($45) 46 size motor can provide this much speed and unlimited vertical in a 6.25 lb plane.
Sep 20, 2021, 12:52 PM
NICE!!!!! 100 mph level? How about diving and take a reading? LOL
Sep 26, 2021, 02:28 PM
She's ready. Powered by Eflite Power .52, 100 amp ESC, 6S & 13x8 prop.
Sep 29, 2021, 02:46 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogordo
She's ready. Powered by Eflite Power .52, 100 amp ESC, 6S & 13x8 prop.
Looks great. Flown it yet?
Sep 29, 2021, 02:52 PM
Maiden this weekend depending on the weather. South Texas has rain in the forecast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
Looks great. Flown it yet?
Sep 29, 2021, 03:14 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Report on your maiden.

I’m flying mine almost daily. I’m no pattern flyer but sure enjoy the Typhoon for sport and basic aerobatic flying. Smooth, stable and confident in the air. Easy takeoffs and landings. Hard to find fault with it how I use it.
Dec 27, 2021, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
Finally bought one. On sale at Tower for $149.00 until New Years Eve.

Are most of the builders going electric on this model or glow?

Jim
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Feb 05, 2022, 06:41 PM

PNP/BNF Foam Counterpart and Pattern Type Flying Trainer

Two questions:

1. I would like to know if anybody knows or believes there is a PNP or BNF FOAM plane selling now that is SIMILAR in flying characteristics to this Typhoon?
I ask because I like the simplicity of building those type of FOAM planes.

2. Does this plane fly like a 50 size PATTERN plane as it seems to look and advertised?

Thank you
Feb 05, 2022, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvflyer
Two questions:

1. I would like to know if anybody knows or believes there is a PNP or BNF FOAM plane selling now that is SIMILAR in flying characteristics to this Typhoon?
I ask because I like the simplicity of building those type of FOAM planes. No

2. Does this plane fly like a 50 size PATTERN plane as it seems to look and advertised? Yes

Thank you
See the short and direct answers in red above. Seems you've been looking for a while. If you want to try the "pattern experience" your easiest venture will be something along these lines. Its not plug and play, but much faster than building. Best of all, is not foam (nothing personal, but once you go wood, uh... you'll see that its good ). There might be a foam PNP classic pattern plane out there that I don't know of (other than the Smoove), but I doubt it. Getting on the backorder list for one of those Dynam Smoove you've been searching for would be your best bet if it must be foam, and although its pattern, its not classic pattern.
Last edited by RC YEAGER; Feb 05, 2022 at 09:15 PM.

Quick Reply