Nov 15, 2014, 09:46 AM
Made in Germany
Thread OP
New Product

AUAV -X2 miniHawk, a great PIXHAWK replacement @ NAZA size ?

Attention: According to Phillip Kocmoud and Nick Arsov, the AUAV -X2 Flight Controller is retired !

The same company just came up with the Pixracer, the new PIXHAWK FMUv4 Generation with different hardware running with the PX4 Flight Stack or with a modified Arducopter FW. My posts/pics of this thread donīt apply to this new, completely different board.

The new Pixracer Thread @ RCG can be found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2576614

gervais, january 2016

If you think about Bulgaria, youīre probably thinking of the Goldstrand, sweet wine and beautyful women.

But you wonīt guess thats the home of a company building flight controllers : >> Arsovtech is not a newcomer, but until a couple of months ago mainly known by MatrixPilot users. (Donīt worry, I did not know about as well)..

Sure, PR is not the main biz of Phillip Kocmoud and Nick Arsov : They created recently a real exciting flight controller (full PIXHAWK replacement) and announced its release rather hidden @ DIY Drones. (by purpose ?) Almost (?) nobody noticed that. Time to show it here.

Boring ? Well, youīve read the title and judge...just another dumb PIXHAWK clone. And you are right at first sight, but wrong at second. Although the new flight controller, called AUAV -X2 (Sort of donīt remember that name) is a PIXHAWK derivate and therefore using the same technology, its coming with a completely different design:

Its small, small, small ...so small that you probably wonder, why the 3DR PIXHAWK (which I showed at my >>>IRIS review) is that big.

Features:

STM32F427VI ARM microcontroller
STM32F100C8T6 ARM microcontroller
ST Micro L3GD20 / ST Micro LSM303D / Invensense MPU 6000
MEAS MS5611 barometer
New power supply based on TPS63061 DC-DC Buck-Boost
Connections:
3 x UART
1 x CAN
1 x I2C
1 x SPI
2 x ADC
8 x PWM Receiver Inputs
8 Spare IO Pins
2 x JTAG connection specifically for the TC2030-CTX-NL 6-Pin cable
micro SD card holder
micro USB connector

Manual : You donīt need them all ;-) Their purpose and how to connect e.g. SBUS,Spektrum is described at the good manual: http://arsovtech.com/wp-content/uplo...manual-EN1.pdf

Its easy like it looks, the bulky Turnigy Rx with PWM / PPM encoder is far to big, any tiny FrSky or Spektrum PPM SUM or SBUS would do even better. Note that it doesnīt come with a big LED and uses a simple buzzer...maybe you miss some melodies...But you can connect LED for status anyways, even brighter ones,

True, it does nothing better than the original PIXHAWK design by ETH Zurich, Lorenz Meier, its based on, but it fits easily into all these Phantom, Walkera, Horizon, Quantum, Cheerson whatever birds, turning boring or even faulty kids stuff into real autonomous flight machines, being capable of Flying Waypoints, Follow Me and all the other exciting stuff, fabulous Arducopter 3.2 Firmware is offering.
And will get all the benefits of further great AC developments as well . Everybody knows, that APM and its mini derivates are tempi passati, concerning this..party is over for them.

The power supply is different from PIXHAWK. Although its prepared to use the Power Brick (Power Module), its ready for a redundant BEC or battery, if you want. Itīs running with one simple BEC as well.

Another interesting detail is the seperate IMU board (same Sensors as PX) which comes already soldered on the board. Originally at the (even more) unknown ancestor AUVX1, it was planned to swap the IMU bob acccording to users/FW requirements, a very professional approach.

However, this one comes ready to go with the familiar PX sensors... so its working right away with the Arducopter FW and its great beginners help, the Mission Planner. No compiling or whatever. Pros might consider to buy the version with an unsoldered IMU board, maybe for separate inhouse IMU damping experiments. Others will like to start right away, which is easy, because:

All 3DR or 3rd party addons fit... well, youīll get mostly rid of the tiny DF-13 or Molex Pico connectors, clones are usually offering the latter , but guess, most users will survive that...

The miniHawk (Well, the makers prefer to call it AUAV -X2) is offering all the Inputs , ouputs and ports , pilots usually need for: Telemetry, GPS, external MAG, Airspeed sensor , Xbee...all is covered....

But wait: Second CANBUS port is missing, but well, do you know someone using the first ?

Why should you buy it ? If you already own a PIXHAWK, and have plenty of space...you are settled.
But if you have the former APM or its mini version, being at the end of software life...or you just like to enjoy smoother flights with the fabulous Extended Kalman Filter (EKF), or are interested in the use of the integrated dual IMU or second GPS/MAG for real redundancy, the AUAV-X2 miniHawk sure is a great choice, thanks to marvellous PIXHAWK HowTos and active communities for beginners as well.

Your Cheerson, Walkera whatever toy is already crying for it. Anywell, since this company has not only a european but an >>>US store and its sold for just about 130$ , you might want to delete your alibaba order now... or call grandma for some extra credit.

And tell your friends, great products from smaller companies deserve our support, especially shy ones like Arsovtech.

PS: This article reflects just my personal point of view. Arsovtech sure did not want to call this miniHawk , but I think this nice product deserves a better name, people can remember. German version of this introduction here: http://fpv-community.de/showthread.p...l=1#post713812

to be continued....
Last edited by gervais; Jan 08, 2016 at 02:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2014, 09:47 AM
Made in Germany
Thread OP
Attention: According to Phillip Kocmoud and Nick Arsov, the AUAV -X2 Flight Controller is retired !

The same company just came up with the Pixracer, the new PIXHAWK FMUv4 Generation with different hardware running with the PX4 Flight Stack or with a modified Arducopter FW. My posts/pics of this thread donīt apply to this new, completely different board.

The new Pixracer Thread @ RCG can be found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2576614

gervais, january 2016
Last edited by gervais; Jan 08, 2016 at 02:19 AM.
Nov 16, 2014, 04:07 AM
While I can disagree a bit about beautiful women, as their neighbour... the board itself is indeed beautiful and a lot more appealing than $100 chinese clones. Bookmarked !

And ready to get an offer for a not biased review, would be interesting how it stacks against Naze32 in my mini frame.
Nov 16, 2014, 05:54 AM
Made in Germany
Thread OP
Well renatoa, I know some beautyful București women as well, although not being a direct neighbour, since I am from Germany :-) .

Concerning the NAZE32 compare to the miniHawk...it is a great Acro board although their original producers (Abusemark) have a strange sense of humor, as Roberto aka Chrashpilot (fabulous Harakiri) quoted them once :
Quote:
Note: This hardware cannot be used with any DJI frames. This includes: FlameWheel 330, 450, 550, or any future or past frames released by DJI.
Nevertheless, the NAZE is a great choice for manual flyers (@F450 as well), but as soon as you emphasize on UAV goals, definitely not as good or versatile as Arducopter being a mighty system, but definitely overkill for Stuntflyers who want to keep it very simple.

Concerning me being biased: True. Although this is an introduction, a review of mine would be biased as well. I only write about stuff, I like and it doesnīt matter if its done by DJI (check my german propulsion reviews), 3DR (check my Iris review) or anybody else.

And the miniHawk deserves some attention as well, particularly since its makers (I donīt even know them) donīt realize, that its not a great idea to hide interesting products @ the "Nerd Corner of DIY Drones" *

*No intention to bash this valuable Forum and helpful members, but for a product intro ..definitely 2nd choice compared to RCG.
Last edited by gervais; Nov 16, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Nov 21, 2014, 04:08 PM
Made in Germany
Thread OP
This is my basic setup proposal miniHawk Basic , might be a little helper...

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141121/ezqwlvky.png

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141121/yoz2g6ww.png

http://s14.directupload.net/images/141121/n5lkgu57.png

Airspeed Sensor setup:

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/141122/c7xvx9aq.png

Direct links: Original size.
Last edited by gervais; Dec 26, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Dec 23, 2014, 05:00 PM

Looks like a great FMU

I have ordered one from the US store. I will set it up in one of my quads, and compare it with my PIXHawk. The small size will make it ideal for my camera plane.

Love the price $75 shipped.
Dec 24, 2014, 05:15 AM
I don't see any $75 offer, can I get this from an EU shop ?
At this price really interested...
Dec 24, 2014, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
I don't see any $75 offer, can I get this from an EU shop ?
At this price really interested...
Not really sure about the EU sgtore. The price in the US was 69 with soldered pins and 5 shipping
Dec 24, 2014, 05:57 AM
Is funny, manufacturers being Bulgarians, at 400km from me...
Dec 25, 2014, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4gfy
I have ordered one from the US store. I will set it up in one of my quads, and compare it with my PIXHawk. The small size will make it ideal for my camera plane.

Love the price $75 shipped.
I think you ordered the wrong flight controller. The only one for 69 is the AUAV v3 which is a different one, not based on the PX4 and not compatible with it. You should order AUAV-X2.

Regards
Dec 26, 2014, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsergo
I think you ordered the wrong flight controller. The only one for 69 is the AUAV v3 which is a different one, not based on the PX4 and not compatible with it. You should order AUAV-X2.

Regards
Thanks, I will check this out.
Dec 26, 2014, 03:32 PM
Made in Germany
Thread OP
Baro foam: Donīt forget to put some foam (black hi density) above the BARO sensor .This helps against light and prop wash impacts, affecting ALT Hold (ATTI)

Anti vibration measures : Foam Pads like 3DR is using, Moon Gel or HK pads, lead to low vibration impacts decoupling the X2 from frame. Note, that there are several ways to do this, depending on frame type,resonance frequencies. The BumbleBee frame and the F450 frame were ok with 5mm foam pads by 3DR.

Case : Candy Box as case on BumbleBee Frame. Its a good idea to add some holes above the STM32F427 and below the SD Card slot (which acts as a heatsink)

Another case, printed by http://www.trinckle.com/ , based on .STL files, the dev Nick Arsov is supplying by mail.

F450 mount: Check the foam pads.

Fits well:

Low vibrations (Position Hold @ 5-10m/s):

@kd4gfy: As I already mentioned, the names are pretty confusing. And its true, if you donīt want to use MatrixPilot, but Arducopter with MissionPlanner, the younger mini PIXHAWK X2 is the correct choice.

Still, for a compatible PIXHAWK derivate, flying very well (no difference to any other PIXHAWK, RTFHAWK or FIXHAWK ), 130$ still is a bargain.
Smaller size, no need for special connectors...and US shipping.
Dec 27, 2014, 03:26 AM
Imo, the board is too small and has too much rigid connectivity, to benefit from any vibration absorption system. Vibration will find their way through wires.
The only effective way I see is to place the FC on a damped plate, together with the battery, and let wires long enough to have some elasticity. And remove all unused duplicate wires, like any ground and power leads.

Well, I want neighbourhood shipping offer
Dec 27, 2014, 05:50 AM
Made in Germany
Thread OP
Vibration damping ? Just take a look at the log above. Great for this F450. (Stock 2212 Motors/ 1038 Props) I honestly doubt that youīll get better results with your idea. But I am using flexible silicon cables.
Dec 27, 2014, 02:09 PM
Subliminal User
Currently out of stock. Anyone have an idea of when it'll be in stock again? Really want to pick one or a couple up.

https://store.auav.co/index.php/arso...topilot-9.html

Quick Reply