Dyeing your nylon standoffs for bling factor - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by MassiveOverkill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 14, 2014, 08:30 AM
Discussion

Dyeing your nylon standoffs for bling factor

This going to be a short but sweet one.

Dying Dyeing nylon parts is nothing new and there are plenty of YT vids out there on how to do this but some of you new to the RC hobby may not have heard of it before. An added benefit of boiling your nylon parts to dye them is that it makes them stronger\more flexible as Nylon can dry out.

The only drawback is that the nylon may swell a little bit, which could be good in some cases as the thread tapping job on some of these standoffs leaves them with loose clearances. In addition you don't want to use too much heat as you can warp the nylon. Finally be ready to clean up any overspill as the dye can do its job too well and dye your hands, white sink, clothes, etc.

To dye your Nylon parts you can use RIT, food coloring, or my cheapest solution: a $.29 pack of Kool Aid (I used sugar free as it should be less messy\sticky):

Green Apple is what I used but you can probably find flourescent green if you look hard enough and may have better success of finding whatever color you want as a food color dye.

I brought a pot of water up to boil, dumped the KoolAid in and then removed the pan from the burner and waited a minute for the water to cool down a little bit to prevent warping while stirring the mixture.

I then put the nylon parts into a strainer and the dunked the strainer into the pot agitating it every so often. I left the parts in there and let the batch cool naturally to room temperature and then pulled the strainer and rinsed the parts.

The results:

You can buy nylon standoffs in black and other places sell other various colors and those probably will come out looking deeper\richer in color. We'll probably sell them too but if you like the results you see in my attempt you can DIY on the cheap.
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Nov 18, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2014, 11:10 AM
Apprentice Hex
That's awesome Gonna have to give this a try!
Nov 15, 2014, 09:16 PM
GOT WINGS
Thanks for posting this MO. I had seen something about it once or twice before but forgotten it and I don't think there were that good of instructions. So I decided that I wanted to try it, and was going to my local small town walmart. Only problem - minimal selection of koolaid and Rit dyes, I wanted close to the color you pictured and yellow, none in the store. Then I remembered I had some acrylic paints in the right colors, so decided to try those. Sadly, it did not work, a little change in colors, but not really a very good job. Not even worth a picture. Oh well, will have to wait til the next time I get to the bigger city.
Oh, another question: if I give the koolaid to my kids, can I make them poop any color I want? Really, makes me wonder about the effects.
Nov 17, 2014, 08:38 AM
Team WarpSquad
That's pretty sweet MO!!
Nov 17, 2014, 08:58 AM
You're welcome guys! Just remember SF, that when you pee, you have to account for the yellow color, so if you drink blue, your pee should come out green
Nov 18, 2014, 10:17 PM
GOT WINGS
So I have been trying for about 4 days now to bling out my nylon parts. Acrylic paint did not work. I got some green apple koolaid yesterday and tried it last night, did not seem to do that much after I let it cool down for a couple of hours, but I left it sitting for about 24 hours and got the results I wanted. Those are the parts on the left in the picture. Today I got some food coloring and tried for yellow, those are the parts in the center. Also got some RIT dye, results on the right in the picture. Rit dye worked faster, but not much choice in shades of green. Anyway, my conclusion is it works, but may not be quite as simple as it sounds to get it the way you want it.
Nov 19, 2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks for sharing SF, when I went to Wally World yesterday they had neon food coloring. I think it was for cake dyeing. I was about to pick it up but I wanted to see if they had neon green seperately, which after some googling, seems you have to buy the kit.
Jan 13, 2015, 08:27 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
http://store.ritstudio.com/professio...lb-neon-green/

Also my reading suggests that temp and time influence the color result.
Mar 14, 2015, 08:46 AM
Everyone must have there own preference when it comes to metal hardware and standoffs on these mini quads. I'm new to multirotors and will be building a ZMR250 and was wondering what the best choice regarding nylon hardware would/should be? I'll be using the Nucleous PDB so in order to protect that upgrade I'm thinking at the very least nylon standoffs would be a must.

Thanks,
RT
Mar 18, 2015, 10:31 AM
Fly Low Fly Fast
Nylon standoffs, but with metal screws - the long screws. You want the extra threads to hold onto the nylon standoffs in case of impacts. If you use nylon screws and standoffs, expect your top plate to separate on impact, I know from experience. After going with the longer metal screws, my lid stays on.
Nov 26, 2015, 03:03 PM
Quad Owners Do It 4 x Better
These are the standoffs I dyed this week with orange kool aid. Not nearly as cool as the green ones from the op but pretty good and they smell nice too.

Added some home dyed green dyed standoffs,

Last edited by MicroFantastik; Feb 13, 2016 at 09:49 AM.
Nov 30, 2015, 12:30 PM
Looks good!
Dec 01, 2015, 04:02 AM
Quad Owners Do It 4 x Better
Thanks.