DJI Inspire1 Quad Copter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

DJI Inspire1 Quad Copter

DJI Announces their newest product

Splash

Setting a New Bar in Aerial Filming

On November 12th DJI held a live streaming press conference to announce their latest product, the Inspire1 quad copter. Mythbusters Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman were there and came on stage briefly to talk about their experiences in robotics and using drones on the show. The Inspire1 was introduced with a video that transitioned to a live HD view of the event from above as the Inspire1 flew into the venue.

The Inspire1 is a new fresh take on quad copters that is designed for ease of use and creativity when filming or taking photos from the air. Instead of having retractable landing gear, the motors are actually attached to the landing gear and the entire boom assembly raises up out of the way that of the camera underneath to have an unobstructed view of the world in 360 degrees. Speaking of the camera, it is an integrated 4K camera that shoots at 24-30 frames per second and can take 12MP photos with support for Adobe's DNG Raw files. Some may not like that the camera is integrated, but it is modular allowing users to replace it later on.

Some notable features are that it includes DJI's Lightbridge system for HD video downlink and control of the copter, dual or single operator modes, Sonic sensors that will hold the copters position indoors without a GPS signal, an intelligent battery system that tells you how long you can fly and lets you know when you need to return home, Auto takeoff and landings, and Dynamic Home Point that updates the home position based on your ground device. The DJI Inspire1 is going to cost $3399 and is expected to start shipping in early December.

Learn more about the DJI Inspire1 Here.

Nov 13, 2014, 11:18 AM
Flyin' Ryan
Looks amazing. Surely out of my review budget though. lol
Nov 13, 2014, 11:35 AM
What an incredible machine! Sure wish I had $3,000 laying around to buy one!!
Nov 13, 2014, 12:34 PM
Def a gorgeous quad. Maybe someday I can afford one.
Nov 13, 2014, 01:15 PM
Its DJI we will see if it will inspire or be like everything else just something new. So far the videos are only average at best.
Nov 13, 2014, 01:24 PM
I am what I teach
"We here at DJI pride ourselves on doing things in a more complicated and different way for the sake of being different so we can charge you more for it...

We're kinda like Apple on that."
Nov 13, 2014, 01:28 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Ah, cue the naysayers.
Nov 13, 2014, 01:40 PM
I am what I teach
Not naysaying, I'm sure it works well, but it's over-complicated and expensive. DJI spends a lot of time creating solutions to problems that don't exist.

The "smart" battery for example: Take a $40 battery with a $5 monitor and put it in a flashy plastic case with some colored lights an then charge $150 - $200

Why use a basic set of retracting struts when you can double the moving parts and make it part of the flight system?

I'm sure DJI will find a sucker sell every one they make but there are plenty of sayings in the world about people and money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman
Ah, cue the naysayers.
Nov 13, 2014, 01:42 PM
Destroyer of airframes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead571
Def a gorgeous quad. Maybe someday I can afford one.
Wait 6 months and the price will be half of what it is now, as soon as the rumors of Inspire 2 start the price on the series 1 will come WAY down...
Nov 13, 2014, 01:46 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren
Not naysaying...
LOL, I think you might not understand that word then, since everything you said after that is naysaying.
Nov 13, 2014, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Not naysaying, I'm sure it works well, but it's over-complicated and expensive. DJI spends a lot of time creating solutions to problems that don't exist.
That is totally weird, because that sounds exactly like naysaying.

Quote:
The "smart" battery for example: Take a $40 battery with a $5 monitor and put it in a flashy plastic case with some colored lights an then charge $150 - $200
The battery does solve a few problems. It solves this problem:

And it solves this problem:

The cost is a bit unpleasant, but looking at it from the outside world from the POV of a normal person (and not someone who is already neck deep in RC legacy-think), what the system offers in its entirety is compelling. Which is the bigger market? People who fly RC, or people who don't?

Quote:
Why use a basic set of retracting struts when you can double the moving parts and make it part of the flight system?
Why use a set of retracting struts instead of just retracting the camera itself?
Nov 13, 2014, 03:10 PM
Quote:

I'm sure DJI will find a sucker sell every one they make but there are plenty of sayings in the world about people and money...

DJI is the Apple of the RC world, right down the making of new products before addressing issues with old products. That's really the best way to sum it up.
Nov 13, 2014, 03:18 PM
Feel free to join DJI Inspire Owners on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJIInspireOwners/
Nov 13, 2014, 03:20 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez
DJI is the Apple of the RC world, right down the making of new products before addressing issues with old products. That's really the best way to sum it up.
Right, cause Microsoft/Android/Whatever totally fixes all their old products to 100% perfection before making a new product?

Let's try to keep the pointless hating of completely unrelated products/companies out of this.
Nov 13, 2014, 04:42 PM
the best laid plans.......
dunno what you are saying , windows 7 totally kicked azz ; )

dual lightbridge control is the real interesting part , untehered controls update for the standalone light bridge pleeze,

we know you can do it , we saw it on tv ( well not exactly....)