Thread Tools
Nov 13, 2014, 12:55 AM
Tanks & Multirotors
Build Log

Voodoo Quads VDQ250


I did a quick search but didn't fund much here on this frame! So here's my first thread for my in-progress 250 racer (Also my first ever multirotor!!)

Link for the frame here http://www.voodooquads.com/vdq250-265-quadcopter/

I ordered this after doing a couple week's research on FPV, multirotors and quadcopters in general. Sourced out a bunch of parts on HobbyKing but decided to go with a not as crappy frame. I like the look of the Voodoo frame, it's very tough and has lots of space and attach points for all sorts of gear positioning.

I'm able to fly it without the video gear that I'm still waiting for, and is it ever fun.. sticking to Angle mode now as I was flying over concrete and didn't want to smash it.

Parts list so far:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=55241 - 12A ESC x4

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=55819 - NAZE 32 Flight Controller

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=63063 - Motors
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=63064

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=58252 - Props 2-blade
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=27904 - 3-blade

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...idProduct=9493 - 1.3mAh LiPo

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=46632 - DSM2/X /CPPM Reciever

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=22387 - Crazy bright LED strip (Seriously hurts my eyes)

http://www.voodooquads.com/250mm/ - Frame w/ power distribution

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...eiver-Kit.html - Video Tx/Rx (free shipping)
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...d-Receive.html - Antennas (free shipping)

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...PV-Camera.html - FPV Camera. I spent an hour or more watching reviews, reading and looking up compatibility and everything points to this camera as the holy grail of 250mm drones

Also ordered a power filter for FPV gear & a Mobius cam



This is my first FPV/Multi build so input and advice is encouraged and appreciated!











Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2014, 07:26 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
Nice build. I'm thinking about one of these and I would go with the very same motors. I've used them on a spider hex and they are great. Do you have any flight time with the 3 bladed props? Any comparisons of flight time against the two blade? I was thinking about going with the 265 version and 6" props. What do you think?
Nov 16, 2014, 05:04 PM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar
I got one of these myself. Just a few tuning flights and was impressed at how stable it was. I have a Flip32 board and the recommended motors and ESC's. Can't wait to tune the pids. They are real soft at default settings.
Nov 16, 2014, 05:50 PM
Tanks & Multirotors
No flight time on the 3-blades but I'll be trying that out today asap. I'm expecting shorter flight times so for now the Gemfan 5x3s are probably ideal. Too bad this frame won't take 6 inch props.

I just got my Mobius and FPV cam installed so it's closer to it's total weight. A bit of a pig at 540 grams atm, but I'll get a better weight on a higher quality scale tonight. That's without the video TX installed.

Voodoo is hinting at a carbon fibre release, that'd be nice. I get the feeling this frame is a big porky for what it is, but I like how strong and sleek it looks & feels.
Nov 16, 2014, 08:43 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
I ordered the 265mm version which does take 6" props. I'm probably going with 2206 2000kv motors and 6x45 props which is a combo I've used previously and had fantastic power. I'm also going to figure out a way to use a 2200mah battery and think I have an idea but I'll know better when I get the frame.
Nov 17, 2014, 07:52 AM
Tanks & Multirotors
Voodoo has a 265? I didn't see anything like that last I checked :\

I got a few flights in with the FC 5x3x4.5 props, and while they fly fine I got an average 'lazy' flight of about 4min30secs... bleh. And that's taking down a 1300mah to it's limits too, I was recharging 1200-1250 back into them.

I think I'll stick to 5x3 Gemfans for now.

AUG of about 525g right now, including LED bar excluding video TX.
Nov 17, 2014, 05:49 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
So this is what I'm thinking for my build. 265mm frame, Cobra 2208 2000kv, 6x45 props, 3s 2200mah.

Those motors on those props running 3s will produce 720g per motor of thrust. My build will probably be in the neighborhood of ~750g. That's a 3.8:1 power to weight ratio. I was thinking of going 4s, which can be done with these motors, but I think it would be too much and might produce sync problems although I haven't researched it yet.
Nov 17, 2014, 05:50 PM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato50
Voodoo has a 265? I didn't see anything like that last I checked :\

I got a few flights in with the FC 5x3x4.5 props, and while they fly fine I got an average 'lazy' flight of about 4min30secs... bleh. And that's taking down a 1300mah to it's limits too, I was recharging 1200-1250 back into them.

I think I'll stick to 5x3 Gemfans for now.

AUG of about 525g right now, including LED bar excluding video TX.
If you want more thrust without a big flight time penalty try the HQ 5x45 props. You will be amazed at how much more thrust you get. Attached are the same props except I cut them down myself.
Nov 18, 2014, 01:27 AM
Tanks & Multirotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyoung
So this is what I'm thinking for my build. 265mm frame, Cobra 2208 2000kv, 6x45 props, 3s 2200mah.

Those motors on those props running 3s will produce 720g per motor of thrust. My build will probably be in the neighborhood of ~750g. That's a 3.8:1 power to weight ratio. I was thinking of going 4s, which can be done with these motors, but I think it would be too much and might produce sync problems although I haven't researched it yet.
Yea I like the HQ props but I'm happy with the abundance of Gemfans while I'm still bumping into things at a regular weight. They do look like a good balance of power & durability though.

I just noticed earlier today that they now offer the 265mm on the Voodooquads website, it's an optional lower frame. Looks brand new, I don't think there are pictures yet.


That build will be powerful. 4S might give the props a workout even with 6 inchers, they're on the brink of feathering on 3S high-KV motors already.
Nov 18, 2014, 06:50 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato50
Yea I like the HQ props but I'm happy with the abundance of Gemfans while I'm still bumping into things at a regular weight. They do look like a good balance of power & durability though.

I just noticed earlier today that they now offer the 265mm on the Voodooquads website, it's an optional lower frame. Looks brand new, I don't think there are pictures yet.


That build will be powerful. 4S might give the props a workout even with 6 inchers, they're on the brink of feathering on 3S high-KV motors already.
The 6x45 props are much stiffer than 5x3s.
Nov 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
Registered User
throttleback's Avatar
hey guys i really like this quad to been looking for a thread on it should see if you can move it to mini mutirotors .
Nov 23, 2014, 07:49 AM
Registered User
ducatirdr's Avatar

Here is a video I took yesterday from my Voodoo 250


Mobius action from my Voodoo Quads 250 yesterday in the wind. I think I may put on some carbon props today and see if I get a little bit better pull out.

The wind had me bash the thing around and boy does it take abuse! Be sure to set it to HD when you watch.


Voodoo 250 Mobius Camera (6 min 5 sec)
Nov 23, 2014, 08:58 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
I got my frame a few days ago and I really love it. The 265mm version actually measures 280mm but it is perfectly symmetrical. I decided to go with the Cobra 2208 2000kv motors and obviously 6x45 props. I've been doing some calculating and I'm expecting this quad to have an AUW of about 800g maybe a little more. You may be thinking wow that's heavy but on 3s I'm getting about 620g of thrust at full throttle. That's a 3.1:1 power to weight ratio. If I go much over 800g I will probably go with a 4s. On 4s I was getting conservatively about 850g of thrust for a PtW ratio of 4:1. These Cobras really have some torque.

I've built numerous minis and the one thing I've found is that a little extra mass provides better wind resistance, better stability (no so jerky) and smoother flight as long as you have the drive system to power it. This will also be my first use of a Minim OSD running MWOSD firmware.
Nov 23, 2014, 09:55 AM
Gyro, SimonK n call it a day:)
lockwood's Avatar
The voodoo frame definitely has the looks but their is probably 30 or so other frames on the market that are a better buy IMO. 110$ for a mini G10 frame seems steep, and 50$ to replace the bottom plate every time an arm is broken has got to get old quickly. My 2c
Nov 23, 2014, 11:31 AM
Tr3TopFlyer
chyoung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwood
The voodoo frame definitely has the looks but their is probably 30 or so other frames on the market that are a better buy IMO. 110$ for a mini G10 frame seems steep, and 50$ to replace the bottom plate every time an arm is broken has got to get old quickly. My 2c
I actually thought it was a good value and there was no up-charge for the larger size. If you compare it to something like a Xhover MXP 230 which is a very similar construction, it's $129. QAV250 G10 same price. There is so much cost that goes into the building of something like this that whether a frame is $20 more or $20 less seems insignificant to me. I'm not too worried about breaking the bottom plate on this. It's quite substantial. I love the styling.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Voodoo Quads VDQ250 V2 Bottom Plate banq Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Oct 19, 2016 02:28 PM
Sold Voodoo Quads VDQ250 V2 Bottom Plate banq Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Sep 28, 2016 05:31 PM
For Sale VooDoo Quads VDQ250 V2 Race Edition Flsurfer7 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 1 Apr 26, 2016 06:58 PM
Sold RTF VooDoo Quads VDQ250 V2 Race Edition IceKold Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Mar 04, 2016 08:40 PM
Sold Voodoo Quad VDQ250 BNF deaddant Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 5 Mar 03, 2016 11:43 PM