JTM VIPER 120 & XxX SPORT JET 120 build & setup thread - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 10, 2014, 06:16 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Discussion

JTM VIPER 120 & XxX SPORT JET 120 build & setup thread

Hey guys, I am starting this thread because JTM want dealers to post up info and build information on their jets in collaboration. JTM are trying to support each country area so as to avoid competition issues so any JTM dealer feel free to post up builds, ideas, products you have found work really well in the models.

And of course number one is customer builds and what you guys have used in your jets! I think this info is the most important of all, as there needs to be a place where new owners can come and see what others have used in their builds.

Its a big commitment to build a jet this size and none of us want to make mistakes or buy a part that's not going to do the job, me included!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2014, 07:45 PM
California Style
please , can we have a non competitive review of the products and the aftermarket goodies to help us build a better JTM xXx.

all I wanted to know about was retracts, 40yrs of flying but retract dumb.

Thanks BillyD for all your support and we will be doing business again
Nov 10, 2014, 07:52 PM
The reason the thread has been started is so we can have full collaboration of JTM products and the parts used in them by flyers around the world.

I don't know BillyD, never spoken to him and certainly never judged him before he started in on me. These are not his models, they are everyones, so please don't make the first post all about praising a dealer for selling you stuff
Nov 10, 2014, 11:43 PM
Im sorry that bd sees this competitively. That was never the case. Anyway. Imho the stock retracts work fine now. Ofcourse im inexperienced as concerned grass fields since we all fly off pavement here and the stock struts are not trailing link. The ones that kchen posted are the same as the jtm ones but witha different colouring on the motor casing
Nov 11, 2014, 12:27 AM
California Style
I didn't like the mod needed for clearance on the struts from JTM. the TJ struts look easy to install with no mods.
Nov 11, 2014, 01:28 AM
Airboss look forward to your maiden video! A max amp of 98A is fantastic. Combining that with a 6600 pack should give you great flight time. Please do share your entire setup info after your successful maiden. Good luck.

Kevin
Nov 11, 2014, 04:34 AM
I would love to see some closeup photos of various retract installs, a customer here is fitting my retracts and said they sat up slightly proud of the wing surface on the stock rails, now the plates don't seem to be much thicker than the JTM ones so do the JTM also sit slightly proud of the wing surface?

Grass can be a real killer of undercarriage, unless you walk your strip all the time with a magnifying glass to look for holes etc you need to make things strong!
Nov 11, 2014, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC
I would love to see some closeup photos of various retract installs, a customer here is fitting my retracts and said they sat up slightly proud of the wing surface on the stock rails, now the plates don't seem to be much thicker than the JTM ones so do the JTM also sit slightly proud of the wing surface?

Grass can be a real killer of undercarriage, unless you walk your strip all the time with a magnifying glass to look for holes etc you need to make things strong!
Hi Mark, sorry for being an ignorant American but can you explain what you mean by "sitting slightly proud of the wing surface"?

Kevin
Nov 11, 2014, 04:58 AM
LOL, what I mean is the actual retract mounting tabs are about a mm or so too thick so they stick up above the wings outer surface when dropped into place on the rails. I am gonna have to pull one of my wings out and try it myself and photo it aren't I! hehe
Nov 11, 2014, 05:50 AM
I installed Electrons in my large Viper. Had exactly the same problem. I made a jig and used a router to take about 1 mm or so off the rails. Real pain in the bum to do. But worth it in the long run.

Chris
Nov 11, 2014, 08:32 AM
I have Electrons in my xXx, and I had to grind off the fiberglass part of the rails in the wings to get them to sit below the surface. I also have Pro-Link struts that have been shortened to fit, I have included a couple of pics of my setup.
Nov 11, 2014, 11:20 AM
with the permission of Extreme_RC always I can recommend a Turbine Conversion kit for for the ViperJet.
Especially for European countries
Nov 11, 2014, 11:24 AM
California Style
the JTM electrics do not need any mods to fit and they don't protrude (proud) above the surface of the wings. this is why I have been asking about retracts.

Kevin, thanks. the XXX will be airborn soon .I am having difficulty today finding my video man but we got new plans for thursday
Nov 11, 2014, 11:39 AM
that's nice. the JTM electric will work just fine. But.. make sure you lubricate them once a while with Silicone spray. they help the motor and the screw to move the trunion easier and won't let any dust damage the threads
Nov 11, 2014, 01:31 PM
California Style
during assembly I use chapstick lip balm to protect all the jack screw threads and latch assemblies. keeps the Hysol and Epoxy from damaging things.
Last edited by airboss/oc; Nov 11, 2014 at 02:33 PM.