Bubble Dancer #1.5 - The rebuild. - Page 2 - RC Groups
Nov 16, 2014, 06:54 PM
R2R
R2R
Hi Mark,
What servo are you using for the spoiler? I'm building something with a similar single spoiler and was wondering how much torque is needed for that large spoiler.

Allan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2014, 08:32 PM
build what you fly!
Hi Allan,

I used the HS-81 in BD #1 (#1.5 now...) as specified in the plans. It has 36 oz./in. of torque. and a speed of .11 sec.

On BD #2 I kind of went off on my own and used 3 HS-5085MGs - rudder, elevator and spoiler... The 5085s have more torque at 50 oz./in, but are slower at .17 sec.

I like the action on #2s spoiler deployment much better than what I had on #1 - might be due to the slower motion of the servo, who knows... (It just noses over so gently and in control.) However, the downside is that with the servo holding an ever-so-slight pull to keep the spoiler firmly seated, it is always whining.

So I guess the answer is pick your poison, but certainly anything over 36 oz./in. is plenty of power...

Mark

(I'm running all my BDs on 4.8 volts)
Nov 16, 2014, 09:05 PM
R2R
R2R
Thanks for the info, Mark. I have a new HS-81 in my stockpile, so I'll go with that. Will be running 4.8 volts, as well.
Nov 20, 2014, 01:15 PM
build what you fly!
While waiting for the weather to give me a suitably flyable day, I've been doing a few updates to my website.

One of these updates is in response to recent requests for the design drawings of my custom Bubble Dancer fuselage pod. I have included a zip file containing pod outline and shaping template drawings on my Documents page. The file also contains a master svg drawing for those of you with Inkscape who might wish to tweak the drawings to suit your needs.

Mark