Nov 09, 2014, 01:34 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

WLtoys V626 "SKYLARK"

INTRODUCTION

After the V636, a direct clone of the Latrax allias, the V626 is representing the camera version of the V636 by including a simple VGA camera (0.3MP). The V636 is a great flyer very sporty costing the half of the alias' price. We will see if the V626 is sharing the same qualities.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x WLtoys V636 (with a 20.1g 1S 730mAh LiPo )
+ 1 x Transmitter (using 6xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Charger (using JST connector)
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 4 x Props guard
+ 1 x 2gb microSD card
+ 1 x USB microSD reader

(I received a demo model. In my parcel, the Charger and the USD microSD reader were missing)

OVERVIEW

Nice and bright LEDs perfect for night flying

The bottom side now have a "big belly" to welcome both the battery and the VGA module

The microSD card access is a little bit difficult for large hands

Only the lens is exiting

Unfortunatly, the lens orientation is not tunable.

The V636 vs the V626

Without battery, the V626 is scaling

and with

A little bit more than 10cm for length

5 screws to remove to split the bottom part of the shell where the VGA cam is installed

On the upper part, the FC

The upper canopy part

LiPo

The Lipo model is identical to the V636, a 1cell battery 730mAh ending with JST connector

Propellers

Motors

Motors are 8.5mmx20mm like the V636.

They have 2 tiny holes on top used for cooling, but they can unfortunatly collect some dust of plastic residue extracted during main gear rotation. The life of these motors should be relatively short (around 20-40 flights), so it's a good option to order some spare asap.

Motors pods, Shaft and ballbearings

Efficient rubber feet are present

Two ball-bearings are installed (4mmx7mmx2mm) per arm

Flight controler board

Exactly the same reference than for the V636 board

It's not a mini54zan (no bradwii ) but another ARM core HL004. The L883 is the magnetometer/compass for the headless mode. Of course, the invensense 6050C is used for the acceleromters + gyroscopes part

The antenna is not perfectly tuned to 31mm (2.4G)

VGA camera

The VGA camera (640x480) is offering relatively correct video. The frame rate is very good. Of course the Fied of view is quiet narrow (with such lens) and color's fidelity far to be perfect too but in general the camera is not awful.

WLtoys V626 video snapshot (0 min 50 sec)

Transmitter

Headless feature is also included in the new WLtoys model. This function helps beginners and long-range flyers. The orientation is fixed at startup of quadcopter ("homelock"). So it's better to be stand up behind the quadcopter, the rear part facing to you. In this case, when Headless function is engaged, you just need attract the quadcopter with the right stick.

Remember the first version if the V212 with the Drop-out effect. Here, no problem at all, the radio connexion is solid, but I strongly advice to install the quad's antenna vertically (by drilling a small hole in the canopu). With some basic mods, you can extend the control range, 150-200m can be reached.

The left shoulder button is turnin on/off the camera. The right is activating flipping and a fast beep sequence is emmitted until you indicate the direction to flip. The 3 left pannel buttons allow to choose speed mode between 40%, 60% and 80%. The top right pannel button is activating the 100% sport mode. The middle right pannel button is dedicaced to turn on/off the LED lights. Finally, the last right pannel button is activating the headless mode. You have to press more than 1s to activate it. Press it again to disable it. When the headless mode is on, the transmitter is emmitting a slow beep sequence.... I found this point really stressing....

FIRST USAGE

To make short, the V626 is also a great flyer !!!!!! even more, IMHO, they increased the yaw rate compared to the V636. Now funnels are so easy to do. Banking well, very stable.... relatively fast, a pure happyness to fly with especially if you can use a DeviationTX transmitter.
Even with the 10.5g extra gram vs the V636, the V626 still have a good elevation capacity. Flips are great. The headless mode is working even if for me it's very hard to fly with this mode. There is a special calibration procedure to the compass by pressing long the 40% first: hold the V626 parallel to the ground, then turn on yourself 2-3 times, then press long 60% button: hol the V626 noze in direction of the ground and turn on yourself 2-3 times. Flying duration is still good, 6mm with the camera on. Videos taken by the camera is almost jello free.
I didn't observed any DO within a range of 60m, but I advice to install the antenna vertically to optimize wave propagation in the horizontal plan. Thanks to large transparent plastics beneath each arms, LED lights are strongly brighting, ideal for night flying.

CONCLUSIONS

The V626 is a great flyer: smooth controls in 40%-60% modes, sporty and acrobatics for the last rates.....I don't see real defaults exept the potential non-long longivity of motors and no ultra-acrobatic mode by turning off the autostabilization . For the same price of the V636, you can enjoy a relatively good VGA camera. More, if you don't care about this camera, you can use the freeroom to install a tiny FPV setup.

UNBOXING

WLtoys V626 unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Banggood) (11 min 17 sec)

PROS

+ Nice design
+ Quality build
+ Sportive quadcopter
+ Headless function (reference fixed at start up "Homelock")
+ Easy maintenance
+ Very bright LEDs
+ Night flyng capacity
+ Ballbearings (4mmx7mmx2mm)
+ Good flying duration
+ Good range control(advice to install RX antenna vertically)
+ V2x2 protocol compatible so DeviationTX compatible
+ Share many parts with the V636
+ Relatively good VGA camera (good fps)
+ Potentially good FPV candidate (by removing the build-in camera to install the FPV setup)
+ Seems to have slightly faster yaw rate that the V636

CONS

- Holes located on top motor part are collecting dust residues and probably are reducing their life duration
- No specific acrobatic modes (to turn off autostabilization for ex)
- Cut motors below LVC threshold (you have 3-4s to land the quadcopter)
- No HD camera
- No ajustable lens orientation
- MicroSD card difficult to insert for large hands

WLtoys V626 outdoors test and inboard video (Courtesy of Banggood) (10 min 3 sec)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 60 USD at
http://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-V626-2_4G-6-Axis-UFO-RC-Quadcopter-With-Camera-RTF-p-938099.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Nov 12, 2014 at 02:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2014, 01:45 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos, videos and mods
Nov 09, 2014, 08:08 PM
last of the sixties kids..
Interesting little quad there. Thanks for the excellent(as always) review Seb
Nov 10, 2014, 05:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish
Interesting little quad there. Thanks for the excellent(as always) review Seb
Thanks a lot

Yes definitively, nice little quad
Nov 11, 2014, 10:55 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'm curious as to why you find flying the headless mode "very difficult"? I only object to the endless alarm chime on the RTF TX.

I simply use up-wind direction for my initial launch orientation. If I want to use headless I just point my antenna upwind and then the quad follows the directions of the right stick.
Nov 11, 2014, 11:55 AM
@hard line

Look into V636 topics and you will see that nobody has been able to get headless mode to work in it reliably enough. I think we were finally able to figure out how to do the calibration, but still the quad seems to often fly to random direction and not where it is supposed to.

For example I was just flying forward/backward and suddenly the quad went left without any warning. To fly in headless mode becomes much harder if the quad doesn't know where the front is supposed to be.
Nov 11, 2014, 12:14 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Okay, gotcha. I have the HM in a V323 hexa and it seems to work as advertised. But I so seldom use it, maybe I haven't given it adequate opportunities to fail.

The problems I've seen others have is they fail to realize the radio must remain in the original launch orientation for the concept to work. They mistakenly think of it as a type of RTH, which of course it isn't.
Nov 11, 2014, 10:33 PM
Critic at Large
I think headless mode on these will end up making more people lose their quads than without it. It's completely different using it on a quad with neither altitude hold or GPS. You have to pay attention to so many things that it's distracting (IMHO)...

Kudos to those who find it useful, but I'm not going to trust it to save my v636.

Does anyone have a video or drawing of the calibration?

I also find my v636 seems to drift left a lot - resetting (unplug and plug battery, etc.) seems to fix it most of the time.

All in all, a fun little bird and certainly better than the last generation.
Nov 19, 2014, 10:40 AM
cons-
"No specific acrobatic modes (to turn off autostabilization for ex)"

Does the V636 have such a mode or is this con shared with both models ?

And what quadcopters have such a mode ? I assume the Traxxas Alias does, any others ?
Nov 19, 2014, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by semifast
cons-
"No specific acrobatic modes (to turn off autostabilization for ex)"

Does the V636 have such a mode or is this con shared with both models ?

And what quadcopters have such a mode ? I assume the Traxxas Alias does, any others ?
The V636 don't have too ... but I am not sure but the Alias have. With this mode (autoliveling off), you can produce more easily manual flip, but it's harder to fly with
Mar 20, 2015, 08:59 PM

FCB Comparison ??

What visually is the difference between the flight controller pictured above for the V626, and that which was originally placed in the V636?

Thanks
Mar 21, 2015, 02:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERX167
What visually is the difference between the flight controller pictured above for the V626, and that which was originally placed in the V636?

Thanks

I know some V636 (V2) have also the same V626 board ....
Feb 16, 2016, 11:51 PM
will the camera mount bottom section fit onto the V363 chassis ???

Quick Reply