This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 05, 2014, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

X-20 Dyna-Soar with titan booster

I've been wanting to try to adapt my X-20 to a titan booster. Since the X-20 is large and lightly constructed, the booster would have to be light enough and large enough that I could use lower powered rocket motors to keep the speed down so that it wouldn't rip the X-20 apart on boost. I wanted to try a center 29mm motor tube and use depron centering rings, longerons and a 2mm skin. I wanted the all up weight without motor to be 60 oz or so less the glider. For reference 60" of standard 7.5" loc cardboard tube with a coupler weighs 60 ounces.
Lots of photos so read the whole thread to see final construction photos of the booster....
Length will be 108.5" and 8.25" for the booster to be standoff scale with the drawing I have. Ideal motor will be a 29mm H-97 or H115 that have a pretty flat mild thrust curve..

Here we go.

Here is the rocket simulation, and here is my original X-20 that boosts off a rail on E-6 24mm reloads, here is a quick video of it flying.

X-20 Dyna-Soar rocket boosted RC glider Launch Video (0 min 33 sec)

If this all works, the glider will be ejected via a piston that will also pull out the booster chute, and then I'll glide the dynasoar back. If that works ok, I may try doing an air start of the dyna-soar once released.
Last edited by burkefj; Jun 18, 2015 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2014, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Idea is to have the dyna soar guided by carbon rods so needed to add the aluminum tube guides.
4" cup will contain the chute, and the piston to push the glider off.
Nov 05, 2014, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
Ok, major progress.....
Nov 05, 2014, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Making progress on the structure, will hang the altimiter bay below the upper centering ring and make a door to access it.
Nov 05, 2014, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Adding centering rings and stringers.....added the upper 2mm skin.
Nov 05, 2014, 12:58 PM
Thread OP
Completed the rear substructure. Created some jigs to hold the glider parallel to the ground and support the rear so I could align the fins and build fin boxes in depron to surround the fin tabs. I wanted the boxes so I could reinforce those without skin, then add the skin, then cut the fin slots out and add the fins last.....
Also made the fins, two pieces of 6mm depron with a carbon spar glued/taped inbetween.
Nov 05, 2014, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Added the rear skin, cut the fin slots, and started on the upper fairing, lots of cutting paper, trial and fitting since the foam doesn't compound the same as paper.

Weight all loaded is 59 ounces.
Nov 09, 2014, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
Here is the rest of the progress, added a hatch with magnets for the altimiter, made a new X-20 with slightly reduced cant on the outboard stabilizers. I extended the skirt of the glider to fair into the transition a bit better too. I also used 2mm skin and came out 1/2 ounce lighter than the original. 9 oz rtf for the booster with no motor.

Started to add some custom self adhesive vinyl markings I had left over from a titan II rocket I was building.

All up weight without rocket motor is 66 ounces.
Last edited by burkefj; Jun 18, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Dec 02, 2014, 08:32 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Any updates on this one?

-A
Latest blog entry: Star Wars A-Wing Submarine
Dec 02, 2014, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
I've flown the dynasoar and have it trimmed for boost and glide by itself, the stack is ready to go but has to wait till spring to have a soft field to fly it and have enough room if it goes wonky on boost.

frank

QUOTE=AJWoods;30098837]Any updates on this one?

-A[/QUOTE]
Dec 02, 2014, 08:47 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Thanks! Really like what you're doing with light rocket construction.

-Adam
Jun 16, 2015, 01:19 PM
Thread OP
Here is the successful maiden flight on an H-97

Titan II Highpower Rocket with Dyna-Soar RC glider flight (1 min 37 sec)
Jun 16, 2015, 04:24 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Wow!
Jun 16, 2015, 06:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
VERY nice!!!

And... on your blog... I see you have an RC version of the Estes "Interceptor". Here is a picture of my original 1970 Interceptor. It is in a little bit rough shape, but I have just found out Estes still has the nose cone, and everything else is there, so if I can get a set of the original decals, I can rebuild it for show anyway...

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jun 16, 2015, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
Try here:

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/pro...id_product=295

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
VERY nice!!!

And... on your blog... I see you have an RC version of the Estes "Interceptor". Here is a picture of my original 1970 Interceptor. It is in a little bit rough shape, but I have just found out Estes still has the nose cone, and everything else is there, so if I can get a set of the original decals, I can rebuild it for show anyway...

SteveT.

Quick Reply