No probs Sundogz, hope to see you with a drive soon,
but it looks like a big chill has decended on the states,,
no pond fun for a while :0(
I've posted abit of a silly vid, but it shows the motor spinnin abit quicker,
with a different prop,,
Hope all is Good and thanks,,
Mark..

Hi chs51
the drives I make could be used for scale boats, but are best suited for extream punishment and high speeds,
I would suggest 2 x kmb units would be the best way to go, good speed and they have a rubber coupler which is very quiet
Here's a funny-ish vid of one of my drives pushing a bit of a wieght
Hope all is well,,
Mark...

Jet dinghy march 2014 (5 min 51 sec)

Hi Dave
Hope you're Rockin
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2014, 11:00 PM
Platinum Card Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs51
If I wanted to put two of these in a 32 inch PBR hull, I'm assuming I would have more than enough power to create scale speeds? What motors/ESC's would you recommend?
I probably shouldn't speculate, but if by scale speed you mean slower (let's say Marks boat looks to be easily going 180+ 'scale' KM/H) you could probably do that with 28mm long can inrunners in the 2600kv range on 3S or 2000kv on 4S (preferred). 60A esc's would do the trick. Maybe 4000ma 50C lipos. This is just hypothetical, but that's where I'd start.

Mark, that looks like a lot of fun! Yep, that motor is winding up crazy high when unloaded. Kinda adds to the effect! Another cool video
Nov 16, 2014, 08:00 PM
big one.
Nov 20, 2014, 06:17 PM
Hi Mark, have you tried any sort of intake grate (screen) on this jet?
Nov 23, 2014, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Thanks a bunch Sundogz,, I think the motor scream made me freeze for a mo,
the boat nearly cipped me a couple of times,, but I'm abit wiser to it now,,
hope you are well sir
Mark

Bigger one, Bigger one !! lol.
Hi Dave
I'm just one loon workin out of shed in manchester,,,
but it's well up there on to-do list,,,
and you know me,,
I make shed happen,,,lmao...,,,
hope all is Rockin Bro,,
Mark...

Hi Mike
it looks like things are all good,,,

with regarding a grill,, weighing up the pros and cons I found they have little gain and a good bit ov pain,, one of which is if somthing like a plastic bag, fishing line or some long bladed leaves like iris, get wrapped around the prop shaft, too quick to react to,
it can drag some grills in with it, and cause more if not all the damage, to have a grill strong enough to deal with "this" drive would kill any performance, the grill also make it hard to access the shaft to clean it if you do get a wrap round, my drive are quite good with bits of leave and pond weed,, as they tend to get chopped up and spat out with a chug on the throttle,, rivers are very clean runs, and ponds tend to have a scummy and clean side depending on the wind,, the killer for any drive is stones big or small,, and shallow gravel beds in rivers are the things of nightmares,,,,
Hope you are well Mike,,
Mark..
Nov 23, 2014, 06:01 PM
i eagerly await

in the mean time, im gonna try and make my own big one... if the initial research doesnt leave me completely baffled and confused haha

thanks for keeping it on the to-do list.

just a quick question... if you were to make a pump to power a 15-20 pounder 36" long, 14" wide monohull up to about 30mph... what diameter duct / impellor would you start with? any clues would be a great start but i understand if you cant share

thanks!

-david
Nov 24, 2014, 03:47 PM
Hi Mark, Got a big surprise at the post office this morning. It's here! . That was faster than fast shipping. I quickly tore into the box and was amazed at your attention to detail. The boat she is very very nice, motor, servo, installed and ready, battery harnesses, cooling lines, ready to go and a small pad where I will put my esc. Then opened the included plastic bag to find a whole roll of hatch tape, hex wrenches, grease syringe, screws, spare stator bushing and impellor. I would call it very complete. When I started bidding on the jet I had no Idea you where going to include all the stuff and labor you have. You have a very happy customer, Thank you very much . Also thanks for the KMB impellor from the looks, it will make a difference. -----------------------Mike
Nov 25, 2014, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
Hi Mike
Fantastic news,, so glad you like it,,
She did get there quick sticks, and caught me out abit to,,
I'll get a vid posted up for you, on how I dress the props for the river,,
only takes a mo,
there's a new rubber washer behind the thrust bearing that needs a little wearing in, it will loosen up after a run or two,,
the blue colour change finish should look supa in your sunshine
Hope to see her running and jumpin with the salmon soon mate,,
all the very best,,
Mark..
Nov 28, 2014, 03:55 PM
gonna sell anymore jet units?

wondering if 2 of these would do the trick for a bigger, heavier boat... daydreaming, you know? lol

-david
Nov 28, 2014, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
Hi Dave
sorry for the slow reply,, I think I have an ulser,,
too much fun i fear,,
Thats quite alot of wieght 15-20lb s,, alot of enertia to overcome,
you would need a wide jet to get it to move quick from a standing start,
I'd go for one large unit one at 40mm plus,, but I've not made them yet
not sure how funky the other drives are,, but the bigger ones do look abit slugish,,
not sure if it's an optical illusion just because there in bigger boats,,,
hope you are Rockin Bud
Mark..
Nov 29, 2014, 03:59 PM
thanks Youngsta, thats what i kinda figured, somewhere between 40 and 60mm... pretty intimidating though to start a design from scratch; i will if i have to lol

also, i shot you another PM

thanks

-david
Nov 30, 2014, 10:40 AM
Platinum Card Member
David, if you are serious about that project, I have a (new) spare Gravitix D50 49mm jet drive that will handle it. http://www.rcnz.com/Shop/Service/Det...se_Bucket.html . It is the one on the right. Left is an NQD drive, the middle is a 40mm KMB Powerjet (no longer made) just for size comparison. It has a reverse bucket and spare impelllers with 3,4,and 5 blades. PM me if you are interested.

Mark, I surely didn't mean to hijack your thread! Just trying to help out.
Last edited by sundogz; Nov 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Nov 30, 2014, 04:20 PM
sundogz, PM sent, thanks!

youngsta,
how big is the hull you make for your 28mm jet unit? and about how much is your ready to sail weight?

-david
Dec 01, 2014, 06:53 AM
Thread OP
Hi David
Replied to the pm,,
boat 23" plus 2" protector,, total 25"
weight about 2Kg with batts,,,
Quick vid of some bits of the latest runs,,
turnigy 120 marine,, the new one with programing card...
all the best,,
Mark..
120 esc river test. (5 min 9 sec)
Dec 01, 2014, 07:01 AM
Thread OP
Hi Sundogz,,
the more the merrier bud..
anything to promote the great fun of jetting,,
I love it all,, hope to make a biggy soon myself,,
I trust you are in fair fettle mate,,
Mark..

Quick Reply