Nov 03, 2014, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RCG's Classic Image Gallery update A - Z planes updated

I really have missed the Trenton Classic Pattern Plane Image Base and the idea of starting another one has been chewed on but no results. Having it here seem like the best place that we wouldn't have to depend on a small privately owned website that could disappear as did the whole Trenton website

I really love these planes and wanted to contribute in a way that would help in identifying the planes and helping the RCG Classic Pattern section generate some more traffic.

I was able to salvage the Classic Pattern Plane List that Casniffer put together and converted it to a PDF as well as an Excel spreadsheet. He combined all the legal SPA planes with the Classic Pattern Planes listed on the site for a total 594 entrys.

Some of the planes were listed twice due to different manufacturers. I will post the pdf so it will be available to everyone. You can use it as a guide for finding pics planes that I didn't put in the Gallery.

I collected a lot of the Pictures from the Trenton site but it was just a scratch of what was there.

I'm leaving the thread closed to keep the Gallery in alphabetical order. Before I start on the B named planes Album I wanted to ask if anyone had Classic Pattern Plane pics that started with the letter A that I could add to the A section.

Email them to me at [email protected] with a small description of the plane and I'll include it ain the A section. I'll give 2 weeks before I start on the Planes that begin with the letter B .

Please only send me Classic Pattern planes that start with the letter A if you want it included.

Bryan

PS this is gona take a while but I'll do my best to include as many planes as I can.

U can also post the A planes here if you want. I'll start a new thread for B named planes in two weeks or early depending on how many I get.
Last edited by Roguedog; Dec 28, 2014 at 04:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2014, 04:20 PM
Nice work Bryan. I have a number of my aircraft pictures in the original database. When you get done the top of the first page will have links to all the pages A through Z?

Mike
Last edited by Jet_Flyer; Nov 03, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
Nov 03, 2014, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Mike,

I plan to breakup the Gallery's into multiple posts depending on how many pictures etc.

To answer your question. Yes, as the Gallery grows the Gallery links A, AR, AT,B. C, D, etc. will stretch across the top of each post not just the top. I can't get it to replace the current window with the link destination page so it will just open the link up in to a new window. If somebody knows the codes to do that or how to do that it here on RCGroups it would be really cool because you could use the web browsers "Back" button to get back to where you started from. Otherwise it will be similar to the Trenton site at least in that respect.

If you have those pictures email them to me and I'll add them to the appropriate section. I'd like to finish the "A" Gallery before starting on the "B" Gallery so I don't have to go back to it and continually update them while adding the next sections.

Thanks again.
Bryan
Nov 03, 2014, 08:06 PM
Bryan,

If it becomes more than one gallery then won't they get scattered between other post and hard to find? Seems like A though Z should be all the same gallery and then use the links to navigate. I know that would be one huge gallery but they would stay together. There will always be a problem trying to add new aircraft too.

Mike
Nov 03, 2014, 08:09 PM
Bryan,

Maybe each alphabet letter section should have a few blank pictures so you could go back latter and add pictures where the blank pictures were.

Mike
Nov 03, 2014, 08:13 PM
Bryan,

After looking at it more I see that you can go back and add pictures to a individual alphabet letter. What a massive job, and thankful that you are doing it here on RCG.

Mike
Nov 03, 2014, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
Bryan,

After looking at it more I see that you can go back and add pictures to a individual alphabet letter. What a massive job, and thankful that you are doing it here on RCG.

Mike
Mike,

Yes I can add pictures for a time, At some point in the future posts in the thread become locked and you can't edit them anymore. That's the main reason I asked any and all "A" named planes.

As far as one huge Gallery I was trying to determine what would be the best way to sub-divide the whole Gallery. I thought about calling the separate posts something like "Volume A to AR" but went with Gallery thinking alone the lines of if you were in an Art Gallery there'd be different Gallery's in different rooms of the whole Art Gallery building. Nothings set in stone as far as any of what I'm doing and I'm completely open to suggestions. I mean you could also name them like a Volume of Encyclopedias Vol A-AR, Vol AS-B, etc.

Anyway it is a huge undertaking non the less. I really didn't want it at a site owned by a single individual or at a small site that could restrict it to members only. So I thought I could at least get it started here. Seems the best way to play it forward. Anyone can come and look at the Gallery at RCGroups whether you logged in or not.

Regards,
Bryan
Nov 03, 2014, 09:05 PM
KC4JAJ
Bryan,

I recently found some pictures of my Atlanta. I'll get them scanned and post them soon. I also ave some excellent recent photos of a nimber of the more popular current SPA planes. I'll post them as they come up.

Jim Johns
Nov 03, 2014, 10:13 PM
Bryan,

Here is something that may help. The pictures are gone on most..... but atleast you have the names.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130328...n/patterna.htm
Nov 03, 2014, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc
Bryan,

I recently found some pictures of my Atlanta. I'll get them scanned and post them soon. I also ave some excellent recent photos of a nimber of the more popular current SPA planes. I'll post them as they come up.

Jim Johns
Jim,

Cool! Thanks a lot. The more the merrier as the saying goes. Unlike the Trenton Flyers website I'm thinking RCG will welcome as many pictures that can be stuffed in the thread. Hopefully RCG doesn't have a limit.

Casniffer included the SPA planes in the Classic Pattern Plane List he did on the Trenton Flyers site but I'm not sure he included them in the Image Base. I'm including them because it just seems like the right thing to do as they were competition planes and that makes them Classics in my view.

You can email them to me at [email protected] or post them here. If you email them to me I can size them for the maximum allowable postable size so you get a larger pic when you click on the thumbnail.

Keep em coming.
Regards,

Bryan
Nov 03, 2014, 11:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiporare
Bryan,

Here is something that may help. The pictures are gone on most..... but atleast you have the names.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130328...n/patterna.htm
tiporare,

Thanks the link. It just sucked that the wayback machine only grabs the most looked at picture when it crawls a thread.

If you go back to post #1 above Casniffer was kind enough to create a list very thorough list of Classic Pattern Planes. I can't thank the guy enough for all the hard work he did compiling the Image Base and the list. Anyway in post #1 I was able to extract His Classic Pattern Plane list from the Trenton Website while it was still active and convert it to a pdf that you can download and also to a coma delimited data base file that I imported into Excel. His list had 594 Classic Pattern Plane and SPA entrys.

It's quite a list. It lists more than the Plane names. Included info is Designer, Engine, Wingspan, Length, Wing Area, Weight, Circa, and if kitted of was from Plans and links to plans or build threads.

If you have any pics that you want in the gallery post them here with some details about it, like if its your plane, when built, where takem, whatever you think you'd like to see under the pic in the Gallery. I will try to include all I can so it represents what you include for info.

Regards,
Bryan
Nov 04, 2014, 08:43 AM
Bryan,

I did a test and it looks like I can still edit and add pictures to my Skylark 56 thread that was started back in March 2013. Like you say there might be a edit limit. I know there was a limit on that other RC site, but so far it looks like there might not be a limit on RCG.

Mike
Nov 04, 2014, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Mike ,

Thanks for checking that out. If that's the case then I shouldn't have a problem updating the posts. Excellant!

Thanks again,
Bryan
Nov 07, 2014, 05:33 AM
Thread OP
So I added the "B" Gallerys

To make each Gallery complete as possible I'd like to ask for some help.

The links seem to be working quite well. Would be nice if there was a was to replace the windows contents when you clicked on a link instead of opening up I new window. But it is what it is.

Next up the "C" Albums

Email pics to [email protected] or post them here.

Regards,

Bryan
Nov 07, 2014, 11:52 AM
KC4JAJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc
Bryan,

Jim Johns
Here are the Atlanta pictures. Sorry for the poor quality but the original quality wasn't the best.

Quick Reply