May 08, 2004, 02:11 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
Hi ZRS4,

I too would like to say that you did a nice job of finishing your MF! ...a very clean look.

It's been awhile but IIRC, here is a 'brain dump' of my TX's settings that I used on my MF. Keep in mind that you will need to toss that 'Y' cord first!
  • Enter programming mode on the TX (both edit keys).
  • Right edit key -> FLPN mix. Enable it with the 'Clear' key then slave chn 6 to 1 at 100%.
  • Right edit key (4 times) -> 'E -> F' mix. Enable it with the 'Clear' key then set it to 50% to begin with. Change this value later on as you get used to the plane's quick response! I have mine set to 100%

Now if you've followed Peter's instructions on changing the 5th channel on the RX to accommodate Chn 6 then you should be set. Flip the flight condition switch back (away from you). This enables the E-F mix (Flaperon).

Good luck and remember to make your first flights on low rates...50% to 75% Expo as well.

Regards,
Roger
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2004, 10:46 AM
Thread OP

Thanks For the Help Roger

Thanks Roger, the berg problem is in re programming the rec to see channel 6 so it isnt the radio. because i have the tantrum set up with flaperons and it works fine, so to try the miniflash i was using the tantrum memory.

With the Berg 5--i put a jumper on 2 and 4 post, a servo on 1 , and the battery on 3 post...powered it up with the radio on first, and it was supposed to wave "i got it" then everything off starting with the airplane..fini

after it did not work the first time i tried moving the power to the 6 post and repeated the procedure..

i have to be missing something here..

the other issue is the CG at 1/2 inch behind the lower vertical spar. i am still deciding if it needs to go further forward and if its worth adding weight to do this..it throws you off a little because there is no lower spar cap..
May 08, 2004, 01:34 PM
Thread OP

Maidened the MiniFlash!!

All I can say is WOW

I dont know what i was worried about, its an easy plane to fly but can "get up and go" when you want it to.

I flew it off a cul du sac down at the industrial park and it did not need any trim at all. The CG was 1/2 inch aft of the lower wing spar. Auw is at 15.5 or close to that.

I did notice the LVC kicked in when i tried full throttle with the 5:1 gearbox on it and the 1070 apc slowflyer prop. but 80% on the stick was way more than i needed anyway. that will be further investigated.

Loops rolls and all the other usual maneuvers were done easily using low rates as suggested and expo as suggested by Doug at Mountain Models. He really knows his stuff because it flew EXACTLY as advertised.

A soft landing on the pavement holding a little idle power completed the maiden. It does have easy low speed handling, i flew it in slow flight for about 5 minutes proir to landing to get a feel for it first.

This is MM #5 for me, and I cant say enough good stuff about it..Thanks Doug and Matt at Mountain Models!!

Tim
Last edited by ZRS4; May 08, 2004 at 01:41 PM.
May 08, 2004, 01:41 PM
Hehehe. I told you so. Now wait until you switch to high rates with full throws. Yeehaw!

Joe
May 08, 2004, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
You Sure were right Joe..and the weather cleared off today just in time to dust em off..

i am quite sure many a new trick could be invented with this plane..

T
May 08, 2004, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
This is officially now my favorite plane!!!
May 08, 2004, 11:07 PM
You would have to say that! Why did you say that?! I have been wanting a miniflash for a while now. Just got my Dandy GT up the other day for the first time and it was awsome.
May 08, 2004, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
the dandy GT is a great plane, and the beauty is...you can have them BOTH!!

i got mine (GT) after i had put in some time with the flashback and the tantrum and the great thing is that now the planes are not getting the learning rash they were getting to start with..so they are staying nice..and now with the minflash, its more of that!!
May 10, 2004, 12:48 AM
Thread OP

Turbocharger Engaged

i found out why that LVC kicked in, and yes it was the most obvious reason, the battery was at the lvc voltage 9.0 with a load..i had stopped charging batteries that evening becuase i wasnt going to be able to stay in the workshop and i wont charge them unattended, when i put it on the bench i thought it was charged the next day and it wasnt..so the maiden was on a weak //discharged battery..

so today i go out to fly the miniflash (not knowing this) in a little wind with the VERY strong battery and it was like it was shot out of a cannon!!!! JEEEZ i almost lost it because it was going so fast when i turned downwind..thats the closest ive come to detroying one of the planes so far, but someone up there bailed me out..i flew it around some but the wind was getting pretty strong so i brought it in for a nice soft landing in the grass and thanked my lucky stars it wasnt wrecked.

i flew the GT for a whole pack today and it was pretty happy up there with a little breeze.

Quick Reply