May 05, 2004, 12:18 PM
Thread OP
Yippee!

New Miniflash Almost Ready to Fly

This has been a fun kit to build, and now that I have some stick time on the other aileron planes like the Tantrum and Flashback, Dandy sport and GT, I thought I would give it a try for Super Aerobatics..

All the other planes are still in Fine shape, I did nose in the Tantrum one day and it looked bad for about 3 hours, but advice and encourgement from the experts helped me get it back on line quickly.

Cant say enough good stuff about this line of flying models, but I have to get back to that Sparrowhawk, I dont want to become a Kit collector--BUILT Kit Collector is FINE.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2004, 04:25 PM
Checking the wind

I want one too

Wow. That really looks nice. I'm sure I'll have to build one too. Make sure you give us the flight report.

Mike
Last edited by kansascloud; May 05, 2004 at 06:04 PM. Reason: changing e-mail notification
May 05, 2004, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Thanks KansasCloud. I will Certainly make a flight report when it flies and it will be soon.

I am in the final steps of programming the speed controller and the Eclipse 7 radio to work with the Berg 5 and i am a little confused (not abnormal for me).

Can you use flaperons with an Eclipse 7 and a berg 5? do i have to get a jumper to program the berg 5 so i can use flaperons?? jeez i am thinking that sounds complicated, (dammit jim i'm a pilot --not a computer scientist!!))

Right now unless i figure out something else --I have a y cord for the ailerons and will run it the same as the Flashback that has one aileron servo, i hate to make a rec swap with a GWS 6 from something else --especially with this plane--if it got glitched out i would shed many a tear..

I seriously like this plane--it is way cooler than i thought it would be..
May 05, 2004, 05:59 PM
Nice looking build and finish! When you get your RX/TX stuff worked out make sure you have your throws set fairly conservatively for the first few flights and have the CG a tiny bit forward; otherwise it can be a handfull! Enjoy your maiden!

Kevin
Last edited by [email protected]; May 05, 2004 at 06:01 PM.
May 05, 2004, 06:12 PM
The Evil Twin
Great color scheme! Nice job!
May 05, 2004, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Kevin and Matt-

I understand to turn down the rates and take it easy the first flights.

I will try and see if Berg has a site describing the "jumpers" that the instruction sheet talks about. Sounds like its possible to change channel 5 on the rec into a normal 6 following the procedures. That way the individual servos can be used to greatest advantage.

If you think about how nice the equipment is that we have now --even compared to 10 years ago it is amazing..
May 05, 2004, 10:02 PM
I have the same gear as you ZRS4 and am about to start my miniflash, so I also wait for an answer to your flaperon/Berg question.
You have done a great job on the build.
What is the colour scheme on the underside, do I detect Red wings in the pic?
May 05, 2004, 10:17 PM
Excellent job! It's very "clean" looking.

Can't help you as far as the Berg question goes but I can tell you this. If you want flaperons to use as flaps to slow it down don't bother. For all the wild things it will do at high throttle on high rates it's absolutely opposite when you slow down and use low rates. It becomes a kitten and just floats like a Slow Stick. I have flaps set up with my Futaba 9C and I seldom use them. They simply aren't needed.

Do heed Kevin's warning!!! Overdo it with control throws on the maiden and you'll be posting pictures of the carnage here. It will bite you if you don't treat it with respect. It's not hard to fly in the least. It's just that if you make a mistake on high rates it reacts so well that it'll probably be your last mistake. Once you get a feel for this bird it'll become a favorite. I parked my FlashBack in favor of the MiniFlash. It's THAT good!

Joe
May 05, 2004, 10:31 PM
Hey TJ, wanna sell me your Flashback???!!! Just kidding!

Kevin
May 05, 2004, 10:47 PM
Leave me alone!
Nice finish, ZRS. Take Kevin's warning about the CG seriously. The Miniflash does not like to be tail heavy. Otherwise, she can be a very sweet flyer

Martin
May 06, 2004, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRS4
Can you use flaperons with an Eclipse 7 and a berg 5? do i have to get a jumper to program the berg 5 so i can use flaperons?? jeez i am thinking that sounds complicated, (dammit jim i'm a pilot --not a computer scientist!!))
Yes, you can use flaps with that setup. The Berg 5 puts the 5th channel on channel 6, where the Eclipse wants it. So you have 1-aileron (right?) 2-ele 3-throttle 4-rudder 6-aileron (left?). It took me a while how to figure out the setup on the Eclipse. If you need help, I can try and walk you through it. Assuming I can remember myself.

Hope that helps.

Derek
May 06, 2004, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Thank You guys, I got a email from mr berg himself, he is a VERY nice guy.

I will try his instructions later today when i get back from my trip, and after it works i will post them.

i will wait to post it because i want to make sure i did it right before repeating to anyone else.

As for the underside of the plane , yes the underside wings are red and the underside tail is red on the elevator, so i can tell which side is up at a distance. the Gee Bee colored Dandy GT is the same basic idea and it turned out to be the easiest plane to see at a distance out of all in the flock.

CG will be scrutinized to within 1/4 inch aft of wing spar
and the control throws set low..
Ailerons 1/2 inch
Elevator 3/4 inch
rudder 1 inch
60% expo on ailerons and elevator
throws measured center to one end.

auw will be posted when i have it later today also.

Thanks to Mountain models for such a great kit.
May 06, 2004, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
jojonz--i tried the method from mr berg and i must have misunderstood something because it did not work..

so far i have a y cable hooked to the ailerons and it will work with the berg 5.
but no flaperons so far.

i cant say i am satisfied with giving up, i will try to get more information and then share it here.
May 07, 2004, 04:22 AM
Sorry to hear it is proving troublesome ZRS4.
I will not be starting mine for at least another month so will follow your progress with interest.
May 07, 2004, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
checked the AUW is over specified 11 oz--its 12.2 empty, and 15.4 with the 1300 Irate pack.

i put the stacks on it, and a custom gearbox, and a little balsa reinforcment on places i saw that looked weak. the motor is the 2015-5400

i have the speed control , rec, and battery as far forward as i can get them and an extra washer on the prop adaptor, the ony thing i didnt do is go to the apc e prop instead of the apc slowflyer prop, the increase in weight on the nose would maybe help a little more, but i dont want the extra weight. i started to bend the struts forward a little to move the tires forward but i didnt like the way it looked so i put it back the way it was..

the cg is about 1/2 inch behind the bottom vertical wing spar, theres no spar cap on the bottom so it begs the question is it better to turn it over and balance it upside down?

i set the throws and expo exactly as specified, and i am not sure with this CG is it going to be a squirrel ?? i cant get the battery any farther forward.

its all ready to go if this CG thing isnt going to be a problem.

this plane actually weighs more than the Flashback with the same battery in it..which seems odd. (about .3 oz more)

i never did solve the berg channel 6 problem, because i wanted to finish the plane and i am hearing that it doesnt make much difference in landing..(as joe said)
Last edited by ZRS4; May 07, 2004 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply