Jul 07, 2018, 07:06 PM
Jeff--Nice to see you at the scale event this morning!

I just looked online, and found this product, so I ordered it. Since I have to use enamel on my plastic-covered wing, I'll have to use the same enamel on the foam fuse and tail, to keep the colors matched up. The primer seems like it will keep everything safe.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 11:36 AM

No luck at all today

NO wind today, [the Wind Turbine guys must be morose], and only 82 deg/56 % humidity: Great day to take the Panther out. Two batteries later I was attacked by a swarm of Gnats, Mosquitoes and other flying things; Lost concentration and played Lawn Dart again. Thankfully very little damage except to my exposed skin. Off into the Wild Blue again and was doing fine until I was coming in for a landing and misjudged the landing coming to rest in the tall swamp grass that surrounds our grass strip The grass has cleaned both wings off of the fuse I believe that I need to explore a new wing carry-through structure as I had used a 1/4" ply dihedral brace and BSI 30 min epoxy to attach the wings. I might even use a one-piece KFM 3 wing without any dihedral.
I'll get back to you.
Jul 10, 2018, 12:36 PM
Oarlock--Oh man! The great outdoors!
Jul 10, 2018, 06:47 PM
Jer. 29:11
The struggle is real!
Jul 11, 2018, 01:44 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oarlock
Two batteries later I was attacked by a swarm of Gnats, Mosquitoes and other flying things; Lost concentration and played Lawn Dart again. Thankfully very little damage except to my exposed skin.

Three words for you my friend "Deep Woods Off"

I have a spray bottle of that stuff in the trunk and use it when I fly. Otherwise I get attacked by those pesky little black flies. Plus, I can walk into the high weeds to retrieve a errant RC plane without a single tick getting me.
Jul 11, 2018, 04:18 PM
I had about a half pint of "Bug Smoother" on every exposed extremity but sometimes those Iowa river-type bugs will go through Kevlar
Jul 21, 2018, 08:39 PM
Last Thursday was our club meeting, which is held at the flying field during the summer. Jeff invited me to bring my plane, which was done except for the decals. John H. also had his out there. But I just saw on the club website today a picture of Jeff, John, and their planes from that club meeting. I wasn't told about the photo shoot, so I'm not included in the picture. I feel betrayed, after working so hard to get my plane ready. How would you all feel about being blatantly excluded like that?
Jul 25, 2018, 03:21 AM
Here's my model after painting. Right now I've got all the electronics on it, and I'm putting on the decals.
Jul 27, 2018, 10:44 PM

All Done

Here's what it looks like all ready to go.
Jul 28, 2018, 08:01 AM
Very Nice Paint Job!!! Now, don't "lawn dart" it.
Jul 28, 2018, 08:46 AM
It looks terrific! Should have excellent visibility in the sometimes-gray Northwest skies.

Best wishes for the maiden.
Jul 28, 2018, 02:38 PM
Thanks Oarlock and Jeff! Yes, I suppose being "done" includes the maiden. It would be nice to get some video.
Aug 02, 2018, 04:42 PM

Decals

The maiden is going to happen after the August 23rd Club Group Build photo shoot at our club meeting. You know--"Stuff Happens." I want my plane to be in pristine shape for the photo op! Also, to make a long story short, my paint job ended up with me stripping off the iron-on white covering from the wing, and using my original cheap acrylic paint applied with a foam brush. I used no masking, but instead fell back upon the method that I first learned in kindergarten, where us little kiddies had to keep our coloring inside the lines. I used a 1/4" square Testors model brush to do the edges. For the decals, I used the Sig 4" and 7" stars and bars, and experimented with sticky-back printable white vinyl sheets for the numbers/letters. The best thing to come from that experiment was the realization that I could apply the graphics in an entire block instead of single numbers/letters. That way I could just line the whole thing up, press the graphics in place, and pull off the scrap around them. I prepared the graphics as a sandwich: the top layer was an inkjet printout of the graphics from an online picture of the full-scale subject, blown up to the size of my model in Photoshop, and arranged on a single sheet size; the middle layer was the blank white vinyl sheet; and the bottom layer was a blank piece of printer paper. The sandwich was taped together at the edges, and placed on top of a cutting mat. Wearing a hobby magnifying visor, I cut the graphics out with a #11 blade, keeping the vinyl in place within the frame using the very low tack adhesive strips cut from Post-it notes. I peeled off the paper back covering from each vinyl letter/number, and placed the entire block in position on the model, with a piece of Reynolds Kitchen Parchment Paper between to keep the exposed adhesive from prematurely sticking to the model. Once positioned to my satisfaction, I removed the parchment paper, and rubbed the individual letters/numbers into place. Then I carefully peeled off the Post-it note strips to free the vinyl graphics from the surrounding frame scraps, and just as carefully pulled the scraps away from the stuck-down vinyl graphics. For the black numbers/letters, I simply pre-painted the applicable areas of the white vinyl sheet black before making the sandwich. I figured if the vinyl is printable, it's also paintable.
Aug 03, 2018, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a good process. And the results look good too!

For the black letters/numbers, what sort of paint did you use on the printable vinyl? Are you happy with how that turned out?
Aug 03, 2018, 08:28 AM
Thanks, Jeff! Specifically, I used Testors Model Master Interior Black acrylic paint for the black letters. It was one of about a hundred bottles of paint that I've had around for years with the good intention of painting something, and never actually painting anything. Since this was the first time I've used the sticky-back vinyl sheets, I had no idea how they would perform. I was expecting them to be like Monokote trim sheets. But either their adhesive isn't so strong, or the cheap acrylic paint (student grade) from my neighborhood Blicks is somehow hindering their ability to stick well. The last thing I need is to maiden my plane, and watch all my hard work blow off my plane. So I'm going back to Blicks here in a few days to check out some acrylic-compatible fixative (flat or matt) to either brush on or spray on the graphics.

Quick Reply