Jun 25, 2018, 05:04 PM
Jay: I used a 2S/2200 battery. The back of the battery is (was) about 3/4" in front of the wing LE. I say WAS, as I lost orientation in the fading light last night and made a lawn-dart out of it. I buried it 5 1/4" nose first into the rich, wet Iowa black dirt. It took quite a bit of effort to pull it out (once I stopped laughing). Repairs are on-going.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2018, 06:57 PM
Hi Oarlock! I know it's never fun to crash your plane, but it is kind of funny about the "lawn dart" description--I was thinking the same thing about how it looks from a top view. I'm surprised that you got it to fly at all on a 2 cell battery--not much "uuumph" for the amount the plane weighs. So now you really do have a good reason to build that 4 cell version. I just ordered a couple stars and bars decal sheets from Sig Manufacturing to go on mine, and I got curious about how far you are from them. I looked on a map, and saw that you're up near the northwest corner, and Sig is about a hundred miles or so away, straight east of Des Moines.
Jun 25, 2018, 07:42 PM
Oh Fudge!! Proof-reading has never been my strong suit It is actually a 3S/2200 batt. pack. Doh.
Jun 25, 2018, 07:47 PM
I've been playing with model planes for neigh on 50 years now and have never been to the SIG store. This is despite living in Iowa all my life (with the exception of 6 years in the USN) and driving by Montezuma on I-80 more times than I can count.
Jun 25, 2018, 08:17 PM
Oarlock--I thought it was a 3 cell, but thanks for clarifying that. And I thought Sig would make a pretty cool LHS, but it would be a bit of a drive, at least for me.

I just got through doing something new that I want to share with you guys. All my Velcro is sticky-back (no sew-on variety in the shop at the moment), so I wanted to kill two birds with one stone: use the sticky part to adhere it to the plane, and un-stick the rest to go around the battery. I first masking-taped off the rectangular area where I wanted to stick the Velcro. Then I gave it a coat of epoxy to give it a hard, glassy finish, just right for sticking the Velcro on. Thirdly, I cut the peel-off backing from the Velcro just up to the amount that fits inside the rectangular area. Lastly, I used citrus adhesive remover to get rid of the rest of the adhesive. For the complementary piece, I'll just take all the adhesive off.
Jul 01, 2018, 09:58 AM
Jer. 29:11
A friend in our RC club forwarded this with the report that it "flies great, looks great and takes off from grass."
Jul 01, 2018, 10:01 AM
And here's mine, ready for the re-maiden.
Jul 01, 2018, 11:23 AM
Hmmm . . . Having all your "gear" on the port side is a good strategy for our flying field with the default pattern being counterclockwise. When you're "up close and personal", the "clean" starboard side is the "camera-ready" beauty side.
Jul 02, 2018, 04:00 PM
Jay & Jeff: Nice stuff!!!! In the final throes of getting mine rebuilt from the "Lawn-Dart" incident. Hopefully it will be up on the 4th
Jul 02, 2018, 05:35 PM
Oarlock--Let's hear it for Independence Day! Show us some pix if you get them.
Jul 05, 2018, 07:03 AM

Washed out!!!!!!!!

My Independence Day re-maiden was a complete washout 2 1/2 inches of rain came down in sheets along with 60 mph winds, flooded the flying field and washed out all of the local concerts and fire works. What a bust
Maybe tomorrow when it dries out a little bit.
Jul 05, 2018, 08:10 AM
Looking good! (Sorry to hear about the weather...)
Jul 05, 2018, 01:48 PM
Oarlock--Your weather sounds like what I used to get in my home state of Ohio with its Great Lakes weather. But your paint job is just remarkable, man! So far, all you guys are kicking my butt in the paint department. This is only the second model that I've attempted to paint (I'm usually a Monokote man). And my first model was painted back in 2004! However, I will persevere. I figure about another week and I'll be done.
Jul 05, 2018, 05:54 PM
Since I'm on the subject of paint, here's where I'm at right now. I initially was painting it with acrylic paints, and that would have been fine had it not been that I covered the wing with Econokote white, using the Scotchbrite scrub method to get the paint to stick. I didn't realize that the method only works if you use enamel paints. I got all the acrylic yellow on my wing, top and bottom, two coats. But it wasn't sticking as I wanted it, and I knew putting on any type of mask for subsequent colors was just going to pull the paint off. So after a conversation with Jeff via email, I decided to switch to enamel paint. I scraped all the yellow off my wings, and now I have enamel Winter Gray on the leading edge of my wings. But I got a gritty texture from my paint, and I'm not sure why that happened. I shook it up well, so it should have been mixed OK. Should I sand that off, and try again?
Jul 05, 2018, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles with paint. If it is gritty on top of the covering, then sand it off with 400 wet paper and have another go. (If it is gritty on top of bare foam, then it may be that the propellant in the paint is attacking the foam.)

Quick Reply