Grumman F9F Panther - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2014, 05:59 PM
Dave Segal
Build Log

Grumman F9F Panther

I have been fond of Grumman fighter planes since I was a boy. When Dick Sarpolus published his plan for a profile EDF version in the Summer issue of Park Pilot magazine I knew that this would be a project for me. The plan is available at http://www.theparkpilot.org/grummanf9fpanther/

With the loss of one of the great hobby shops, Penn Valley Hobbies, I had to search for a source of plywood and basswood strips. Sig has fast delivery and reasonable shipping costs for a small order. The sheet foam is from Model Plane Foam and the wing cores were made by Robins View Productions- robinhunt@ren.com.

The fuselage is 3/16” foam laminated with 1/32” ply doublers on the forward section. I have found that Loctite Stik ‘N Seal Indoor Adhesive works well for laminating. It has little odor, is non-toxic and cleans up with water. The basswood strips stiffen things considerably.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2014, 06:03 PM
Dave Segal
The tip tanks are laminated of three layers of foam and I tried Titebond glue here which worked nicely.

The wing cores are beautifully cut and include slots for the basswood spars and for the plywood wing joiner.

The paint is Americana acrylic craft paint which is inexpensive and goes on smoothly with a foam brush
Nov 01, 2014, 06:04 PM
Dave Segal
Specs.: 37.3” wingspan, 350 sq.in. wing area. Weight 27.3 oz.
Insignia – Northeast Screen Graphics Text-Sig
EDF unit – from donsrc.com Wicked EDF motor 4800kv, 64mm fan
ESC – Thunderbird 54
Pack-Turnigy 3x2200, 20C
Receiver – Futaba R6106
Servos – HiTec HS-55
Static run – 41A, 460W, for 270W/lb.

Taking advantage of low winds I went to the Club field and recruited a friend to do the handlaunch. Despite a high pulse rate it was a smooth steady flyer with a nice sound. It is not over-powered and does big loops and nice rolls. I used the flaperon function for landing and it just floated to the grass. Further maneuvers will wait for another day.
Nov 02, 2014, 11:42 AM
Gone Fly'n
Very cool...I have a 64mm fan and ESC sitting in the garage...just might have to give something like this a try...looks great!
Apr 23, 2016, 12:23 AM
Jer. 29:11
Nice work. Love your paint scheme too. Thanks for posting and including a link to the plans.
Apr 23, 2016, 05:32 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Very NICE !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Apr 28, 2016, 09:25 AM
If you want to go up to the next level, try 4 lb jet kits for 90mm EDFs.
I started to collect sources of short kits and complete kits for EDF jets.

http://www.tucsonrcclub.net/TRCC-Forums/aft/33

These RBC kits are for 70-90mm EDFs. And because they are very light, they have ballistic power with just a 6s EDF putting out 5-6 lbs of thrust.
Apr 28, 2016, 06:35 PM
Dave Segal
Alas, at my age this is as exciting as I care to go. A hotter model would require a note from my cardiologist! (G)

Dave
May 29, 2018, 07:04 PM
The local RC club is doing a group build of this model. Looking forward to seeing them fly!

We cut some servo mounts out of 1/32" ply, and we 3D printed some push rod standoffs (for 0.047" push rods).

For the wing, I glued the servo mounts in place, set my rotary tool to the depth of the servo, and cut out the pocket.

PDF and STL attached in case they're useful.
Jun 01, 2018, 11:05 AM
Hey Dave: Since I don't have access to a copy of the Park Pilot, how did you fasten the EDF to the airframe? I'v got a 70 MM EDF laying around that will work just swell with this thing.
Thanks
Ray
Jun 01, 2018, 07:39 PM
I bought a copy of the July 2013 issue of RC Sport Flyer $1.50 which included a short build description of Dick Sarpolus' Cougar: "The EDF unit is then installed—held in place with a few dabs of hot glue."

I decided to try some 8-32 nylon bolts. (6-32 might have fit better.)
Jun 02, 2018, 06:58 PM
Dave Segal
I did use the hot glue as suggested.

Dave
Jun 02, 2018, 07:03 PM
Dave Segal

Connector Screws

Jefsch

Very nice workmanship.

I hate slotted head setscrews for EZ connectors on servos. If you try to torque them down there is a good chance that the screwdriver blade will go through your finger and maybe the model, too. (G) I bought 1/8" long socket head capscrews and drive them with a balldriver. They hold tight. They are 2-56 x 1/8" long. DuBro does not sell screws this short and I got mine from http://microfasteners.com

Dave
Last edited by Dsegal; Jun 03, 2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: correction
Jun 03, 2018, 08:31 AM
Dave, thanks for the tip about servo capscrews.

Do you remember what control throws you used with your model?
Jun 03, 2018, 12:19 PM
Dave Segal

Control Throws

Using the precision device shown in the photo I measured the control throws:

Ailerons on high rate- 1/2" up and 3/8" down

Elevator on low rate- up and down 1/8"

Rudder- 1/2" each side

The measuring gauge shown had its debut in my well regarded (G) 2005 lecture: "Ten things for your hobby under ten dollars." (Don't ask me what the other nine were.) The calibration on the vertical scale is used for measuring control throws. I added the horizontal scale so I could easily measure distance from a wing leading edge to locate the balance point.
Last edited by Dsegal; Jun 03, 2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added information

Quick Reply