RG 65 Mass Build? - Page 4 - RC Groups
Dec 03, 2014, 06:28 PM
@Ihurt

Maybe we have to think upside down ............ mount the servo on the boom !
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2014, 07:45 PM
Lucas
and rake the boom pivot axis forward so the weight of the servo helps drag the booms out!
Dec 03, 2014, 08:09 PM
Silly Old Fart
Hey there Dick, have a look at these.....
http://www.titan-winches.com/
Dec 04, 2014, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Because the hull of the DF65 is heavy (by class standards, that is), its bulb/keel is lighter, so that total displacement is not too much. This means it cannot bear a full 1250 sqcm sail... that is why the mast is shorter, too. For heavier winds you can swap to a longer fin (available from Josway).

If you ask me, the overall design balance of the DF65 is great. It sails better than any other kit you can buy, and it is very well built.

Just FYI: if you look at winning boats in Brasil, currently they are using 1250 sqcm sail with 110cm long mast, 650gr bulb with 35cm long fin, and an overall displacement around 1100 gr.
Tarmstro

The DF will carry a larger bulb if need be. we have tried a 750g ballast on it and it sails fine

the DF can carry the FULL sail area (2250 sqcm). the mast was made shorter than allowed by the rules to allow a larger wind range that the DF can sail in.

What is this LONGER fin you are on about ? the fin in the kit is the longest you are allowed, the joysway short fin Is allowed but bot in competition
Dec 04, 2014, 07:09 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
Tarmstro

The DF will carry a larger bulb if need be. we have tried a 750g ballast on it and it sails fine

the DF can carry the FULL sail area (2250 sqcm). the mast was made shorter than allowed by the rules to allow a larger wind range that the DF can sail in.

What is this LONGER fin you are on about ? the fin in the kit is the longest you are allowed, the joysway short fin Is allowed but bot in competition
My mistake: The stock fin is the long one, the shorter is the optional one.

I know the DF65 can carry full 2250 sqcm sail (second mistake: wrong number! sorry). I was just trying to convey what the logic of its design is. But I'm sure you know better than me... Contrats for a great boat! (we already have 5 sailing here)
Dec 04, 2014, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBit
Hey there Dick, have a look at these.....
http://www.titan-winches.com/
I have looked at those, and while a bit spendy, have widened the hulls in my "KYOTE" design so I can drop them in vertically. I would probably keep the drum above deck, I could also go to some sort of center pod between hulls. Originally I had built the foam prototypes to allow insertion of a GWS drum, but in that case there remained a drum speed issue.

The biggest issue is having a winch that costs a lot more than the rest of the boat. There is a guy here (actually in Michigan) that I thought was ordering a bunch - so I may wait and take a physical look if/when he gets his. Still hard to beat a good arm winch for speed and cost. Drawback as noted is the need for arm length - or multiple part sheeting to get the length.

By the way - so very good to hear from you again. Missed your posts.

Stay well - Dick
Dec 04, 2014, 02:53 PM
Flying without a licence

Rebel Shadows

I find the beauty of using 5mm foam board is the ease in which it can be cut. A sharp scalpel slices through the straight cuts without ripping the foam and a scroll saw makes light work of the curves. A light rub with medium sanding pad removes any small imperfections.
I do find cutting the shadows a very satisfying part of a hull build project.
Dec 05, 2014, 09:12 AM
Flying without a licence

Rebel ready for planking

Managed to finish cutting and fixing the shadows
Dec 05, 2014, 10:04 AM
Lucas
You certainly have an elegance to your modeling photography that I'm certain is helping with the designs as well!
Dec 09, 2014, 02:08 PM
Flying without a licence
Let the planking commence.
This part of the build has got to be one of the most rewarding. With each plank the hull shape develops in front of you and you cant help but start imagining the completed model effortlessly gliding through the water.
Dec 19, 2014, 08:25 AM
Flying without a licence

Rebel

Planking and fairing all done, she's starting to look the business.
Last edited by FWAL; Dec 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:05 AM
With that much rocker along the keel line, how do you reduce "hobby-horsing" in waves?
Dec 19, 2014, 10:16 AM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
With that much rocker along the keel line, how do you reduce "hobby-horsing" in waves?
Not sure but the transom is only 46mm wide and well rounded so I'm hoping her bum shouldn't bounce too much. Her overall max beam is 88mm.
Dec 20, 2014, 03:23 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark dicks
[I] don't think there is any limit on fin length; increased drag tends to make extreme lengths unpractical.[/QUOTE]
Dec 20, 2014, 04:26 AM
Flying without a licence
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards
[I] don't think there is any limit on fin length; increased drag tends to make extreme lengths unpractical.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Martin
I think you've missed understood. Mark D was talking in relation to the DF fin and DF Class rules which appear to have a max fin length.
But you are correct there is no minimum or maximum length for a RG65
Mk