Apr 18, 2017, 11:30 AM
I think that 5mm thick is a little too much. This is more like the max thickness of an RG65 fin. The max thickness of my RG65 rudder blades are 3.5mm with a 3mm shaft. I've also made some Footy rudder blades and they are about 2.5mm thick with a 2mm shaft.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2017, 11:50 AM
Brilliant thanks

I'm sure I'll have more questions after I attempt that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Apr 18, 2017, 11:01 PM

Manta RG65

Round 3 of fairing lol
Apr 19, 2017, 06:11 PM
Thomas,
Looks like a good turnout for the 2017 South Americans.

How did your "nARROW" do against the professionally built boats? There were some photos that looked like good starts, but more interested in how it did boat for boat go as far as speed ? Any major changes that need to be made from original build? Any comments or other observations?

Thanks Dick
Apr 19, 2017, 10:25 PM

Manta RG65

A little more tlc, and the plug will be ready
Apr 19, 2017, 10:37 PM
Thanks for sharing the process with pics!
Apr 20, 2017, 10:31 AM
Lucas
Hi David,
Did you mention what you are using as a fairing compound? It looks like you've done a few layers now and the surface is looking real good.

Also, I'm curious if you've ever tried the shaping foam method from BG's video? If so what are the pros and cons of making the initial skeleton of the mold from balsa instead of foam?
Apr 20, 2017, 05:33 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Thomas,
Looks like a good turnout for the 2017 South Americans.

How did your "nARROW" do against the professionally built boats? There were some photos that looked like good starts, but more interested in how it did boat for boat go as far as speed ? Any major changes that need to be made from original build? Any comments or other observations?

Thanks Dick
Not sure why you question is in this thread and not here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...can-Champ-2017

I can say that the nArrow sails great. I'm sure a better skipper would have been much higher in the results... Still need better sails myself, and to improve in the thumbs+brain area...
Apr 20, 2017, 06:25 PM

Manta RG65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhurt
Hi David,
Did you mention what you are using as a fairing compound? It looks like you've done a few layers now and the surface is looking real good.

Also, I'm curious if you've ever tried the shaping foam method from BG's video? If so what are the pros and cons of making the initial skeleton of the mold from balsa instead of foam?
Hi there, I think Mr. Gibson ' s video is amazing on building a foam plug. One day I would like to try it. Just have been chicken to so. Thank you Brad for sharing your foam method.

I simply use drywall puddy for fairing.
Apr 20, 2017, 10:33 PM

Manta RG65

Still need to apply some epoxie over the hull, but getting closer
Apr 21, 2017, 07:11 PM
Looking really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Apr 24, 2017, 11:19 PM

Manta RG65

Off the shadow build board
Apr 28, 2017, 07:42 AM

Manta RG65

Deck fitted to hull, a bit of fairing still to do. Then a bunch of wet sanding
May 01, 2017, 01:26 PM
Orco Skinny
Mark Dicks
Can you PM me in regards to Sith
Thanks
MMB
May 08, 2017, 07:02 AM
Did the double mould. Not the greatest print but it worked well.

One rather amusing failure with resin melting the foam core and a second attempt with a balsa core until I can get epoxy.

Foam core compressed to get the shape

Melted foam core

Attempt 2 with balsa.
Very little time spent on surface finish.

Quick Reply