Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 01, 2014, 03:07 PM
Flying without a licence
Discussion

RG 65 Mass Build?

Does anybody fancy designing or building from plan their next RC yacht. Do you fancy the idea but need some prompting or general help and support?
I'm going to be designing and building a RG 65 soon. Does anybody else want to come along too. Share ideas and building techniques. The more the merrier and it doesn't matter if this is your first or twenty first build.
The RG65 is probably the perfect RC yacht to bite your teeth on as a novice builder or new to the sport as it is relatively cheap and a growing Class.
Thanks for reading and I hope to see your drawing/building board soon.
Mk
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2014, 05:14 PM
Hi Mate

Incredible timing! I'm just about to embark on my own RG65 build because much as I love my Go Spectre 650 and Dragon Force... designing, building and racing my own boat is the dream.

I've just started with Delftship Free, trying to come up with something RG65 ish so I'd love to know how your going about designing yours and also what your plans are for the fin? I keep looking at a replacement Dragon Force Fin (for 7) and wondering if I could actually make a stiffer/thinner one and whether it would be worth the hassle for a couple of mm and a few grams extra weight?!

Some sort of shared build effort is the way forward, hopefully it will give me the kick up the arse I need to get on with it.

tim
Nov 01, 2014, 05:29 PM
You'll have to excuse the dodgy screenshot but I can only get Defltship installed on my work laptop (which is XP, lol!) I use macs at home but seems I'm all out of luck trying to get it working in a virtual machine

Anyway this is my first effort which went all wrong around the transom so no sniggering at the weird rocker profile!! You can see where I'm heading though, narrow, narrow, narrow
Nov 01, 2014, 06:23 PM
Thomas Armstrong
FWAL: I did this exact thing last year, and this year I am enjoying my build. Take a look here for a detailed description of everything I have done so far:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2098471

If you need any advice do not hesitate to ask! PM me or ask here or ask at that other thread.
Nov 02, 2014, 12:32 PM
I've got the delftship software working on my machine at home and I've been clicking on little yellow lines all afternoon. Here's my latest doodle with a much improved rocker profile.

Name: v2.jpg
Views: 343
Size: 464.1 KB
Description: Name: v22.jpg
Views: 259
Size: 745.7 KB
Description:

Doubt I've got the waterline right, or the displacement or any of the important stuff but the shape is sort of what I what
Nov 03, 2014, 06:35 AM
Flying without a licence
Nice to have you onboard Tim.
I'll be putting pencil to paper in the very near future and then purchasing some balsa sheet.
Can we persuade any more prospective designers-builders to join in. There are plenty of free plans on the web. And you don't have to use exotic, ubber materials either. I'll be building the hull from balsa and FG
Tarmstro's RG project just goes to show what the amateur builder is capable of.
Well done.
Mk
Nov 03, 2014, 07:32 PM
i have been toying with the idea of getting away from the "Traditional" skinny boat design. I've come up with some lines based on the International Fireball class. Attached are some 2D views as preliminary thoughts. I understand I may need to adjust for servos and such.

Max beam approx. 175.25mm
deepest part of hull 53.5mm

Any thoughts?
Nov 04, 2014, 02:10 AM
CWObara

one thought comes to mind - FREEBOARD.

i have been increasing the freeboard on my designs. earlier designs was about 60mm at bow, later designs about 80mm.

see attached PDF's
Nov 04, 2014, 04:48 AM
Hi Chaps

thanks for sharing those files mark, i'm studying them intently

question - how do i go about working out the proper waterline for my boat? I'm guessing the displacement will be in the region of 1kg-1.2kg however when i first set up my project file in Delftship it just asks you to pick an arbitrary draft (i read somewhere to multiple all the dimensions by x10 when working in the software and then scale down afterwards)...

Name: intial-settings.jpg
Views: 269
Size: 19.8 KB
Description:

Now looking at Mark D's designs I see a lot more boat underwater than my design so it looks like i'm way out, is there some sort of mind bending calculation that will guide me? I haven't worked out how to input the displacement in Delftship but maybe i should learn the manual way first?!
Nov 04, 2014, 05:29 AM
Tim

the wedge design is 100mm wide, the Atom 95mm wide, si i have to go deep to get the displacement,

sorry but i dont use Delftship so i cannot help you regarding displacement etc
Nov 04, 2014, 06:20 AM
Cool thanks for the info. Is the Atom a bit wider than the sliver?
Last edited by tim_uk; Nov 04, 2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Removed an Erroneous question mark
Nov 04, 2014, 06:36 AM
it is

my thinnest boat was 80mm wide
Nov 04, 2014, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWObara
i have been toying with the idea of getting away from the "Traditional" skinny boat design. I've come up with some lines based on the International Fireball class. Attached are some 2D views as preliminary thoughts. I understand I may need to adjust for servos and such.

Max beam approx. 175.25mm
deepest part of hull 53.5mm

Any thoughts?
There is a USOM scow plan, scoundrel, by Bob DeBow ... has anyone thought about making a rg65 out of it?
Nov 04, 2014, 01:47 PM
When the IOM first started there was a Fireball copy in that class called I believe Woodpecker.
We had one at our club but it performed poorly.
Boats that get there windward stability by sailing upright with the crew as ballast dont work well when sailing heeled. With a fin and bulb for stability an RG65 would be similar to an IOM in that the ballast has very little effect when the boat is upright but as it heels becomes more efficient.
Ime sure theres someone on here who could explain all the technical stuff.
Nov 09, 2014, 06:13 PM
Registered Billy
I'm working on a male mold for a Goth RG. It's at the sand-fill-sand-fill-sand-fill stage. Next time I will be more careful fairing the foam up before glassing it-too many flat spots to fill between the stations. Another mistake I made was too little epoxy in the first layer of glass. I was trying to avoid drips/runs so I really scraped it clean and ended up with some dry spots. I noticed some pitting or pin holes after the first couple of coats of filler primer. I believe this is the foam dissolving under the dry spots. I'll be following along with the design-build aspect of this thread and may even post more of my mistakes.

Brian