Nov 01, 2014, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

JJRC H8C, the syma X5C killer ?

ALERT 02/22/15: ACTUAL 7.4V MOTORS ARE VERY FRAGILE AND DIE FAST

INTRODUCTION

JJRC announced recently two SYMA X5C clones, the H5C and the H8C respectively. One major feature advertised for the H8C is the usage of a 7.4V system instead of the 3.7v for current competitors. After the excellent JJRC 1000 and F182, is this H8C (JJRC H8C) the SYMA X5C killer ?. This JJRC H8C is also known as DFD F183.

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x JJRC H8C (with a 23.6g 500mAh 2S LiPo (mini tamiya connector ?))
+ 1 x Controler (using 4xAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x Charger
+ 4 x Spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 4 x Props guard
+ 1 x Screwdriver
+ 1 x Instruction manual (english/chinese)

OVERVIEW

The H8C occupies a square 19cmx19cm. The ground clearance is egal to 5.5cm

Very bright LED band perfect for night flying

The top part of the canopy

The bottom part of the shell with camera clipsed

A good point: the presence of a micro-switch to turn on/off the quadcopter

The battery bay is large (70mmx30mmx15mm) and can accept longer Lipo without problem

Without the battery but with the camera, the H8C scales 120g

and with the battery 144g so close 30g heavier than V626 for example

Landing legs are scaling individually 3.3g

and without the landing skid and camera but with the battery, the H8C's weight is

Large motor pods are jailing the 8.5mmx20mm coreless motors

The H8C uses a gear driven setup. The main gear is in nylon material very durable.

Caution: when I received mine, one prop was not spinning completly freely. It can be explained by the presence of micro plastic residues in this main gear. I strongly advice to run your H8C at low throttle during few minutes to remove these residues. You can also use some silicone oïl only on the bushing rings

When you unscrew the tiny screw blocking the prop on the shaft, you can access to this part

As for the JJRC F182, some oïl bushing rings are prefered instead of real ballbearings. I strongly advice to exchange them for real shield ones.

Props guard are scaling 2.3g each

You need to unscrew 28 + 4 screws to access to disassemble your H8C. The upper part of the shell

and the bottom with the main electronic board

Motors are coreless 8.5mmx20mm

The FC is designed by LG the same compagny who is designing most of WLtoys's FC

We can find on it the classic beken 2423 and the invensense 6050c. The antenna is perfectly tuned to 31mm (2.4G)

The battery is a 2S LiPo using a mini-tamaya JST 2.5 sm 2 pin s connector and don't have any balancer port

It can be problematic versus time if cells can't be equilibrated. Dimensions are 4.5cmx2.5cmx1.3cm

The transmitter have a decentralized LCD screen and have gamepad form 2xcross buttons are used as trimming button while the big red button is used to turn on/off the transmitter. 4xAA batteries are required to power this TX. Sticks are precise. Puncher or thumber will be able to have precize flying with. The left shoulder button permits to select between 4 speed rates: 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%.
When you press this button more than 4s, you can turn on/off the LEDs lights. To calibrate the quadcopter, you must be in 100% mode and push both sticks in lower-left position. LEDs will blink fast when calibration procedure is starting. The right shoulder button activates flipping. Here two modes are available "indoors/outdoors" flipping when you are pressing this button more than 4s. I am not completly sure, but both modes are manual/automatic flipping respectively. The good news is concerning the radio protocol. The H8C is using the "V2x2" protocol ... so if you prefer a WLtoys TX or a JXD one, you can fly your H8C with.

The camera module is scaling 8.1g standalone. Max photo and video resolution is 1280x720. When the camera is on, the green light is turning off.

As you can see in this snapshot, the video is almost jellofree.

JJRC H8C snapshot video (0 min 32 sec)

By adding a piece of foam, between the battery's compartiment door and the camera, I think jello effect can be completly removed

FIRST USAGE

When your start to push the throttle stick, you are immediatly notice that this H8C is very noisy. Noise's motor is amplified by the shell empty structure. In 25% mode, the H8C is flying softly ideal for beginners and robust to moderate winds. The remote is offering very good and precise controls. The yaw rate is good but constant whatever the speed mode.
Of course, the LEDs are very visible even in daylight. When a flips is performed, I noticed a drift in the horizontal plan. Despite this small problem, the H8C is a good flyer. From 50%, the H8C is just great with very good Fast forward !!!!!.
Moving fast, very agile, powerful despite its 140g. Videos are almost jello free and probably can completly removed if a small piece of foam is inserted between the bottom shell and the camera. The light sensibility of the camera is not fantastic, it means that videos at night will be very dark. The range is great and no drop out have been observed. It's a real amazing flyer in this configuration. I liked it a lot !!!. The flying duration is approximatively 6mm (you have a LVC alarm). Notice that motors and the Lipo become hot ... probably because i) the quadcopters is scaling 144g and ii) there are some extra frictions due to the absence of ball-bearings. I am advising to wait 10mm between each Lipo to cool down all the system.

CONCLUSIONS

If you liked the SYMA X5C but disapointed by its poor range for example, this new JJRC H8C is representing the perfect replacement for it. The H8C is a great flyer... banking well, amazing stable with fast forward. The control range is great and LEDs are perfect for night flying. The HD camera is good and precise but a wider Field of View and a better light sensibility (for night flying) would have been even better. Also if the H8C was using a normal JST connector and some real ball-bearings, we would have the perfect brushed quadcopter. Furtunatly, these two mods are easy to do. For a price around 60 USD, this model is reprensentating a great RTF package if you are looking for a very cheap video plateform.

EDIT 12/07/14

I strongly advice to order at least 1 CW motorsand 1 CCW motor as spare since their durability is shorten by the extra weight (140g)
https://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H8C-RC-Quadcopter-Spare-Part-CW-Motor-H8C-05-p-955365.html. Luckely, there are pretty cheap.

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESTING

JJRC H8C Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Banggood) (18 min 6 sec)

PROS

+ Beautiful design (similar to a micro Cheerson CX-20)
+ Very stable (6-axis stabilization) and wind resistant
+ Great flyer
+ Fast quadcopter and banking well
+ Bright LEDs ideal for night flying
+ Good yaw rate
+ Good range control
+ LVC alarm (LEDs blinking slowly)
+ Good HD camera
+ Orientable lens
+ DeviationTX compatible (V2X2 protocol)

CONS

- Noisy
- Bushing rings instead of real ball-bearings
- Uncommon lead connector without balancer plug
- Warm/hot motors usage (impact their durability)
- Narrow camera FOV

JJRC H8C outdoors test (Courtesy of Banggood) (10 min 38 sec)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 60 USD at:
http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H8C-2_4G-4CH-6-Axis-RC-Quadcopter-With-2MP-Camera-RTF-p-950652.html

BNF version

http://www.banggood.com/JJRC-H8C-6-Axis-2MP-Camera-RC-Quadcopter-Without-Transmitter-BNF-p-955299.html

Ball bearings (IDxODxW) 4mmx7mmx2mm replacement

http://www.banggood.com/MR74-Open-Type-Bearings-Miniature-Ball-Bearings-4x7x2mm-10Piecs-p-972944.html

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-Skylark-V636-RC-Quadcopter-Spare-Parts-Bearing-p-949092.html

or

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MR74-...662618306.html
Last edited by SeByDocKy; May 22, 2015 at 02:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2014, 12:58 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for photos, videos and mods

- Fast motor access

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2870
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Feb 17, 2015 at 02:07 AM.
Nov 01, 2014, 03:02 AM
You can't see me! ☣☢☠ϟ nwo
Nice review, thank you my friend! This looks like a cheerson-cx20 at a quarter of the price..what a bargain any idea on the top speed jk.. have a nice day!
Nov 01, 2014, 03:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemtrailCowboy
Nice review, thank you my friend! This looks like a cheerson-cx20 at a quarter of the price..what a bargain any idea on the top speed jk.. have a nice day!
around 35km/h approximatively maybe more .... can't tell you
Nov 01, 2014, 03:42 AM
Pete
Great review. Just what I have been waiting for. Thank you very much.
Nov 01, 2014, 03:49 AM
Great review, very nice flyer. I would really like to know, why use a sm connector on the battery instead of the norm? Better joint connection?
Nov 01, 2014, 03:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big fella
Great review, very nice flyer. I would really like to know, why use a sm connector on the battery instead of the norm? Better joint connection?
Humm I will be mean .... but not sell their own spare battery ....
Nov 01, 2014, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
Humm I will be mean .... but not sell their own spare battery ....
What do you mean, I think I am a bit thick.
Nov 01, 2014, 04:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
What do you mean, I think I am a bit thick.
Read : I will be wicked
Nov 01, 2014, 04:40 AM
In short, manufacturer wants money from selling their own premium priced spare parts instead of owner having a choice of buying some another compatible spare part.

What comes to the quad itself, the main thing that worries me is how soon you need to replace the coreless motors.. All the added weight will surely not make them to last longer.
Nov 01, 2014, 04:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagr
In short, manufacturer wants money from selling their own premium priced spare parts instead of owner having a choice of buying some another compatible spare part.

What comes to the quad itself, the main thing that worries me is how soon you need to replace the coreless motors.. All the added weight will surely not make them to last longer.
8.5mmx20mm spare motors can be found easily. For example take some from the JXD 392
Nov 01, 2014, 05:21 AM
Spare batteries and props you can get from hobby wow. Are they any good ? Never used them before.
Nov 01, 2014, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Spare batteries and props you can get from hobby wow. Are they any good ? Never used them before.
They are ok but as I am advising, the best option is to solder some JST connectors to have a large choice of spare batteries and to correctly balance the 2 cells
Nov 01, 2014, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
They are ok but as I am advising, the best option is to solder some JST connectors to have a large choice of spare batteries and to correctly balance the 2 cells
That sounds like what I will be doing . Easy done.
Nov 01, 2014, 06:03 AM
hi SBY if you have multimeter please test the battery voltage.I believe the battery voltage is 3.7v (1s2P battery) and not 7.4v (2s1p battery) because no 2s charging connector or please read charger adapter voltage 4.2v (1s) or 8.4v (2s). Thanks

Quick Reply