May 16, 2015, 03:51 PM
I tried to clean up my wiring by using servo wires to connect the VRx to my lcd (power, ground, video). I also ran the JST power cable through one of the AV jacks to eliminate the bulky heads. Now it looks clean but the video on the LCD is noticeably noisier. There is some kind of interference from outside, or maybe some signal crossing when I use the servo wire to carry the video signal and power.

When I switch back to the supplied RCA cable, the video quality improves.

Has anyone tried to clean up the wiring and notice poor video quality when using DIY wiring?
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2015, 01:10 AM
Professional UAV Services
Quote:
Originally Posted by xypher
I tried to clean up my wiring by using servo wires to connect the VRx to my lcd (power, ground, video). I also ran the JST power cable through one of the AV jacks to eliminate the bulky heads. Now it looks clean but the video on the LCD is noticeably noisier. There is some kind of interference from outside, or maybe some signal crossing when I use the servo wire to carry the video signal and power.

When I switch back to the supplied RCA cable, the video quality improves.

Has anyone tried to clean up the wiring and notice poor video quality when using DIY wiring?
If you are not using shielded cables and/or the shielding is not being connected to the battery ground then anything you do will make it worse.
May 17, 2015, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I have one of those and agree that it’s the best deal around. It has better range than the more expensive brands. I measured mine with a power meter and it puts out 649mw. Other brands that advertise 600mw usually measure in the 520-550 range. It’s crazy to spend more and get less range.

For my next project I will definitely get another one of those.

These have a lot of variance, I have measured these to have less than 300mW brand new and over 1.3W on some of these in the past (seems to be a common theme with boscan vTX), massive variance in output dependent on when you bought it seems.
May 17, 2015, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
These have a lot of variance, I have measured these to have less than 300mW brand new and over 1.3W on some of these in the past (seems to be a common theme with boscan vTX), massive variance in output dependent on when you bought it seems.
Sounds like it's a good time to order them from surveilzone then
I'm having good results with the FR632 from them too, even though I have switched to skyzone goggles recently
May 17, 2015, 04:40 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:

Have you tried to determine why so much variance? If they all use the same module it must be a variation in the voltage. Maybe they don’t have good tolerance of voltage regulator components?

What transmitters in the 600mw catagory do you recommend?

May 17, 2015, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Have you tried to determine why so much variance? If they all use the same module it must be a variation in the voltage. Maybe they donít have good tolerance of voltage regulator components?

What transmitters in the 600mw catagory do you recommend?

These things (like most of the boscam range) just have a big old dirty amp sitting before the antenna outlet (hence you seriously kill them if you run them for even a second without the antenna), I would imagine the variance is just the low quality cheap a$$ amps that probably vary on exactly what model is used at any given time dependent on availability and price of part.

As long as you are not flying with more than one other person these are incredibly good value, just note that have a reasonably larger footprint (rather wide).
May 17, 2015, 12:45 PM
Does anyone notice the FR632 gets quite warm with 3S 12.6V? Anyone uses a 2S instead? Is this a real problem for durability of the vrx?
May 17, 2015, 10:40 PM
-NEFPV-
Quote:
These things (like most of the boscam range) just have a big old dirty amp sitting before the antenna outlet (hence you seriously kill them if you run them for even a second without the antenna), I would imagine the variance is just the low quality cheap a$$ amps that probably vary on exactly what model is used at any given time dependent on availability and price of part.
The immersion stuff doesnt seem to be any better.

Quote:
As long as you are not flying with more than one other person these are incredibly good value, just note that have a reasonably larger footprint (rather wide).
Do you have some sort of proof to back up this claim? I run a cheap $20 600mw vtx and I flew with 30 other pilots (not all at the same time obviously) this weekend and we had no trouble. I used 5685 and no one else was bothered by me the entire weekend, even if they were right next to my vtx when I powered up.
May 17, 2015, 10:40 PM
-NEFPV-
Who actually manufactures the fr632?
May 18, 2015, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjett
The immersion stuff doesnt seem to be any better.
As far as quality goes you get no argument from me there, Immersion is the last brand I would be buying for anything, let alone video transmission, it is simply over price junk.

Quote:
Do you have some sort of proof to back up this claim? I run a cheap $20 600mw vtx and I flew with 30 other pilots (not all at the same time obviously) this weekend and we had no trouble.
Sorry to say (and I apologies in advance) but a comment like that means there is no need to bother with "proof" so to speak, where is your proof it worked?

Normally I would ask "How many were in the air at once and how much was their range affected" but I think most people who have flown with more than 2 other people at one time could see right through your comment.....

The wide spectrum and "daughter" channels means these cheap vTX's (like just about every other vTX on the market) only allows 2 people in the air at any given time before you start to drastically affect range, then add the fact that some are the 600mW stated and others are nearly 3 times that so there is a game of chance on how bad you will affect your mates. I know for fact you won't be flying with more than 3 people total and not have major issues with range and interference even if you have spread yourself as far apart on the 32 channels as possible, even with 3 people in the air you still have a big drop in range.

Out of the 20 odd brands of vTX's we have tried (considerable time and money spent finding decent vTX's that play nice together) we found only 1 brand that works and that's flysight. I can have 7 of the flysight vTX's on in the same band and have no interference issues at all, even with a vTX right next to the receiver (we did a demonstration day with some decent pilots in order to prove it, now they all use the flysight vTX). These vTX's don't have "daughter" channels and don't transmit over a massive frequency band like everything else so you don't have any overlap between channels (an no measurable loss in range at all). If you need proof have a look at outputs on a decent meter and you will understand, the flysight vTX's were deliberately designed and made for FPV (hence the RC controlled channel change) to allow the entire band to be filled with separate vTX's without causing interference, every other brand is just re-tasking baby monitor vTX's without spending any time or money making them suitable for the FPV market.

The flysight vTX's do have one draw back, the antenna connection is butted-up against the RF chips circuit board and then soldered together, in other words this is a very weak link (one crash and it breaks) but it is easily overcome by adding a pigtail between your antenna and vTX (which you should be doing anyways on a mini).

I'm not telling you not to buy the $20 vTX, they are great value for the money, but if you regularly fly with more than one friend it is definitely worth spending the extra money on a Flysight
Last edited by Redemptioner; May 18, 2015 at 12:43 AM.
May 18, 2015, 04:17 AM
keep your wings in the sky

FR632 from Banggood is REV1.4

Hi Guys,

Got my FR632 today from banggood http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-FR632...-p-958097.html. First impression, this is superb, nicely done soldering, packaging box. etc.

I opened up the receiver right away just to see what version of fr632 from banggood is selling . And it says REV1.4 (though the website description says REV1.3). I ordered this item May12th 2015. See attachment.

I also measured the rssi between rx A and rx B. And this is what I found out:

RSSI RX A 449mv
RSSI RX B 476mv still favor B but not that large as to what the old version was
25mv difference.

Gonna test it tomorrow and will give my feedback.
May 18, 2015, 04:37 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Out of the 20 odd brands of vTX's we have tried (considerable time and money spent finding decent vTX's that play nice together) we found only 1 brand that works and that's flysight. I can have 7 of the flysight vTX's on in the same band and have no interference issues at all, even with a vTX right next to the receiver (we did a demonstration day with some decent pilots in order to prove it, now they all use the flysight vTX). These vTX's don't have "daughter" channels and don't transmit over a massive frequency band like everything else so you don't have any overlap between channels (an no measurable loss in range at all). If you need proof have a look at outputs on a decent meter and you will understand, the flysight vTX's were deliberately designed and made for FPV (hence the RC controlled channel change) to allow the entire band to be filled with separate vTX's without causing interference, every other brand is just re-tasking baby monitor vTX's without spending any time or money making them suitable for the FPV market.

The flysight vTX's do have one draw back, the antenna connection is butted-up against the RF chips circuit board and then soldered together, in other words this is a very weak link (one crash and it breaks) but it is easily overcome by adding a pigtail between your antenna and vTX (which you should be doing anyways on a mini).

I'm not telling you not to buy the $20 vTX, they are great value for the money, but if you regularly fly with more than one friend it is definitely worth spending the extra money on a Flysight

Does Flysight make a 600mw VTX? I have a hard time finding a good selection of that brand. Do you have a list of some good Flysight Stores?

May 18, 2015, 04:48 AM
From what I've read you can get away with using a lower power Vtx with flysight because of the tighter bandwidth of the transmission. Add to that sensible use of antenna/diversity and it should give you good performance on 200mw.
According to ibcrazy grounding the audio channels if not using them also really tightens up the transmission making it easier to get more people in the air.
May 18, 2015, 07:26 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmattbo
From what I've read you can get away with using a lower power Vtx with flysight because of the tighter bandwidth of the transmission. Add to that sensible use of antenna/diversity and it should give you good performance on 200mw.
According to ibcrazy grounding the audio channels if not using them also really tightens up the transmission making it easier to get more people in the air.

So you are saying that a 200mw FlySight will have the same range as a 600mw Immersion? Could you post your data to back up that claim, I would be interested at reviewing that data.

May 18, 2015, 07:32 AM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
....Sorry to say (and I apologies in advance) but a comment like that means there is no need to bother with "proof" so to speak, where is your proof it worked?

Normally I would ask "How many were in the air at once and how much was their range affected" but I think most people who have flown with more than 2 other people at one time could see right through your comment.....

The wide spectrum and "daughter" channels means these cheap vTX's (like just about every other vTX on the market) only allows 2 people in the air at any given time before you start to drastically affect range, then add the fact that some are the 600mW stated and others are nearly 3 times that so there is a game of chance on how bad you will affect your mates. I know for fact you won't be flying with more than 3 people total and not have major issues with range and interference even if you have spread yourself as far apart on the 32 channels as possible, even with 3 people in the air you still have a big drop in range.
I can vouch for the claim. We had 5 or 6 wings in the air at once, I think all but 1 on 5.8. I think there is in flight video, but might not be posted yet. but they were not 600 mw. HOWEVER ...we also had usually a minimum of 3 planes/quads in the air all weekend, mostly on 5.8, with power ranging from 200mW to 600mW or more. A lot of misconceptions I had about 5.8 were busted this weekend.
Last edited by Rusty105; May 18, 2015 at 07:40 AM.

Quick Reply