Sep 13, 2018, 02:23 PM
RiBell,
Tomas is very responsive to questions posted on his VQWarbirds Facebook page!

Probably worth asking for a description of what changes VQ/Legend have actually made. I'm curious to hear what he has to say too!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2018, 02:14 PM
Tomas says the gondola structure was updated and is now laser cut. They've also changed to using genuine Hysol glue.

His other comments were regarding motor size...with regards to AUW. It is originally intended for glow .46-.55 2-stroke glow...maybe at most .60-.61 2-stroke, 4 stroke or electric equivalent. Bigger motors will go faster, but at the expense of flying quality. 20cc gas motors are waaaay overkill.
Oct 09, 2018, 07:14 AM
Raveon 15
Hi Guys.
I have just started to build this model and i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to get a good fit on the centre fuselage top cover it seems you have to bend it a lot to get it to fit is their a easier wayall help welcome. Ray.
Oct 10, 2018, 05:38 PM
Ray, I've got an earlier version but it it's similar, try trimming the opening in the gondola or trim the tongue from the center wing until it fits snuggly. I have to add a shim where you may need to take some material away. Mine still flies very nice so when who're done hope you enjoy. Bob
Oct 11, 2018, 01:24 AM
Raveon 15
Thanks very much Bob for that helpful info will try that and see how it works out. Ray.
Oct 11, 2018, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveon 15
Hi Guys.
I have just started to build this model and i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to get a good fit on the centre fuselage top cover it seems you have to bend it a lot to get it to fit is their a easier wayall help welcome. Ray.

Raveon...
I had an early version of the VQ Lightning that I sold. I now recognize that was a mistake and will get a replacement as a Christmas gift to myself.

Since you're working with the most current edition of the Legend P-38, I hope you'll give us progress reports and pictures.
Oct 15, 2018, 03:37 PM
Doesn't sound like there are many version 2's being worked on.... Has there been a new thread started for it separate from this one? Thanks
Oct 15, 2018, 04:02 PM
There have been several updated versions.

One was when the VQ P-38 was re-introduced as the Legend Model P-38. The main change (that I can think of) was it was redesigned to be electric-ready.

A few pilots still had issues with the wood structure within the central gondola separating from the fiberglass. Tomas/VQ Warbirds out of Texas recently said the wood structure had been redesigned, is now laser cut and is glued in-place with genuine Hysol epoxy. I believe the four flaps are now driven by four individual servos. Those are enough updates for me to get back in the game!

That said, I'm not sure what designation is appropriate for the current version. Has anyone purchased one the last few months that has the above mentioned updates? Raveon... is yours the "latest version"?
Last edited by ode guy; Oct 15, 2018 at 04:07 PM.
Oct 15, 2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks Ode, my reference to a "V2" was for this latest version with enhanced center gondola and newer flap arrangement.
Oct 16, 2018, 11:23 AM
Raveon 15
Hello Ode Guy.
Yes mine is the latest version with 2 servos on each wing for the flaps i am going to power it with 2 emax gt 4030/08 350kv motors and 80 amp esc and 6s 4200ma 35c rated batteries i wont be using retracts or flaps what do you suggest i power the servos with a seperate battery or remove the red wire from one of the escs any advice would be helpful. regards Ray.
Oct 16, 2018, 12:11 PM
Ray, man... I'm excited for you! By your description, it looks like you're trying to keep it light. Is that your goal?

I sold mine before assembly, so I can' speak to the best options for powering the servos.

The great news is there are a bunch of folks on this thread who have completed theirs! How about sharing your experiences with Ray?
Last edited by ode guy; Oct 16, 2018 at 04:20 PM.
Oct 16, 2018, 07:27 PM
Ray,
I powered my servos through the ESC and robots with a separate batt. I'm thinking of just powering everything through the batt. I mean it's a 4K so I it's not pulling that much os a load anyway. She still flies great and the best landings of many of my warbirds. Once down she stays down. Beautiful thing! Enjoy! Bob
Oct 16, 2018, 07:35 PM
I would either run a BEC pro, or a separate RX pack. You didn't mention what ESC you are using, but that's a lot of plane to trust to an internal BEC.
Since there are already two flight packs, I like to run a powersafe RX and a Castle BEC Pro on each side for redundancy. Castle's new BECs are smaller and lighter, but I only have a couple flights using them. So far so good, but been using the Castle Pros for years, and they are rock solid units...knock on wood
Oct 16, 2018, 08:22 PM
Mike,
Hmmmm... I'm back in the learning mode. Castle BEC Pro. Just looked it up.

Do you run one per motor/side with each powered by the flight battery pack? To power the servos on that side?

What is a powersafe RX?
Oct 16, 2018, 09:09 PM
Powersafe RX is a Specktrum/JR DSM RX that has two battery inputs, several different models of powersafe RXs. https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...iver-spmar9110
The two inputs are isolated from each other, so if one if one battery completely fails, or shorts out, the other will continue ot power the RX. You can do the same thing with diodes, and there is a thread showing it here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...or-Giant-Scale

In my Yellow, I run one powersafe RX, positioned in the middle. There are two power input to the RX, one goes to a Castle Pro BEC on the left, and one on the right. I try to alternate plugging in flight pack to confirm both BECs are working. In my F-18, BEC output will be connected to on side nav light. A tell to confirm that both are working

It is important to note that two BECs need to be isolated from each other.

Quick Reply