Jun 03, 2015, 10:15 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
Is there a way on the oem TX that will change from high to low - by switch or stick movement or something like that?
Yeah, that had been my original question. But I found it. If you toggle the upper left shoulder button you will see an "L" changes to "H" and back at the top left of the display.
Last edited by hard line; Jun 03, 2015 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2015, 12:04 PM
25+ years of RC flying
Received mine today. Just 11 days after placing the order with Amazon.com and the price was actually cheaper than through Banggood. Plus the order was absolutely correct. Blue version with LEDs.

This thing is just too cute! Did a dry fit and it looks great. Also figured out how to fit the camera. Will be correcting the port/starboard red/green LED situation though. My wife has tiny hands and is very meticulous. When I explained what was wrong she immediately volunteered to make the change.

Very cool little plane. Should be loads of fun!
Jun 06, 2015, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357
Will be correcting the port/starboard red/green LED situation though. My wife has tiny hands and is very meticulous. When I explained what was wrong she immediately volunteered to make the change.
Thank you! Improper nav light color is a pet peeve. By the way, a wife like that is a keeper.

Rick
Last edited by Ricomon; Jun 07, 2015 at 07:24 AM.
Jun 06, 2015, 10:42 PM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357
Received mine today. Just 11 days after placing the order with Amazon.com and the price was actually cheaper than through Banggood. Plus the order was absolutely correct. Blue version with LEDs.

This thing is just too cute! Did a dry fit and it looks great. Also figured out how to fit the camera. Will be correcting the port/starboard red/green LED situation though. My wife has tiny hands and is very meticulous. When I explained what was wrong she immediately volunteered to make the change.

Very cool little plane. Should be loads of fun!
The LEDs on the main wing are easily swappable from left to right, but the ones at the rear wing is very difficult. I was impatient and I ripped the LED strip apart.

You have an awesome wife.

I had more fun flying at night than during the day. I really miss those days...
Jun 07, 2015, 11:54 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I'm going to have to be a little more careful flying this in the wind. For some reason while flying upwind, the gusts and buffets turn it. I let it get a bit too far away down wind today and when I tried to get it to come back orientation was a problem and I had to fly by formula. If it's going left, turn left. Going right, turn right. Eventually I made it back to me but forward speed wasn't much faster than wind speed, so it was a bit of a battle. Especially when the gusts kept turning it around.

I should have flown it only upwind, but that was into a low morning sun, so that was no fun either. But all's well that ends well.
Jun 08, 2015, 08:52 PM
25+ years of RC flying
Flew mine around the yard a little this afternoon. Learned a couple things.
  • The little plane takes up more room than I expected when flying.
  • My yard isn't big enough to fly this little guy!
Was fortunate enough to avoid the trees though.

On the tech side... I had the video camera mounted up front. It made the CG perfect with the battery all the way forward. No trim adjustments needed at all.

And it seems that the video in the camera sometimes loses sync with the audio.
Jun 08, 2015, 09:56 PM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Thread OP
Your yard?! Wow! I flew mine over half of a soccer field. I thought that was sufficient to be able to enjoy flying F959.
Jun 09, 2015, 06:01 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
Your yard?! Wow! I flew mine over half of a soccer field. I thought that was sufficient to be able to enjoy flying F959.
Yeahh... it was pretty tight. No real room to maneuver. I'd started out just doing a quick toss of the plane from the top of the stairway to see how it glided. A few of those led to adding a "bit" of power to check performance. And it went on from there. Flew it mostly in a straight line but did get it turned around a couple times. Managed to avoid getting it stuck in a tree and quit while I was ahead! LOL

Video from the onboard cam.

Maiden flights 8 Jun 15b (1 min 3 sec)
Jun 09, 2015, 09:08 PM
Have Copter, Will Crash. :)

First plane and kaplow! :)

So I finally ordered this beauty! It's my first airplane! Been flying helis and quads for a while, and flew planes in Sims so figured I'd give this one a go! Lots of fun, but pretty sluggish on lift and turns, had to move the servo arm to highest notch for elevators!

On the fourth or so crash the propeller piece flew off and got broken off from the motor... no idea how I can re-attach it... it's broken... any ideas? Help?
Jun 09, 2015, 09:30 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Go to BangGood.com and enter F959 in their search engine to see the list of spares. The prop & spinner is just $3 shipped. Check to see if your motor shaft is bent. Might want to get a motor too.

As to sluggish, did you find and use the dual-rate switch? Sounds like you may have been flying just in low rates. If you crash or land hard, be sure to check the wings are still seated before re-launching. They can shift around some and it flies a little funny. Four crashes seems like a lot. Is your flying area cramped or something? Maybe go find a big place to fly until you're proficient. I kinda thought this was a hard plane to crash.
Jun 10, 2015, 01:20 PM

Help! Rotor repair!

Hey Hardline, yeah I already ordered the replacement pro.
I did know about the dual rates, but found it had slightly better response but it flew too fast for moi

I ended up changing the servo arm notch so that it has more give on Low rate. Now my issue is how to repair t his bird... Photos attached for help! lol

The four crashes were not in one sitting! lol, but the flying space is definitley very cramped for this air bus! Trees very nearby!
Jun 10, 2015, 01:39 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
If you want to try to save that (like maybe until the spare shows up), perhaps you can wrap the hub with a strip of tape to form a mold. Find a drill bit the same size as the motor shaft, coat the back part of the bit with oil or pet jelly, and stick it into the plastic. Now fill the mold with epoxy and maybe you have a useful part.

Another possibility is call rcfunlabs and see if his propsaver kit can be installed prop-backwards. Measure your motor shaft first -- he has adapters for 1mm and 1.5mm I believe. It won't be folding, but it should survive crashes better.
Jun 11, 2015, 09:28 AM
You can save it by inserting another tube with adequate diameter. Pen tube, Evergreen styrene tube, Plastruct styrene tube, brass tube. Just cut that broken bit off, drill a new hole, etc.

If you dont want to go through that, you have a direct replacement of Banggood. And you might as well get some other props of the same diameter to give a try. Since you are flying in a crammed area, I'd say you're loosing response with that folding mechanism. A 5045 or 4045 prop might give you better response.

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-F959-...-p-978255.html

http://www.banggood.com/2-Pairs-Gemf...-p-975231.html
http://www.banggood.com/5x4_5-2-blad...-p-953843.html

Ps: if you're thinking of thrashing that prop, I'd gladly take it
Jun 24, 2015, 08:20 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Don't know if this is new or I just haven't been watching, but BangGood is selling BNF's with free USA shipping for $55.

Spare plane ordered.
Jun 25, 2015, 01:40 PM

Flying & Repairing :)

Thanks @hard line & @FranciscoB I managed to clear that bit of plastic covering the drilled/hole in the propeller cone and then epoxy'd the heck out of it with the motor! hahah

On the "Flip" side, I lost the wing "strut" if that's what you call it! (the piece of carbon fiber stick that runs along the two wings and through the main body) ... and had to use a makeshift stick/twig (shaved into form)... flies almost too aggressively now because the wings droop a little... But I don't see any option to order a replacement err... "wing strut"

The wings and body are starting to wear down anyway... any suggestions on the "next step"?... I saw a volantex glider... and seem to see their brand pop up in a lot of places...

Out of curiousity, are all airplane bodies made out of Styrofoam?

Quick Reply