May 12, 2015, 09:33 PM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG
The existing lens is very small. I don't think it's possible but I wish you luck! The onboard camera is pretty bad; not only the narrow FOV but the color reproduction and noise too. It may be better to mount a Mobius there instead.
As long as it gets here so that I can experiment, I'll be happy.

I do have a Mobius but I'll have to check out how much weight the little plane can handle.

This is the type of fisheye lens I'm talking about. Not this exact one, but I did buy a similar set for my #808 v9 camera last year. Pretty much the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Fish...e+fisheye+lens

I mounted the wide angle version on the 808 and it works fairly well. The quality is obviously nothing like the Mobius, but it's fine for the application. I just sorta slopped on some epoxy and it's stayed put for the last year. Have also used that setup as a hat cam as well.

Like so:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Fish...e+fisheye+lens
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2015, 09:46 PM
Vids: YouTube.com/FyreSG
Thread OP
The stock camera lens is very small relative to your proposed wide-angle lens attachment. The actual opening for light to enter is approx. 2mm in diameter. Compare the lens opening with the tiny white plug to the right. If you're familiar with the size of the white plug especially how far apart each of the 4 pins are in the plug, you can estimate the size of the lens.

Even if you managed to attach the two together, the difference in size will greatly reduce the wide-angle effect. I tried to do something similar and the result was not worth the effort.

The problem is Mobius is finding a suitable mount point. The current camera location is unsuitable because Mobius is heavier and will make the plane too nose-heavy. We need to flatten (or cut?) part of the top to attach our Mobius.
Last edited by FyreSG; May 12, 2015 at 09:51 PM.
May 12, 2015, 10:02 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I just pulled the trigger on one of these planes. Now the long wait. Couple questions: Is it practical to regularly remove the wings for car transport?

How flexible on alternate batteries? I have many, but they're all a little smaller or a little bigger.
May 12, 2015, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
The wings are easy to remove and put them back. I do that all the time. The only problem is they get a little loose after some time, but that is unlikely a problem as the plane doesn't (shouldn't? ) fly aggressively.

I don't think there are problems using alternate batteries. If they are 2S and they fit, they'll work. Only need to work on the balance, which isn't that difficult as there is ample space for the battery to shift forward / backward.
May 13, 2015, 06:15 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
The stock camera lens is very small relative to your proposed wide-angle lens attachment. The actual opening for light to enter is approx. 2mm in diameter. Compare the lens opening with the tiny white plug to the right. If you're familiar with the size of the white plug especially how far apart each of the 4 pins are in the plug, you can estimate the size of the lens.

Even if you managed to attach the two together, the difference in size will greatly reduce the wide-angle effect. I tried to do something similar and the result was not worth the effort.

The problem is Mobius is finding a suitable mount point. The current camera location is unsuitable because Mobius is heavier and will make the plane too nose-heavy. We need to flatten (or cut?) part of the top to attach our Mobius.
Dangit, I forgot to order a spare couple of canopies! I wanted to use them for camera mount test options. Ah,well.

Looking forward to getting this little guy. Banggood was the only one that offered the LED lights plus the camera. Here's hoping I get it all quickly.
May 18, 2015, 01:17 PM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
Battery appears to be of a proprietary dimensions. Be sure to insert the battery fully. When fully inserted, the battery is completely hidden from view. Take note or you have a tail-heavy plane (not good!)
Thanks for the review. Could you post the battery dimensions?
May 18, 2015, 08:56 PM
Canoe, here is the F959 battery dimension: 11.59*42.78*16.88MM http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-F959-...-p-976664.html
Last edited by TS Banggood RC; May 18, 2015 at 09:24 PM.
May 19, 2015, 01:45 PM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin
Canoe, here is the F959 battery dimension: 11.59*42.78*16.88MM http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-F959-...-p-976664.html
Thanks much! Ordered the F959, probably will grab some batteries from HobbyKing of the appropriate dimensions. Either of these 2 should work nicely:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

with this adapter (don't we all have these anyway):

http://www.banggood.com/RC-Model-Uni...-p-972719.html

The JST plug on these also allows easier charging on a real charger instead of the crappy included one. Really the 45C battery would be overkill as this motor isn't going to draw much (and the 35C battery is 2g lighter). The original battery is probably 20C or less.
May 19, 2015, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
I'm a little curious - why don't you get the stock battery?
May 20, 2015, 10:51 AM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
I'm a little curious - why don't you get the stock battery?
Stock batteries are generally of pretty low quality. The nano-techs (and other brand names) are much better in my experience. Also I'd rather have the JST connector that's common on this type of battery. The included chargers on almost any RTF are poor, many outright dangerous. I'd rather be able to use my balance charger which includes a standard JST connection. For people getting into the hobby, buy a decent charger. I have a 4x charger for 1S (3.7v) batteries and a balance charger for everything else. I think it's a good investment for both safety and battery life.
May 20, 2015, 11:17 AM
BangGood has raised price of subj and made only EMS shipping available(
May 20, 2015, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
I never use the stock chargers too, but charging the 2S Losi-connector battery on my Accucel-6 is not difficult. Simply get an adapter / harness that plugs into your JST-to-banana, and the other end is a bunch of Losi connectors. It depends what models you fly before you decide JST as the "standard". Most of my micros are Losi connectors.

The key point here is F959 does not need high quality batteries, unlike high performance models. Given F959 is a 3-channel, beginner's glider, you are unlikely going to push F959 to its limit, and drawing high current.
May 20, 2015, 11:43 AM
Rum River watershed
Quote:
I never use the stock chargers too, but charging the 2S Losi-connector battery on my Accucel-6 is not difficult. Simply get an adapter / harness that plugs into your JST-to-banana, and the other end is a bunch of Losi connectors. It depends what models you fly before you decide JST as the "standard". Most of my micros are Losi connectors.

The key point here is F959 does not need high quality batteries, unlike high performance models. Given F959 is a 3-channel, beginner's glider, you are unlikely going to push F959 to its limit, and drawing high current.
I agree, as mentioned above no high C needed for the F959, but will probably also be using these for other models too. Lately it seems only the very bottom end quads at least are using Losi, almost everything else that I've seen is going to JST. In fact almost all the new WLtoys quads are JST (V686, V636, V262, V333, V666, etc.). Don't know why they went back to Losi for this one. BTW, the better nano-tech batteries are actually less expensive than stock and I feel much higher quality. In the end it's whatever works out best for each of us. I have JST/Losi adapters already that I use with the Hitec 4x 1S charger, that will also connect the JST battery to the F959. BTW, for anyone reading this, so as not to confuse: that charger will not work with these batteries. A balance charger is necessary. Come to think of it, personally have never seen the micro Losi connector on a 2S battery before...
May 20, 2015, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
If you have a bunch of stuff to get from HK, then it makes great money sense to buy their batteries.

Yup, Losi on 2S is very rare. But in my recent review of CX-90A, a powerful 3D helicopter, it comes with a 2S Losi-connector battery. This is unusual because high current draw models need JST connectors.

(Top: CX-90A 2S, Losi-connector battery)
May 22, 2015, 05:38 AM
25+ years of RC flying
Hey guys, anyone know where I can get this in the blue version, Mode 2 with LEDs in stock?

I just got word from Banggood.com that my order is back ordered because they don't have it in stock and they don't know when it will come back in stock.

I'd prefer the blue one but the orange one will be acceptable, so long as it has the LEDs.

Any tips?

Quick Reply