This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 27, 2014, 08:53 PM
Thread OP
Idea

flying tail ( aka stabilator) vs stab and elevator

i started a thread on the subject, trying to learn which 1 is better. at another forum i got data that allowed me to fully understand the differences. see: http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-1992-03.pdf (page 20). the point is that i wanted to know which is better and why, and now i got that. the most important thing is that, besides being more sensitive than stab/elevator, when giving 'down' commands it falls into negative decalage, that is, negative incidence respect to the wing, and that means unstable conditions, that may place the plane in critical situations.
i have been testing it, and have learned that the plane behaves erratic, i think due to this situation. there are also other factors that contribute to making this less convenient, and that is regarding to structure, as it is either fragile or heavier, tends to flex too much and vibrate, more difficult to build and repair, so i think i will stick with the conventional stab/elevator,
again, my view is that perhaps for full size airplanes that fly in transonic regime it is not only better but necessary due to the shock wave near speed of the sound, but not for models.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Nov 10, 2014 at 08:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2014, 11:33 AM
Waste Nothing
Phil :

This is very interesting stuff . I always wanted to try this stabiator set-up . Negative declage ? Although tI am not really sure as to a solution , perhaps some ANHEDRAL in the stabilator would work . Like the tail end of an F4 Phantom .

Just an idea .

Rick
Oct 28, 2014, 01:50 PM
Thread OP

another axis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC_RCAV8R
Phil :

This is very interesting stuff . I always wanted to try this stabiator set-up . Negative declage ? Although tI am not really sure as to a solution , perhaps some ANHEDRAL in the stabilator would work . Like the tail end of an F4 Phantom .

Just an idea .

Rick
thank you for your input.
problem is, that stab is in the transversal axis, and anhedral-or dihedral is in the longitudinal axis. 2 different worlds.

Quick Reply