Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 27, 2014, 12:13 AM
AMA - 734492
Build Log

StevensAero - Pietenpol Sky Scout (480)

Well, I think I'm going to build the StevensAero Pietenpol Sky Scout found here.

I haven't purchased it yet but I'm certain I am going to start building it next month. In the meantime, I thought I'd start my thread and discuss this model a little bit if anyone is interested. One thing I've been noticing and thinking is that while this IS a scale plane, its a homebuilt design and you can still get the plans today! Pretty cool, but why I bring this up is that from a scale perspective, I would think one would have a LOT of leeway because if you built one yourself, you could and probably would personalize it to an extent therefore there is no "set in stone" version of this aircraft other than "classic" and "modern" I'd suspect.

One of the things that I've been thinking about is the engine. I understand why they used a Model A engine 70 some years ago, I understand why this model has it incorporated, but if I were to build a real Sky Scout today, I think I would use a modern engine and dump that massive radiator in the front of the windshield! Two reasons, aesthetics and aerodynamics (and in the real one, I'd want to SEE forwards lol) Also, I've read where guys built 1/4 scale models of the Pietenpol and when they removed the big radiator they noticed a massive improvement in performance because of the reduced drag and increased tail control especially at slow speeds. Any thoughts on that and/or this model? I've seen a thread or two where people built this model but not many...

Eric
Last edited by EricClark; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2014, 12:16 AM
AMA - 734492
This is the color scheme I think I'm going to base mine off of. Either copy this exactly or modify slightly. Again, anything goes I think.
Oct 27, 2014, 12:32 AM
AMA - 734492
This image right here sold me on this model. Beautiful frame work.

I've built SA models in the past and the quality is top notch.
Oct 27, 2014, 08:24 AM
If you search around on the net you'll find a lot of Pietenpols with various powerplants. My next ones will have a typical 4cyl acft engine 'bulge' on each side.

Don't know how the radiator affects things. My 58" Aircamper has the 'model A' with radiator and flies very well. I like having the extra drag. Never fly it very fast anyway. They are supposed to be slow planes. Besides, the engine makes a nice 'handle' for the battery hatch

FWIW, you also have a large selection of wheels. Full size they run from chrome spoke wheels to typical light plane balloon tires, to small 'tundra' tires, with or without brakes. I even saw one with flaps, although I have no idea why they would need them.

Have fun with the build. For slow flying around and touch n goes the Pietenpol is the best plane I have ever built/flown. It is so nice I have considered building a full size.

charlie
Oct 27, 2014, 10:41 AM
AMA - 734492
Cool, I figured as much. One thing about the radiator is that I know from personal experience that if one puts a big rectangular block in front of the tail feathers is does effect the stability and controlability to an extent. I put an action cam on my zero one time above the cockpit and it messed up the tail control authority so bad I ended up spinning in while trying to land. I'm sure the Pietenpol isn't this drastic, but at a minimum, the radiator creates a lot of drag and must affect air flow over the tail somewhat.

And a 4 cylinder engine is exactly what I'm thinking....

And tundra tires or something might be cool too..... I'm definitely planning on putting skis or buying the float kit as well, as I want to fly off snow with this airplane.

Eric
Oct 27, 2014, 11:04 AM
Egad, you reminded me of my old 40+inch House of Balsa Pietenpol with OS .10 engine. Was stable and one of the easiest to fly models ever. The Model A Ford radiator and and 4-banger engine add a lot to the quirky scale look. There are some cool videos on You Tube showing various power setups.
Oct 27, 2014, 11:38 AM
Canvas Falcons Forever
The original Sky Scout was powered with a Model T engine, which weighed a bit more than the Model A engine. Bernie Pietenpol said you could use a Model A engine if none of the Ts were available, but you'd have to add noseweight.

Good luck with your build; it looks like a nice kit.
Oct 27, 2014, 01:46 PM
Arrowhead
I've built their UM Aircamper, which is a fantastic indoor plane. So I have to say the 480 Scout has been tempting me greatly! I'll be watching with interest...
Oct 27, 2014, 01:56 PM
Subscribed!
My first ride was in my dad's old Pietenpol. I have a picture of dad and I in the plane and I am so young I can't remember it. That plane always hold a soft spot for me

I built a Dumas one a few years ago and they are a great plane to fly.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Oct 27, 2014, 02:49 PM
AMA - 734492
Wow, there seems to be a lot of interested in this Pietenpol... cool!

So here is what they recommend for electronics and what I have:

Recommended/My Choice

4-6 Channel Rx / Spektrum AR6115e
2x HITEC HS50 (Ailerons) (Discontinued)/ HS-55 or HS-5055MG
2x HITEC HS55 (Rud-Elv) / HS-55 or HS-5055MG
Hacker A20-20L / SAME
CC Phoenix 25 (Discontinued) / CC Talon 25
Hyperion 3S 1300mah / Admiral 3S 1300mah (link)
APC 9x4.7 prop / Varioprop with SF blades

Also I have purchased a GT Power Lighting System (link) just for fun. Always wanted to light up a plane, never have, but I've seen people in my club flying at dusk with full lighting and it looks amazing.

Eric
Last edited by EricClark; Oct 27, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Oct 27, 2014, 07:51 PM
Mark S. Young
Hi Eric!

I designed the Sky Scout for Bill. Hope you enjoy building it. The radiator didn't seem to affect the flying qualities at all. As for the HS-50 servos - enlarge the holes and use HS-55's.

Mark
Oct 27, 2014, 07:54 PM
AMA - 734492
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSYoung
Hi Eric!

I designed the Sky Scout for Bill. Hope you enjoy building it. The radiator didn't seem to affect the flying qualities at all. As for the HS-50 servos - enlarge the holes and use HS-55's.

Mark
Thanks Mark that was what I was wondering, didn't know if the 55s would fit or if you guys just designed in smaller servos for the weight.
Last edited by EricClark; Oct 27, 2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Question was answered right as I posted
Oct 27, 2014, 07:56 PM
Canvas Falcons Forever
Subscribed!
Oct 27, 2014, 08:17 PM
AMA - 734492
For a dummy engine I'm thinking something like the MZ-301 pictured below used in ultralight aircraft. I can draw something up like it in Solidworks with inline cylinders and mill it out real quick on the cnc and have an aluminum dummy engine that should look quite convincing!

Eric
Nov 03, 2014, 02:09 PM
AMA - 734492
Buying the kit this week, soon as I get paid! Can't wait to get started on the build.