Oct 26, 2014, 07:23 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Free Wing Stinger 90 Canopy Upgrade.

This thread covers the assembly of the free wing Stinger 90 cockpit upgrade offered from Parkflyerplastics http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=711
This canopy upgrade replaces the original canopy / hatch so you can keep the old one as a spare.
If you don’t have magnets laying around you will have to salvage the pair from the original though.
The upgrade is a tad heavier than the original by about .4 Oz. However it does increase the airspace above the battery compartment a bit.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2014, 07:24 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
First a few “rules”
Don’t use CA and kicker on the white plastic, it will crack. It really messes with the polymers in the plastic.
When you detail the cockpit the paint will want to show your brush strokes, that is because it is smooth. A light coat of primer will prevent this.

A Light coat of primer because the area behind the torso’s shoulders gets thin. A heavy coat could melt thru the plastic here (Pencil tips marks the spots Below. )
Oct 26, 2014, 07:25 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Cut the tips and the sides of the cockpit tub so it can be placed on the fuselage.
There is way more plastic than we need here but it acts like a bib to keep your fuselage clean and helps to position the tub on the model .
Oct 26, 2014, 07:27 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Cut the front end of the square recess formed in the front end of the cockpit tub. Scuff up the inside of the recess with sandpaper, 180 grit is enough
Oct 26, 2014, 07:29 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
A apply gorilla glue to the recess but don’t go crazy with it. (Epoxy works too). Slide the wood block into the recess without getting glue on the front end and then slide it forward into the recess in the fuselage nose.

B back tomorrow with more.
Oct 27, 2014, 04:15 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
I found that the cockpit tub was a bit flimsy as is. I was counting on the instrument panel and canopy to stiffen up this area when it was designed. Rather than risking starting over I bonded the balsa plate to the top of the installed wood block and it worked very well. Just keep it centered so the instrument panel can be bonded to the cockpit tub.
Oct 28, 2014, 06:44 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Wow... looks very cool.
Oct 28, 2014, 04:48 PM
Retired US Navy
Sparks, what primer can we use? In general what spray can we use? My wife has plastic craft paints that look good and is acrylic so it should be safe. Would acrylic spay paints be good and pond? Will the same paints work with the white plastic which I assume is polystyrene and the clear canopy which I don't know what it is.
To paint the white canopy frame do you suggest paint from the inside or on the outside and remembering my r/c car days is a special paint needed for it to stick? We washed the bodies with soapy water before painting, is that enough?

And gluing the canopy to the pan? Canopy glue? Dries clear...

More in the build series would be great.
Last edited by Evan D; Oct 28, 2014 at 04:54 PM.
Oct 29, 2014, 08:07 AM
Watt me worry?
What I did for painting the cockpit was to spray an olive green paint on the whole area. I didn't spray a primer but Sparks is the expert here and I would follow his lead. The darker paint helps later on if you want to paint the uniform on the pilot a darker color....one coat worked . I then painted the instruments and other little areas. The assembly of the up-grade is simple even a 3rd grader plastic model builder could handle it. Best I can say if this up-grade is too hard for you ....then stick with the butt-ugly stock canopy. I used AS-6 Spray Olive Drab (USAAF)TAM86506 Tamiya spray paint.

As for painting the canopy inside or outside. If you are using the dull military paints on your plane you might want to paint the canopy on the outside so as to keep all paint dull.
Oct 29, 2014, 09:32 AM
Retired US Navy
Thanks for the kind words about me being a 3rd grade builder and it being too hard for me to build. I don't know where you got that from with my questions but it has been a while since I built a plastic model, around 40 years. I just would like to know the best way to build and paint it and I thought this thread would be the best place to ask.

I am not painting my Stinger, leaving it the original white, red and a splash of silver. So I guess best to paint the canopy on the inside? What are you using to attach the canopy to the pan? I was thinking canopy glue as it dries clear. I was thinking a white primer as I want to match the Stinger white fuselage. Would enamel or acrylic be best? I would think since it's plastic and will flex something flexible.
Oct 29, 2014, 09:54 AM
Redneck Injuneer
C'mon guys. Lets not stir the pot and trash the thread. I subbed to it when I 1st saw it but avoided typing anything because I didn't want to disrupt the instructions.

Edit: Hmmm Sparks still hasn't made it back. I'm trying to figure out what to do with what I'm guessing are the headrests? Seems like the angle they are on is going to tip them too far forward.
While we wait, I did bookmark his original post in the Stinger thread which might help for some of the assembly. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4720
Last edited by bill34207; Oct 31, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
Oct 31, 2014, 07:11 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Sorry, I normally type this up during breaks at work.
The last two weeks I've been in 787 school.
consistency is key to retention.
Oct 31, 2014, 07:12 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Line the fuselage with glad wrap sandwich wrap over the magnet locations and drop your magnets in place. Put the cockpit tub over them to check for interference, adjust so the tub is seated completely on the fuselage .
Rough sand the bottom of the cockpit tub near the aft end where what looks like oxygen bottles.
Fill the “oxygen” bottles with 5 min epoxy and keep the cockpit tub upside down while you install it on the fuselage. I did it fast right side up then flipped it over but our desire here is for the epoxy to stay in the oxygen bottle recess.
Keep the fuselage upside down while holding the cockpit tub in place. It’s only for two songs on the radio and will be over before you know it.
I would have a better photo but my hands was full.
Give the cockpit a shot of primer then go ahead and start with the painting.
While the different colors dry . . . . . . . .
Oct 31, 2014, 07:14 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP
Green flat paint makes a good base cote but I go with gray so the canopy frame matches the interior.
Any one that can paint the inside panel lines and keep things matched up is aces in my book.
Oct 31, 2014, 07:16 PM
RC 4 Life
Thread OP

Pilot heads

Trimming the heads is easier than you would think.
I put a sheet of wet/dry 180 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, give it a small puddle of water and sand the back of the head half until the material gets thin at the edges. This makes the material very thin and easy to cut with a hobby knife.
I’ve been told that you can hold the heads against an orbital sander to do the same thing.
Haven’t tried it because of the “control” you get my way.
Hold it up to a bright light and you can see where the edges are getting thin.

Quick Reply