Thread Tools
Dec 16, 2014, 12:44 PM
Registered User
Crazycanuck_r's Avatar
Hello everybody,

Just wanted to post a link to this article while we wait with the best drone videos of 2014. It's off topic of the Q500 I know but I sure did enjoy these videos. My favorites were 2, 4, 6 and 9. Enjoy!

http://qz.com/303853/the-17-best-dro..._variant=False
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2014, 03:20 PM
Registered User / FAA107
Price4Flight's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV119
I have been beta testing a Q500 for over a month now and have really enjoy flying it. It certainly has some "unique" features about it. Sorry for the pun. I like the fact that it has its own 4.5" Android touch screen built into the radio. It is very easy to see even when it was sunny out and I don't have to mount my phone to the transmitter. The fact that it is at the bottom of the radio was not a issue at all for me. It has a good solid feel all around. It has a rotation slider on left side for Gimbal control and on the right for linear control of all axis. I found the linear control very useful when you want to control the quad at a slower and more subdued rate for filming or if you are a beginner pilot and just want a slower pace. The nice thing is you can adjust this rate control on the fly. I found the 1080P 60fps rate of the camera to be very good and rival my GoPro at that resolution. I also found the camera to be extremely stable at all extremes I was flying. I also like the fact that I can switch between filming and snapshots on the fly by the 2 separate buttons on the top. Snapshots have about a 3 second delay between shots (about the same as my Phantom2V+. )Another feature I like on the Radio is that it has GPS built into it which allows for it to have a Radar type function to always point to "Home Position" via a green arrow on the touch screen. Very useful if you can not tell orientation. With that said it is hard to lose orientation because of its size and flashing LEDs at the corners. (looks great at night)

I think the styling of the Q500 frame is awesome. I am tired of all the Phantom looking quads out there. This is a fresh new look and a different approach from other manufacturers. They are truly giving you a "Ready to Fly" Quad. No viewing screen needed. Another advantage with this quad is it is quiet. I was amazed at how quiet it was compared to my Walkera Scout and Phantom 2V+.
Overall I think that this is a real game changer. Yuneec is out to make a mark with their products starting with the Q500.
A real game changer? It has the same camera as the Blade QX3, it's much larger than a P2V making it harder to transport and impossible to carry on a plane. The FPV screen is tiny, would rather use my own iPad mini or regular iPad. I like the looks of this thing and I have been following Yuneec since they released this a year ago. I actually wanted to buy one, but I'm just not seeing what's so "game changing" about it.

And what about the price?
Dec 16, 2014, 03:54 PM
Registered User
Guess we will have to see when there are more out of them out there flying.
Dec 16, 2014, 04:03 PM
Registered User
Crazycanuck_r's Avatar
I actually wanted to buy one, but I'm just not seeing what's so "game changing" about it.

It's a game changer for those of us who want to see an alternative to DJI products.
Dec 16, 2014, 06:48 PM
Registered User
UAV119's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight
A real game changer? It has the same camera as the Blade QX3, it's much larger than a P2V making it harder to transport and impossible to carry on a plane. The FPV screen is tiny, would rather use my own iPad mini or regular iPad. I like the looks of this thing and I have been following Yuneec since they released this a year ago. I actually wanted to buy one, but I'm just not seeing what's so "game changing" about it.

And what about the price?
Yuneec is who builds the camera for Blade which is not a bad thing. The reason that I said game changer is for what it offers, to have a complete RTF solution for $1299. Some people do not want to have to clip their phone or tablet to a radio. It is complete with 2 batteries, 2 sets of props, AC/DC Charger, ST10 Radio w/sunshield & LiPo battery, Neckstrap and 8Gb SD card. It offers 1080P 60FPS that everyone wished the PhantomV2+ had. There are pros and cons to all of the quads out there and this will not appeal to everyone, but in my opinion I feel this offers a lot for the money and with more great options coming.
Dec 16, 2014, 07:02 PM
Registered User
UAV119's Avatar

Comparison Pics


Just so you can see the size difference between these 3 quads.
Phantom 2 V+ , Yuneec Q500 and Walkera Scout X4
Dec 16, 2014, 07:02 PM
Aerial Vision Systems
OzBlueDragon's Avatar
Well said my friend. I think also this is great value for money with what's included.
The real test will be when we get to test them which looking at Yuneec's other products they don't skimp on quality!
Let's hope it's soon.
I have 3 weeks off work as of this Friday and would love to put some solid time into testing this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV119
Yuneec is who builds the camera for Blade which is not a bad thing. The reason that I said game changer is for what it offers, to have a complete RTF solution for $1299. Some people do not want to have to clip their phone or tablet to a radio. It is complete with 2 batteries, 2 sets of props, AC/DC Charger, ST10 Radio w/sunshield & LiPo battery, Neckstrap and 8Gb SD card. It offers 1080P 60FPS that everyone wished the PhantomV2+ had. There are pros and cons to all of the quads out there and this will not appeal to everyone, but in my opinion I feel this offers a lot for the money and with more great options coming.
Dec 16, 2014, 07:23 PM
Hawk Fanatic
SkylineFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV119
Yuneec is who builds the camera for Blade which is not a bad thing. The reason that I said game changer is for what it offers, to have a complete RTF solution for $1299. Some people do not want to have to clip their phone or tablet to a radio. It is complete with 2 batteries, 2 sets of props, AC/DC Charger, ST10 Radio w/sunshield & LiPo battery, Neckstrap and 8Gb SD card. It offers 1080P 60FPS that everyone wished the PhantomV2+ had. There are pros and cons to all of the quads out there and this will not appeal to everyone, but in my opinion I feel this offers a lot for the money and with more great options coming.
$1299???? Your kidding right? It has less features than the Vision +, no? I didn't see mentioned, but I might of missed it, but does it have waypoints and autonomous flight?
Dec 16, 2014, 08:26 PM
Registered User
UAV119's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
$1299???? Your kidding right? It has less features than the Vision +, no? I didn't see mentioned, but I might of missed it, but does it have waypoints and autonomous flight?
Not yet. As when the Vision + came out it also did not have waypoint flying but was added as a software upgrade a few months later. The Vision + is $70 more and you need a smart phone for viewing. Not everyone needs waypoint flying and would take the tradeoff of better video quality and built in screen right now. They all have there pros and cons.
Last edited by UAV119; Dec 16, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
Dec 16, 2014, 09:05 PM
Registered User / FAA107
Price4Flight's Avatar
Cool, so it's $1299. I didn't see that price point yet. Thanks for that info.

So, I'm getting a 60 fps camera and the ability to use their built in screen without having to use my own. Surely that would appeal to the 1 in a million person who wants to fly a multirotor and has no smart phone.
Dec 16, 2014, 10:10 PM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV119
Just so you can see the size difference between these 3 quads. Phantom 2 V+ , Yuneec Q500 and Walkera Scout X4
Thanks for the pictures.
How is the power on these motors? Are they more like Phantom or Scout?
For example watching some of the videos on Align M480, their motor seemed pretty powerful.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:00 AM
Aerial Vision Systems
OzBlueDragon's Avatar
Mate if you don't like the designs and ideas of the Q500 then simply don't buy one.
Stick to your Phantom and enjoy it instead.
No need to bash this product here as this is not what this thread is about.
Thank you and have a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price4Flight
Cool, so it's $1299. I didn't see that price point yet. Thanks for that info.

So, I'm getting a 60 fps camera and the ability to use their built in screen without having to use my own. Surely that would appeal to the 1 in a million person who wants to fly a multirotor and has no smart phone.
Dec 17, 2014, 12:02 AM
Aerial Vision Systems
OzBlueDragon's Avatar
Ben, any news yet on who will get to help with the testing?
I'm sure there are lots of eager MultiRotor Pilots excited about this helping with the testing of this awesome product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat
Thanks for the pictures.
How is the power on these motors? Are they more like Phantom or Scout?
For example watching some of the videos on Align M480, their motor seemed pretty powerful.
Dec 17, 2014, 06:23 AM
Always Excel >>>
BenHayat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBlueDragon
Ben, any news yet on who will get to help with the testing?
I'm sure there are lots of eager MultiRotor Pilots excited about this helping with the testing of this awesome product.
I don't have any information from Yuneec. I know as much as you guys know.
Dec 17, 2014, 01:34 PM
Registered User
Crazycanuck_r's Avatar
Thanks for posting pictures UAV119 nice to see it side by side with a Phantom.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools