OpenSwift - 1m 3D Printed (mostly) flying wing - Page 4 - RC Groups
Mar 31, 2017, 11:17 AM
B for Bruce
There are a few threads in the Electric Planes forum about all 3D printed models assembled from printed sub sections.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-are-a-Reality

And a freshly created 3D printed planes sub forum! As in Fresh Today ! ! ! !

https://www.rcgroups.com/3d-printed-planes-1006/

Circuitgrove tried to apply 3D printing to basically making a somewhat conventional wood style build. It's certainly one way to do this but it still leaves the builder with a lot of work and a lot of need for traditional balsa or some other materials. The "shell" printing style seen in some other recent designs which include the covering by making the sub assemblies as fully printed stressed skin units is probably a good example of the other end of the spectrum. There is still a good amount of room in between for open structures printed as sub assemblies that then use inserted carbon rods, tubes or flat sections as longerons and spars and which are then covered with some sort of film. The idea of a mix of printed shapes reinforced with carbon that provides the actual load bearing might just result in structures that are not much heavier than some traditional wood designs.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 11:42 AM
Flavour of the Month.
3d printing is a sssllloooww process and the plastics typically used are V brittle.
Curiously no one mentions that.. do they?.
Industrial printers do Exquisite work .. seamless , identical to production parts, quality surfaces and of suitable to purpose durable plastics.
Also cost more than a 'large' house... often several.
Ones we see / can afford are playthings. Easy Baker kitchen set Vs a Commercial range
I won't be rushing out to buy a home printer.... this decade... at least.
Mar 31, 2017, 12:50 PM
B for Bruce
All those things are true.... for now....

These things all start out somewhere. I recall when the first cell phones the size of a lunch box came out. And look at where we've gone with that.

More than once I've wondered about the idea of two stage printing. Print a part then have the printer pause for the user to lay in a stiffener of carbon fiber rod and lightly bond it in place then click on "continue" or print an overlay to the original part so the stiffener is fully secured inside a part.

I'm sure there would be other tricks. And while it still may not be perfect for the reasons you suggest it's an interesting direction.

Me? I like the concept but I've got too many classic wood designs to build to get into it my self other than as a day dream related to the interesting technology and how to use it.
Apr 05, 2017, 08:55 PM
So far it appears that 3D printed airframes tend to be heavy, brittle and tail-heavy. Most prangs seem to result in "toss and reprint" as opposed to "apply CA and fly again".
Jun 18, 2017, 09:47 AM
Submarine Airplane!
Did you ever get a video of this? I'm currently designing a 3Dprinted Saiplane and I'm interested in the capacities for monokote and 3D printed part on a wing