Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 04, 2004, 05:41 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP

Multiplex Magister

LHS stage center, enter postman...
Postman brings boxes while I am there....
LHS guy opens boxes
I take contents of first box home....
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2004, 05:48 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
And that was I got....
Now to the think tank.
The first mod is obvious to me, I want independent aileron servos, one for each side.

SinceI have learned how helpfull power is when you crawl around on the edge off a stall, I want more power.. so its finding out what powerplant, also in respect to the fact that the Magister will be used to aerotow small gliders.
presently, I lean towards a Kontronik fun 480-33, geared.

Anybody else with a Magister please join the fun---
I am sure this is a great plane to explore!
May 04, 2004, 06:19 AM
excellent pictures. add more.

I am very curious about this plane. Which motor do you intend to put in?
May 04, 2004, 06:57 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
MPX suggests permax 680 geared 1:3. its a package with prop, I found no info on prop size.
re Motor: I have an AXI 2820/10 direct and a Kontronik fun 480/33 geared 1:4
Since the AXi is already designated to another plane, I'll probably go with the geared FUN 480. Offhand, I'd say I'll end up with something around 12x8 prop with 3S3P 1100 LiIon.
MPX suggest 8x3000 NiMh... thats why the plane ends up with 2380 g /84oz in electric vs 1950g/ 69oz glow
with 1100x3S3P Lipo or LiIon I can shave 250-300 (8,8-10,5oz) g off that.

More ideas are percolating in my head......
All in all, I have to say the plane looks well though out. I am impressed with the solutions they found to impart the loads from motor, gear (especially nose wheel) and removable (! )stab onto the foam airframe.
Last edited by splash99; May 04, 2004 at 07:01 AM.
May 04, 2004, 07:00 AM
sensitive artsy type
YESSSSSS, I am almost as excited as splash. I wonder if you have the only on in captivity. Be sure and take your time, no start now and you can finish before I finish my easy star. I will slow down, and we will debut on the same day, This Saturday, just kidding. The wheels look real nice, and the fuse looks oh so familiar.

It's Big, It's Multiplex, It's Elapor, and it's Yours. Must mention the ailerons. And right on the box it says that it is Robust. coooooool! When you take that thing up, all the parkflyers will land and watch, out of respect and fear. tt
May 04, 2004, 07:09 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
welcome tt
glad to have you on board.
I'm afraid I cant' answer as many questions as Bill Glover in your other thread...

Thanks for reminding me to go slow I'll have to go slow anyway....
I guess I can use Servos out of my pile of stuff lying around, but I'll need a new Rx, Lithium batteries, Li charger, .... and I have to think about the mods.
I guess I'll start with the obvious stuff, screwing and glueing bits and pieces together and dryfitting.. no glueing-fuse-halves-together for a while, don't worry.
May 04, 2004, 07:14 AM
sensitive artsy type
I posted a link to here from the TwinStar thread, as we had discussed it there as an aileron trainer, so maybe Bill Glover will post from time to time, and if I eagerly ask too many questions, you can tell me to shut up, and I wont mind. tt
May 04, 2004, 08:04 AM
It's a good looking plane, I've "flown" it on FMS - you can download both the simulator itself and some of the Multiplex models for it from the MPX website:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/

(Switch to English, then "Downloads, Software").

I like FMS as (a) it's free and (b) it runs on my PC. I don't do any gaming on my PC, so no 3D graphics card etc. which all the other simulators need.

Anyway I hope MPX learned some lessons from the earlier Skycat ... another very nice looking plane, but with a few problems!
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
May 04, 2004, 08:30 AM
SlopeHead
Splash

Take a pic of the Magister with the EZ* besides it, for scale...
Is it my impression or are the wings assembled the same way? But with a single aileron servo they are not dismountable, are they?

Ignore the last question, they are. The placement of the servo allows it to be unplugged, probably needing an extension. What size servos?
Last edited by jcosta; May 04, 2004 at 08:37 AM.
May 04, 2004, 10:35 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
sorry for the delay - the weatherforecast is bad , so I had to use the last bit of non-rainy weather and do some Elapor field testing with the ES.

Sorry tt
the Magister is still in my living room, i.e. 35 min by car from my workshed, but I couldn't resist...
that how the plane will look like, and some pics of how engine mount, firewall and nosegear mount are braced into the foam fuselage.
May 04, 2004, 10:49 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
Bill glover: Amen to that. I haven't flown the FMS Magister yet, thanks for the link. My serial to TX cable is I think at my brothers house....
did you find anything in the FMS simulation that made you wonder about its performance?

jcosta:
yes, the wingjoiner is setup in the same way.
re ailerons: I think the wing is small enough to transport in many cars without dissasembling, but it will only be one screw to unhook the other aileron pushrod.
I am tempted to install a second aileron servo in the other wing (just bc I like to make things more complex)

Good thing is the horizontal stab can be taken off easily.
now here are some size comparison shots, as requested (the things I do for you guys...)
May 04, 2004, 10:50 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
This should give you an impression.
I think its important to remember the Mag has about 3 times the mass of the ES, if "size" is to be compared.
May 04, 2004, 11:18 AM
NICE PICS! I want one on floats or skis!!
May 04, 2004, 11:19 AM
The Magister flies nicely in FMS. The Twin Jet in there flies pretty much like my real one, so hopefully the Magister is accurate too. I use an Ikarus Game Commander instead of my TX ... it's permanently connected to the PC, and I never have to worry about charging it.

Here are a couple of screen shots to inspire you to get on with the build!
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
May 04, 2004, 11:39 AM
Plane Crazy
Thread OP
Inspire? SCARE ME is what you do with that, Bill
I found the ES FMS also very accurat, so I am hopeful.
I think I have to steal my connector back..

rurat:
YES!
I have a set of floats that might just fit...
but that is for later.

Quick Reply