Aug 13, 2019, 06:04 PM
It's Tougher in Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart83
Hi Nick,

Glad you received the kit. Seems like it has quite a journey behind it. Really looking forward to see your Goose build and flying in beautiful Alaksa.

Bart
Thanks! Looking forward to this build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistairjoe
Looking at the all the pieces being lose in that box begs the question. Are the laser cut pieces tabbed when nested? Or just that the tabs are too small and break with flexing?
Hit or miss, some just fall out with little effort, others require an xacto blade. Some of the sheets looked like the laser ran over it twice, but it all looks good to me. I'm sure this box had it's fair share of beatings coming from across the pond. The first pic I posted was after I went through it all and reorganized it. You could not lift a sheet without pieces falling out of it - no biggie, just glad it survived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimmerr
And here is the video of the maiden:
https://youtu.be/_pzypQug4jc
Beautiful Goose!!! Thanks for sharing!!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 10:27 AM
Hi all
Yesterday I got the decals, and now the Goose is finished. Here are some final pictures. Now I'm lookong forward for the water maiden, maybe this weekend.
It was really fun to build the Goose, interesting and sometimes challenging. And worth every second working on it. Thank you Bart for this extraordinary model.
Cheers, Roger
Aug 15, 2019, 11:12 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thread OP
Your Goose really is a beauty Nice to hear you had fun with this build, thanks
What part of the build did you experience as challenging?

Kind regards,

Bart
Aug 15, 2019, 06:46 PM
GLM
GLM
AMA 209854
Looking good Wimmerr,

Love the colors!

Cheers!

Gary
Aug 16, 2019, 03:35 AM
Hi Bart

There was only one part concerning the kit that was challenging for me: Welding the hinges for the landing gear. I never did this before and I needed some trials an errors until it worked.
The other challenging parts were covering with red oracover (I always have problems with red oracover but not with other colors ), and finding a color scheme that I like and that is not used by everybody else.
So I had no serious problems.

@Nick and Gary: Thank you

Kind regards, Roger
Aug 18, 2019, 05:28 AM
Hi all
Yesterday I had my first flights from water. It was amazing . Even it was windy, everything went wll. Okay, the second landing was not picture book like, but nothing happened. And the goose is water tight, absolutely no water inside. My son took the videos, my wife some photos. Enjoy.

First water flight:
Grumman Goose, maiden from water (4 min 39 sec)

Second water flight:
Grumman Goose, second flight from water (7 min 16 sec)

Have a nice Sunday, Roger
Aug 18, 2019, 07:35 AM
Watch out for that planet....
Well done Roger!

I also have found getting the correct aproach angle to avoid the bounce is critical. I have found landing with some flap helps hold the nose up a little. If you get it right the hull should touch the water back near the step.

I need to laterally balance my model, the right wing is heavier than the left (don't know how I did that!) and it sits on the right float on the water. I hate to add lead to the left tip but that is what it needs.

Yours looks well balanced on the water.

I took the below photos ( actually my buddy did, with my camera), on the last trip out. Was flying in the rain!

Cheers,
Shane.
Aug 18, 2019, 07:49 AM
GLM
GLM
AMA 209854
Congratulations Roger!

Welcome to the ranks of the Lammerse Goose Pilots Association. We are few but we are mighty.

Bart - your flock grows.

Cheers!

Gary
Aug 18, 2019, 07:56 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thread OP
@ Roger , Nice flying!

You totally greased the landing on that first video. As Shane mentions getting the right angle and sink rate is critical to have it settle gently on the water. Cool to see you are not afraid to fly in some less then perfect conditions, the model handles it well, remind my of my second flight with the prototype.

Thanks for sharing Roger, really appreciate it.

Bart

Quick Reply