Jul 15, 2001, 07:25 PM
Thread OP

Have you ever soar with the eagle and get attacked by it, share your stories!

Hi all

For most of the sailplanes flyer, soaring with the bird, be it at the slope or thermaling, it is an undescribeable feeling.

I have soar with them about few times after I re-started my hobby interest again. Every time, they will dive at my glider, and yesterday, they grab my GL wing for a sec and let go.

Deep down inside, I was hoping they will chase me, at the same time, scared stupid to have my GL ruined. Anyhow, it let go and I just basically have a gentle dog fight with the big bird. Its almost the size of my GL, so he/she probably toying with me. Did some diving, and some loop with the bird.

Let me off, soar a bit more, landed, and voila! The big bird thumbprint.. nail print on my wing. Luckily, he did not crush the wing. I can see the imprint of his talon on one of the rib.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2001, 09:29 PM
YAW STRING
I have soared with buzzards, hawks, and other small birds.I have never had one attack, they seem interested at first, then quickly leave the area.
Regards,
Shelby
Jul 15, 2001, 10:54 PM
Flying on the slope (wish I could remember the model, really old) and out of the corner of my eye, I saw an eagle passing by about 10' out. As I looked, he saw my model, and immediately the tip feathers came out and he banked towards my plane. He got within about 5' and then heard the servos buzz, decided it was not a threat, and went back to his previous course. Sill yme, I gave chase: he looked over his shoulder, folded up, and shot out of sight FAR faster than I could ever achieve with my ...Bunny! I TOLD you it was an old model!
Jul 15, 2001, 11:37 PM
Can't speak for the birds, but they are curious at your bird. You would have done similar thing if you see something really interesting too. Touch, poke, smell after look.

I don't think they are going to touch my propellered plane.

Treat them nice,
Charles
Jul 15, 2001, 11:40 PM
KLH
KLH
Pack Rat
Just got back from a trip where I did some flying with a Bleriot III on floats (see post in the slowfly section) Two Osprays that live on the lake where I was flying didn't attack my little plane but every time I did a touch an go they would put up a real fuss and do some stoops on it. I guess they thought there was a new bird in town and it was going to steel some of their fish. The first couple of times I thought they might really attack the plane, but they never got closer than 10'-15'.

Kern
Jul 16, 2001, 12:22 AM
Thread OP
Here, we fly both gas and electric together. Talk about congestion.

The birds have attacked both IC and electric. Mainly electric glider. Can't blame them with the polyhedral wing, it does look like another big bird in their territory.

But at the same time, we need them to show us the thermal.

Yesterday was my first real physical GL contact with them.
Jul 16, 2001, 12:34 AM
The hawks, pelicans, seagulls and every other type of bird that comes near, turns at the first sight of any plane where I fly.
Jul 16, 2001, 02:14 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Years ago I had a plane called a Whatt's Up..a little glider that almost looked like a simple 400 with a flat bottom 52in? glider wing. Had a ferrite Astro 035 in it...as I said, it was several years back!!!

Anyway, I had it up in a thermal, just about
specked out, when this hawk came by flew around it, and then tucked and rammed me. I was so high I couldn't tell if he actually hit it, but when I landed the talon marks were in the covering.

Then there's this sparrow at our soccer field flying site...he's another story!!

Later,
David
Jul 16, 2001, 08:41 AM
Two incidents for me....

1) Slope flying my Zagi EPP at an abandoned land-fill and the first toss as i flew back across the lip, a hawk takes to the air and chases Me !! I Zigged and Zagi'ed - got far enough away it flew back to a tree near where it launched. Every time i came near that spot it gave chase again. I figure it must have been a female with a nest being protective - I let her have her peace and move my location

2) What are those little birds that chase the bigger ones (like hawks) until they leave ?? well....One had a serious problem with my WindStar lazilly circling around and chased me for a bit....until i powered up and did a loop coming out on its Six !! It kinda flew away in a hurry after that maneuver Ha !

Alan W
Jul 16, 2001, 09:43 AM
Old Timer
Some years ago a hawk/buzzard brought down an old timer (gliding) at a contest at Taft. Eut
Quote:
Originally posted by Magna:
Hi all

For most of the sailplanes flyer, soaring with the bird, be it at the slope or thermaling, it is an undescribeable feeling.

I have soar with them about few times after I re-started my hobby interest again. Every time, they will dive at my glider, and yesterday, they grab my GL wing for a sec and let go.

Deep down inside, I was hoping they will chase me, at the same time, scared stupid to have my GL ruined. Anyhow, it let go and I just basically have a gentle dog fight with the big bird. Its almost the size of my GL, so he/she probably toying with me. Did some diving, and some loop with the bird.

Let me off, soar a bit more, landed, and voila! The big bird thumbprint.. nail print on my wing. Luckily, he did not crush the wing. I can see the imprint of his talon on one of the rib.
Jul 16, 2001, 11:08 AM
I slope soar off cliffs over the ocean and have flown with seagulls many times and eagles once. Never had a problem. My spirit glider is grey and white mainly so I guess they think its just a very big seagull.
Jul 16, 2001, 11:25 AM
It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by a bunch of turkeys.

I couldn't resist.
Jul 16, 2001, 06:18 PM
Back in the late 70's I was a member of the Hill Country Fliers in Morgan Hill, Ca.

We flew at a beautiful site of a avaition museam and resturant on the east side of Santa Clara Valley.

One of the members was a very good stunt flier. He had about a 1/5 scale Bucker Jugman. This was a real slick airplane.

One saturday morning a Res tailed Hawk joined us. It did not bother us at all.

But jack decided to pester the hawk. After getting buzzed a couple of times the hawk went STRAIGHT UP like a helicopter. After getting between 50 and 100 feet above Jack's Bucker, the hawk folded it's wings, stuck out it's talons, and hit the Bucker square in the center of the upper wing causing the plane to disintigrate immeadiatly.

While Jack stood there in shock the rest of us could not stop laughing.

The moral of the story is. "DON"T MESS WITH THE HAWK".

Every time any of us get together we still laugh about it. this was in the days before CamCorders. But it all happened so fast we probably would have missed it anyway.

Robbie
Jul 16, 2001, 06:35 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
well, I try and buzz crows and upset them because I just don't like crows period. The other day, a small blackbird came after ME.. not the plane.. I was flying and this little guy was hovering right over my head, squawkin away, putting on quite the show, and coming within feet of my head. darting and dodging around.. man, he was pissed off!.. so, I brought the skyscooter around and tried diving on him.. He was WAY to quick, and as soon as the scooter was out of the way, he'd be back on me, going for my head... very strange, haven't seen him since.I tried moving to the other side of the field, and this wasn't good enough for the little guy, he wanted me OUT of there.

[This message has been edited by tic (edited 07-16-2001).]
Jul 16, 2001, 08:45 PM
I was flying my Push E Cat with some hawks when one of them stooped and hit my plane in the side. I'm glad the plane is so durable because it cracked the foam but I was able to land the plane after making several wide turns. The adrenalin was pumping though!!
Later,
Don

Quick Reply