Nov 07, 2014, 10:20 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, when it comes to laying out big cash for something that can be gone in seconds, I think long and hard before spending. I generally look for 2nd hand deals, or projects.
Seriously thought about buying one of the blowout priced FEJ, and going thru it, but its just too big for EDF. Its too big for my truck, for my field, and now you can't fly them at most events

IMHO as many have said in the past, 1/10th is too small. I thought I could take advantage of the small size, and go with high output 90s

I don't think the weight of the mechanical components/airframe will change too much between 1/10 and 1/9, but you would gain a lot of lifting area, fuse and wings. Would be a better flying plane, and when it comes to transporting and such, not that much bigger

While I wish the Yellow F-14 was still around, honestly, it was beyond my means back then, and I don't think I could convince myself to do it now
Last edited by 70 ragtop; Nov 07, 2014 at 10:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2014, 11:01 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
Rational thinking vs an impulse buy-- what a unique idea!!

I like to scratch build--not always so cheap, but at least the cost is absorbed over time. Besides , I need something to do now that I'm retired.
Nov 07, 2014, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
Yeah, when it comes to laying out big cash for something that can be gone in seconds, I think long and hard before spending. I generally look for 2nd hand deals, or projects.
Seriously thought about buying one of the blowout priced FEJ, and going thru it, but its just too big for EDF. Its too big for my truck, for my field, and now you can't fly them at most events

IMHO as many have said in the past, 1/10th is too small. I thought could take advantage of the small size, and go with high output 90s

I don't think the weight of the mechanical components/airframe will change too much between 1/10 and 1/9, but you would gain a lot of lifting area, fuse and wings. Would be a better flying plane, and when it comes to transporting and such, not that much bigger

While I wish the Yellow F-14 was still around, honestly, it was beyond my means back then, and I don't think I could convince myself to do it now
Yea no kidding on the YA F14. If my memory is right, that kit was like $6500-7500 back towards the last of its availability.

The 1/10 could be flown on 90's with good performance, but only if it was 26lbs at most. One could be kept at that weight, but some weight savings measured would have to be done.
Nov 07, 2014, 11:21 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
i agree...if you can keep it to 26lbs should do well on 90s.
Nov 07, 2014, 11:24 AM
KingtechUSA
The BVM F16 is tiny and your F14 is not much bigger.

Maybe some 100's but I don't see the need for 120's. If you can only get 100mm worth of air through the inlet a 120mm fan is just extra weight and space plain and simple. You can only push out the back what you take into the front its not like turbines.
Nov 07, 2014, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd
The BVM F16 is tiny and your F14 is not much bigger.

Maybe some 100's but I don't see the need for 120's. If you can only get 100mm worth of air through the inlet a 120mm fan is just extra weight and space plain and simple. You can only push out the back what you take into the front its not like turbines.

I agree something in between the 90 and 120 would be good. Don't laugh too hard, but I don't want to spend $400-500 for a TJ100-110. The low cost, great performance of the Jet Fan is what got me coming back to Jets.

Smallest area on inlet is roughly 98% FSA for the either a EVF or JF-120s. A little bigger would be better sure, but you don't think 98% would be OK??

I'm liking the 10S idea. That's how I fly all my other stuff, (warbirds), so I have lots of 10S (6&4s)packs. With four packs per flight, going to run out of 6S packs fast. Currently flying P-38 on 10S, and have packs for 3 flights (12 packs) before needing to recharge. Usually bring more than one plane, so that's enough for me

Well I need the finish the ducts to do testing. I think I'm just going to go the 120 duct route. Ducts are actually used to add structural strength to the front of the plane (which I don't really like)
Nov 07, 2014, 12:50 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
98% is plenty. if you have that much i vote 120s for sure
Nov 07, 2014, 01:33 PM
KingtechUSA
yea 98% is fine. I thought you where saying it had smaller inlets then that.

Last year a guy offered me his jetmart F14 if I would supply the power system and batteries and I would also fly it because his eyes where not good enough to fly. But at the end of the day it was still his plane and I didn't want to put that kind of money into something that I didn't own. Was a very nice plane would have been fun.

I will have a skymaster F14 at my house soon but it is Barrys from Kingtech. I will be getting it ready for FLjets and topgun this next year. Cant wait to see it!
Nov 07, 2014, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
They looked smaller, but when I got them out last weekend, and got some good measurements, realized they were bigger than I initially thought

So 120's it is

The SM F-14 looks awesome, and sounds like a cool project. Would love to have one, just not in the cards

Thanks
Nov 07, 2014, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 ragtop
They looked smaller, but when I got them out last weekend, and got some good measurements, realized they were bigger than I initially thought

So 120's it is

The SM F-14 looks awesome, and sounds like a cool project. Would love to have one, just not in the cards

Thanks

To put yours and mine into perspective, my inlets have 100% FSA for a fan up to around 8-9"dia.
Nov 08, 2014, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
Spent a couple hours on right inlet today. Modifying the existing duct to fit the JF120 was proving more of a PITA than it was worth, so we'll do it this way

Got the plug for the right side roughed out. Hopefully can finish it up, and lay that one up tomorrow

What is a good layup weight for the glass?

Think I have some 3, and 6 oz cloth. Was thinking two layers of 3, and one layer of 6 on the outside, then two wraps of carbon tape under the wingbox. and some carbon tow wraps. Will wrap the front half as well
Nov 08, 2014, 11:26 PM
I'm working on converting one of these as well to two JF120s, and didn't really want to modify the inlets. I know Rainier was working on a intake lip for this fan. What would you guys think of running a semi open intake mounting the fans behind the existing intakes?
Nov 08, 2014, 11:34 PM
Classic jets rule
I'd use one layer of 3 and one of 9 oz. And maybe some cf tow.its round so will be hard to collapse.
Nov 08, 2014, 11:38 PM
Classic jets rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Flop
I'm working on converting one of these as well to two JF120s, and didn't really want to modify the inlets. I know Rainier was working on a intake lip for this fan. What would you guys think of running a semi open intake mounting the fans behind the existing intakes?
Too much crap in front of fans.....don't want to for out a fan.....then the other one eats those pieces and your dead stick or worse. Cut a servo wire
Pretty easy to carve a plug,finish it with packing tape,wax/PVA and lay up on it.to make a adaptor.
Nov 09, 2014, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
Too much crap in front of fans.....don't want to for out a fan.....then the other one eats those pieces and your dead stick or worse. Cut a servo wire
Pretty easy to carve a plug,finish it with packing tape,wax/PVA and lay up on it.to make a adaptor.
I realize there's a risk of sucking something into the fan, just want to know how it would effect performance.

Quick Reply